3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Finding moose in Wyoming  (Read 193 times)

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
Finding moose in Wyoming
« on: July 17, 2012, 08:05:00 PM »
Suppose just you and your Black Widow were going to Wyoming with a unit 34 cow moose tag in your pocket and you had around 10 days to find a cow without a calf in a non-wilderness area.  Where would you look    :knothead:    :D     ?
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Finding moose in Wyoming
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
I would look along the creeks in the willows. Good luck, have a great hunt!
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
find water find moose, and elk,and deer, and bear, especially in years like this where the western states are SOO dry. Moose really like creeks, and beaver ponds. I run across them mostly in shade and thick clumps of willows. You should see plenty of fresh sign. And everytime i've ran across them unintentionally huntng deer or elk, they showed no fear of humans and were easy to get close to. So, Good luck to ya!
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Yep along the creeks and willows. If really want help take me with you   :readit:
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
Looks like the north west corner of the unit has the most water...  That's where I'd start. Wyoming fish and game has always been very helpful when I've called and asked for information.

I'd love to have that tag  :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
Also, dont ignore open, grassy, mountain meadows, morning and afternoon. I see alot in there in CO so I suspect WY is the same. But usually thats where the creeks and willows are as well.
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
You should have no problem locating one in that unit.  Take Hwy 16 West out of Buffalo, toward Ten Sleep.  There is a creek with willows that parallels on the left (South) side of the highway. (As you are ascending)  We see them many, many evenings along there.  Saw some last week up there. We see most of them past the Tie Hack reservoir turn off, up to Meadowlark lake. I wouldn't bother too much prior to Tie Hack, but have seen plenty past Meadowlark too.  Saw some nice bulls last week too. If you can get a day or two of scouting in, take some of the unimproved roads off to the left and you will find the beaver ponds and flooded areas.   Moose love those areas.  If it is warm, it will be the last hour of light before you really see much activity... although we do see them mid-day at times.  Good luck!
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
Oh, a word of caution, those little beaver runs that are only a foot or two wide that run between the ponds... don't fall in them!!! Some may be shoulder deep!  I have filled my waders in those darned things.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
In 34 I woul cover a lot of country glass hard in the bottoms and get there before the cold.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 06:54:00 AM »
Awesome info guys, I'm getting pretty pumped up.  I should arrive around September 13th or 14th and hopefully get to scout then hunt through opening week.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline Jim Dahlberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »
Just FYI, several years ago we had the opportunity to stalk a cow with what looked like a calf but was 2/3 the size of the cow.  They stayed together constantly.  After discussing the situation with the local WY CO, he told us we could have shot the calf since it is considered "antlerless".  So a calf is legal game with an antlerless tag in WY. Also be VERY sure that a cow in the willows does not have a calf following her that you can't see.  We had several stalks where that happened and arrows were drawn when a calf stepped out after the cow.  Just a precaution.  Good info from everybody above.  Was with a friend that killed a nice bull in that unit some years back spotted from the highway.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©