3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bare shaft tuning  (Read 386 times)

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
Bare shaft tuning
« on: July 18, 2012, 07:10:00 AM »
I am currently Bare shaft tuning my bow.  I am running 2117 alum on a 50# at 28" Martin vision (reflex Deflex).  I pull 29" so I am around 53lbs.  I have 125grn head.  
  I shoot and the bare shafts are shooting just about 2-3 inches lower than my arrows that are fletched but are hitting the target with a terrable angle.  Knocks pointing towards the ski.  Should this be corrected before trying heavier grn heads.  If so how do I correct it.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bare shaft tuning
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 07:53:00 AM »
Try a lower nock point on your string.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Medley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 08:25:00 AM »
Lower your nock point in extrremely low increments. Using masking tape is a great way to do this. You will have a very small window where this gets corrected, hopefully.

But any lower than that, you will strtgetting the same reading. Tuning is a game of micro adjustments

Offline Medley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 08:29:00 AM »
I shoot similar specs to you, and will also be bareshafting some 2117s this week. At first, I thought they had a horrible cast for me past 20. They bareshaft fine out to 20, but take a wined nose dive before they hit 30 yards.

So, like you, I need to fine tune that nock point

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
It could be one of, or a combination of a few things.

First, if you don't already have one, put a second nock set below the arrow. Nock an arrow and butt it up to the top nock set. Place a second nock set below the arrow and leave a 1/16" gap. The reason is that, upon release, the arrow will slide down the string and bounce off the shelf, making tuning impossible.

Once you have the second nock set on, shoot again. If the problem is still there, slightly lower your nock sets. If the problem gets worse, you were too low to begin with and need to raise your nock sets.

Lastly, if the problem still remains, it could be your form. There have been a couple of recent threads on the subject, and, in both situations, the shooters' drawing arm elbow was a touch high and was effectively causing the index finger to push the arrow down into the shelf.

If adjusting your nocks doesn't solve the problem, take a video or some pictures and post them over in the shooter's forum.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
I use a Hill bow similar in draw weight and I draw 29"....
    I use legacy 2016 cut to 29" w/125 up front.
I get great flight out of this set up....
    I do think 2117 are a bit stiff....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
Your nock pt maybe too low to begin with and will cause a big kick up in the arrow off the shelf.  I have never tuned a bow with a nock pt lower then 1/2in high and typically most of my setups run from 1/2-3/4 nock high depending on tiller and arrow size.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
My knock point right now is at 1/2.  I shoot 3 under with the arrow under the knocking point so I don't think I am pushing the arrow down but will look at that tonight for sure.  
  Is there something else other than crimping the knocking point on and off to use so it is a little faster to move your knocking point around?  I tried dental floss tied around the string but my arrows would slide up the string over the floss.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline Medley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »
Use masking tape

Offline Medley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
Hey biggamefish, ever get that arrow straightened out? Those 2117s working good for you?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©