3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve vs Longbow  (Read 682 times)

Offline BBrakke

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve vs Longbow
« on: July 17, 2012, 01:02:00 AM »
I was just wondering what everyone prefers and why? Also, any suggestions on one of them for hunting/target shooting?

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve vs Longbow
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 01:11:00 AM »
It all comes down to preference and confidence. Shoot what you hit best with and like to shoot. Shoot what you have confidence in IMO.
I prefer stringfollow longbows with straight handles cause I shoot them best and they just have more stability for my style of shooting.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 02:55:00 AM »
I like them all.  I own a one piece recurve, one piece r/d longbow, 3 piece r/d longbow, and a ILF set up with a set of long TT carbon/wood recurve limbs and short Dryad epic static limbs. Have to say I love all in there own ways.

Lately I due tend to shoot the ILF set up more then the others. They are very adjustable and being able to adjust weight, tiller and play with limbs from multiple companies makes tuning and finding what works best for you a breeze. Plus the performance is awsome.  You can have a longbow or recurve with the same riser and have a short bow or a longer recurve by buying just limbs that are ILF. Its a awsome system IMO

If I could buy another hunting set up right now I would get a 17" TT titan II riser and dryad epics medium limbs with the bamboo core. The titan risers are nice and the dryads are so smooth to draw and whip out an arrow.

As for longbows im happy with my hunterbow, Idaho curt on here makes them and they are really nice and look so good.

If you want a high performance longbow that wont break the bank check out omega longbows, this bow flat out shoots heavy arrows, fastest shooting bow I own and accurate as well. He makes one and 3 piece bows 62-66".

Cant go wrong with hitman longbows as well, they look like a cross between a longbow and recurve and are real shooters, I wouldnt mind owning one of his bows and he has some skill.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 03:35:00 AM »
You'll have to pull my ACS long bow from my dead hands,I'm kinda partial.  :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
I shoot and love them both!

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 07:07:00 AM »
To be fair this is too generic of a comparison to make. There are many different types of longbows and recurves to make a fair comparison. I used to think longbows were more difficult to shoot, but that was just my bad form talking. Now I can shoot both equally well including my self bows. I just finished up a bamboo bow kit from Mike Yancy and it shoots as well as anything I have, including several high priced bows.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 09:13:00 AM »
I prefer longbows over recurves. I have 64 inch d-shaped longbow and a 58 inch reflex/deflex longbow. Both are Bamabows and the ones I shoot the most.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
I have and shoot both, however I seem to shoot my recurves better....
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 09:31:00 AM »
I'm a "both" guy, and shoot one Black Widow of each.  The BW bows have similar performance, it's just a different experience to shoot one or the other.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
Hill and Ferguson used Longbows....
Enough said....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Blue Tick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
I have and really like both. When I first started shooting trad, I could not shoot a recurve well. For a while it was only longbows. I recently picked up a Dryad Orion recurve and seem to shoot it well so far. It is shooter preference though.
Sarrels Blue Ridge SR "Autumn Hunter"
Lone Star Skull Works

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
Longbow - it's the Sherwood Forest factor, mostly.  When I did archery/bowhunting in my teens in the early to mid 70s, almost all of the commercially available bows were recurves. Coming back all these years later, I'm satisfying my itch to master and hunt with longbows.
Jim

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »
I like them both and have mine tuned so I don't have to make much of an adjustment to hit what I'm shooting at....

><>>

Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
I like them all but, I'm more comfortable with the longbow types. I like the handles, quietness & stability  of the longbows. Recurves are some of the most beautiful bows made. Longbows have their own simple beauty the is hard to describe.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
I like the simplicity of a longbow; no worries about twisted limbs, no stringers to forget, light weight and a delight to carry.

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
I'm Recurve guy  :archer:  and look of long bows.
>>>--->~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@
But if you're coming from Wheel bows to REAL bows, a recurve with the pistol grip sometimes feels more familier
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »
I have both. If you made me choose one or the other it would be recurves though do to better maneuverability in your thick foliage while hunting.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Mongo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
I have both, in fact I have many of each and just grab whatever suits my fancy as I head out of the house.  IF, I had to choose I would probably go with one of my recurves.
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
LongBow .... Hands Down!!  :thumbsup:   Why? Because Not Just Everybody can Shoot a LongBow and Be Good at It!!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
First I admit I've shot only one Longbow and didn't like it. That bow rattled the tar out of my bow arm elbow and it was noisy, not something you hear much about Longbows. That bow is no longer manufacturered.

I really had no interest in LBs even before shooting that one. I like recurves. First and foremost I like the look of recurves and not just any recurve. I prefer more mass in the riser than many of the ones made or modeled after those from the 1950's and eariler.

I love the graceful curve of the recurve limb tips before and throughout the draw. I like the grip and the balance.  I appreciate beautiful handiwork and nicely grained woods. The recurve has more "room" for such wood in the riser than most LBs.  

Of course now some of the best recurve TDs also have longbow limb option. I avoid them. I am too attached to my curves and I don't want to risk thinking less of them.

I know, very little of what I feel and just wrote makes any practical sense at all.  But I took the impractical fork in the road way back in the 1960's when I chose the bow over other equipment.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©