3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bivy in for Whitetail?  (Read 585 times)

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
Bivy in for Whitetail?
« on: July 18, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
I'm trying to put together a 5-6 day hunt in a wilderness area, for whitetail.  I'll be going solo, and expect to pack in somewhere and hunt from there.  

This is something new for me.  I am not a very good whitetail hunter, but want to do something new this year.  The area I want to hunt is public land, hundreds of miles away.  I won't be able to scout it out.  I most probably won't see it in person until I get there to hunt.  I will be sticking to the ground, as well (no tree stands).

Can any of you experienced whitetail guys give me any advice, tips, thoughts?
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bivy in for Whitetail?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
Sounds like fun! I'd start by checking out some online scouting tools like Google Earth for any area you're considering. Someone will be able to tell you about others, I'm sure. I was thinking of doing something similar this year if my usual spots get crowded...

Have fun and good luck! The planning is one of the best parts.

Get back in there and find good habitat, like forest edges (meadows/mature hardwoods, etc...)

Have a good pack big enough to haul all you need for the days you'll be there, plus room to haul meat (pack frame?) back out if you connect. Saves time and effort being ready. Think positive! Finding deer where no one else bothers to go will be a reward in itself, even just for the solitude and time to reflect it will provide...

Set up quick brush blinds downwind from good trail crossings between thick brush and oaks with acorns and hang out until you kill one, or until you see where they may be traveling nearby.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
I used to hunt a wilderness area in WV.There and many other Eastern states,you had to bring the deer out whole and present it to a checking station.In Federal Wilderness areas,vehicles of any kind are illegal,including bicycles and carts.Plastic sleds would be almost useless on mountain trails.

My first order of business would be to locate the states where you can cut up a deer for packing.I think WV may have relaxed that law but the way it is written is slightly ambiguous.It's a tough hunt but beautiful scenery.They have a decent population of bears also.Season starts Sept 29 this year.

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
Get a topo map of the area you plan to hunt. Look for saddles and other features you might think could force a deer to walk thru.  Once you find some likely looking spots, try to find ariel photos of those spots so you can tell what the vegetation is. Is a certain spot old growth timber, you will be able to see in there; cotover...too thick to see; or something in between. I've hunted "blind" like this before and done well.

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
First thing I would do is check the laws and regulations on where you are going to hunt.  Most places want you to camp in camp ground's.  Second, order of buisness is like said use google map or satilitte photos and topo to get a feel for the land, ensure you know how to use a compass and have one.  The next business I do is check on animals, hazards (poaching, insects, predators, poison Ivy,etc.)  I would then have a good plan for first aid, emergency situations.  Remember, not everywhere has cell phone reception.  then along with the terrain, I would become really familiar with weather of the area.  then I would start looking at what I would need, water being #1, I would have and emergency sterilizer for water.  Are you planning to live off the land?  Can I harvest small game and fish?  Can I have fire's in the area to hunt (been a dry year all across USA)?  What will I have to do with the game when it's down?

Offline RockChucker30

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
Get a summit trophy chair or a lone wolf seat off their climbing stand.  Or some kind of stool.  Hunting off the ground is much more fun if you're not standing 10 hours a day.  If you sit on the ground you're not in a position to shoot, and finding a log at the right spot doesn't always work.

More serious advice - buy and read Mapping Trophy Bucks.  I did before doing a hunt in Ohio just like you describe and was able to get on deer day one.  I found a nice ridgetop where several drainages met.  I found a couple of other saddles from the maps as well.
It ain't the bow, it's the Indian behind it.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 12:37:00 PM »
I've already investigated DNR regulations, and site-specific rules (wilderness camping, specifically).  And it's legal to quarter a deer to pack it out.  It's all a 'go' so far, as far as this stuff is concerned.

What about camping in the hunting area?  Will my presence cause deer evacuations?  How far should I hunt from my tent location?

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
To be on the safe side, as far away as you're comfortable with. With that said, I've had deer stroll through camp while I was hunting in lightly pressured areas, made me less concerned for sure about stinking up the place.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Archie:
I've already investigated DNR regulations, and site-specific rules (wilderness camping, specifically).  And it's legal to quarter a deer to pack it out.  It's all a 'go' so far, as far as this stuff is concerned.

What about camping in the hunting area?  Will my presence cause deer evacuations?  How far should I hunt from my tent location?
If you are right about the quartering thing,that is a big deal.Remember,that is a state by state issue.It has nothing to do with Federal Wliderness area regs.

As far as camping,it depends totally on the area.The wilderness area I hunted in,there were areas I would never camp during season but I did have a campsite that I could hunt 1/4 to 1/2 mile from with no problem.In areas where backpackers use the trails,deer get accustomed to their presence on the trails and frequently used camp sites.The hikers usually hike till late afternoon,camp and move on in the morning.They don't normally go far off the trails.

These same deer that pay little attention to you around the camp sites,will be wild if they see you back off the beaten paths.

This is big woods hunting though and there are few defined or isolated food sources.Where I hunted,there were few worn deer trails and a lot of the feeding was random.There were creek crossings,saddle and some edges and later some rub and scrape lines.

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 03:29:00 PM »
All good advise above, but (this coming from an older and less ouick to mend geezer) don't take unnessary chances where you may injure youself, far far away from help. Don't mean to throw cold water on your adventure, but something to keep in mind. Hope you have a very good trip.
     A friend of mine and I had planned to do this same thing a long time ago and it never materialized, so I envy you. Best of luck.
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
Thanks for good advice.  I am a Type I diabetic, very insulin-dependent, with an insulin pump.   This will take some care, but I'm also very active and have a good handle on how to stay on top of things.  And in general, I try to go as safely as possible, probably too much so... but I like it that way.

I've been complaining about my poor local hunting opportunities for long enough.  I want to get out and give it the old 'college try' while I still can.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
Check the moon tables before you schedule your trip and be aware of when the rut is on in the area you are going to be hunting. Water will be very important to you. Figure out what you need and take it with you for sure. Don't forget your game bags. They will help to keep your meat clean as well as your pack. Preplan your menu. Weigh your food items, cooking utensils etc and make sure your pack will handle what you need. I prefer to set up a base camp and venture out from there with a bivy and back pack. A couple days out and then back to the base camp to get a good nights sleep and refuel. You might want to check with the local ranger, wardens or wildlife management people for help and suggestions. The ones I delt with in Alaska were quite helpful. Final suggestion, take a look and consider buying a Waldrop Pack chair. It could turn out to be the best money you've ever spent. Good luck, have fun and be careful.  :thumbsup:

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 05:45:00 PM »
Sounds like you're going to be heading to northern Wisconsin, Michigan or Minnesota.  Thick country  Good idea to camp near a creek so water is available.  Plan to bring a purifier and/or boil your water.  If you will be in one of the three states mentioned, don't need to get more than a mile or so off the road and you'll be away from just about everyone else.  Won't need to go more than a couple hundred yards from camp to hunt.  Of course, bring a compass (or two) and know how to use it.  Good luck.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
Google earth might help you scout
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 06:36:00 PM »
archie;

From one diabetic to another-have you ever down this before? Ever bivy hunted or even bivy packed in any wilderness before?
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
Kelly-
I spent most of my growing up years in Alaska, and have hiked, slogged, climbed, and camped many miles.  Never as a diabetic, though.  I woke up diabetic one day at 38 years old.  I have bivy-ed many times, but never outside of Alaska for more than a day or two.  I'm no green tenderfoot, but not Grizzly Adams either.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
I would suggest that you come to Missouri, but I am not sure how far you are wanting to travel or what type of terrain. We have thousands and thousands of acres of public ground here. I went up north last year near the Iowa border and there was almost no one else on the 8,000 acre conservation area.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 08:30:00 PM »
Other than the adventure- I am not sure in most areas there would be much advantage to a bivy hunt for whitetail.  I would think you would be far more effective to camp close to your vehicle and hike a mile into the prime hunting ground.  A mile hike to most midwest ground is 20-30 min. But again. . . the adventure may be worth it for you.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
Sounds like a cool idea to me! I've always wanted to do that myself. Just give it a go and enjoy yourself!

Jason

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©