3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve vs Longbow  (Read 680 times)

Re: Recurve vs Longbow
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
Right handed - I swing draw, bite into my anchor and release in about one second, my most accurate and powerful shot. I cannot get a recurve pointed with that tempo. Left handed- I can shoot slower, aim longer and release with a recurve and do well enough. However, when shooting a longbow I shoot them almost the same as I do right handed. It is important when shooting with that swing draw tempo, to intentionally practice your anchor and follow through separately from trying to hit something.  Developing a weak anchor is a common problem with that Hill like form.

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 09:09:00 PM »
I shoot both.  I'm more consistent with my recurves, but really enjoy shooting a longbow.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
My vote goes for Hill style longbows.  I like their simple beauty.  Which ever route you take don't overbow yourself.

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 12:05:00 AM »
Really just depends on the bows. For me I like both. I have each. My long bow is hard to beat. TT Titan with carbon master LB limbs...best bow I've owned to date.

Offline stickum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
Other than personal preference, what are the attributes of one over the other,  Longbows more stable and forgiving of form errors?  Recurves store more energy and cast an arrow faster? Or does it really just come down to which style of grip fits your hand better? Thanks.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
I like longbows more, but can't give any reason that it is better than a recurve. As so many say, it is a matter of personal, b ut inexplicable,  preference. I still take out my recurves from time to time, though.
Sam

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 05:15:00 AM »
to this point of the two I've only owned recurves.  I've only shot one longbow and it belonged to a guy at an archery shop I was in.  He put a copenhagen can on the target at their 15yd indoor lane and I was hitting by the second shot.  The bow was just a Martin but it was a nice shooting bow.  I'm pretty sure when I'm ready to buy another bow it will be a longbow but I'll still keep shooting my recurves too.  Basicly I like anything that sends a projectile downrange.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
I have both, but have come to prefer the longbows.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
As much as i love the look of recurves, i just cant make myself enjoy shooting one.  The limbs always seem so thin and fragile, you have to use a stringer, even the quiet ones are louder than my longbow, the grips usually feel funny. I could go on....just personal preference.  At the end of the day, i'm a longbow guy.

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
I have more recurves then longbows, but I prefer a longbow. I don't know why, I just do.   :dunno:

Schafer
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline Feather Flinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
I have both and tend to enjoy shooting my longbow more but my recurve performs much better.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
I have owned both, but only have longbows now because I shoot them better.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »
Can't really tell the difference anymore with RD longbow and recurve. It comes down to riser preference. Try out a bunch! Many bowyers will send you a trial bow.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Same here as many others.  I started with a recurve and can shoot it really well (at least for me).  Got some R/D longbows and love them as well. The long bows are lighter and have a quickness to them that is not a measure of arrow speed, just how they handle.  I really like my short longbow, but found it takes more focus, which makes my form better.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
I can see a lot of opinions coming at you on this question. Im a longbow fan at heart, basicly because of the very simple design of the bow, but I enjoy my recurves as well, Its kinda like comparing apples to oranges, theres no right or wrong choice just personal preference. My best advice would be to try as many of each as possible before buying as stated above.

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
Maineac and Feather Flinger Flinger about sum it up for me...
JW
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2012, 12:30:00 AM »
I'll take a Tomahawk longbow any day and every day! They are light weight, fast, no handshock, and beautiful what more can you ask for.
James Kerr

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
I prefer longbows, particularly the reflex/deflex styles.  They are just simpler and more stable to me.  The only big benefit to recurves for me is that because they are shorter, they can be fit in brush better when hunting.  However, I've not had that much of a problem with my longbow fitting.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
I shoot and like both. I think my longbow is much less forgiving of sloppy form and is very sensitive to hand pressure. Too much finger on the back of the handle and I shoot right. Too much heel on the palm swell and I shoot left. And it really makes me focus. But I notice that after shooting longbow for a couple of days, I'm much better with my recurve.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »
I tend to like hybrids...
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©