3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Come along on a DIY elk hunt with me this year in Colorado. Pictures added  (Read 5129 times)

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Come along on a DIY elk hunt with me this year in Colorado. Pictures added
« Reply #160 on: September 28, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
Anybody hear anything out of Gil? Did he make back out ok?
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Come along on a DIY elk hunt with me this year in Colorado. Pictures added
« Reply #161 on: September 28, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
I too was wondering how Gil has done.

My hunt was great... but I didn't drop the string this year. I hunted the first 5 days solo and passed on a calf at 4 yds. as well as a couple of cows. One lone bugle that first week.

The second week was spent calling for my son. He missed his first bull (5X5) but got it on video (camera was attached to bow). His last evening I called in a HUGE 6X6 that I'm pretty sure would have made P&Y. He had thirds that were between 20 and 24". My son had him at 15 yds. but couldn't move as the bull had him "pinned down". Evening thermals gave him away before he could get a shot.

I then hunted solo the last 5 days. Called a 5X in to 15 yds. but didn't have the opening I needed for an ethical shot. Total bulls called in was 6.

Looking forward to next year.

Hope to hear from Gil soon.

Wayne
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Well I got back about a week ago and I just got caught up on other stuff.

Our elk heaven turned into Grand Central Station with 22 hunters in addition to us over two weeks.

All the activity plus the dry year they had pushed the elk down low.

I blew it on a small bull at 25 yards when I got picked off and my hunting partner shot under a 4 X 4.

Camp 2013 is all picked out for next year.

I also met a great Tradganger out there in the back country, which was a plus. He will remain nameless since he doesn't want anyone to know he knows me! I also met up with another Tradganger in town. Another plus.

It was nice seeing young men taking advantage of this type of hunting. They will be doing it for many years.

I will post some pictures and stories.

We packed in on horses and mules and that was an adventure in itself, but is definitely the way to go. I nearly went off a cliff on the way in and on the way out got bucked off over the mules head - BUT I STAYED IN THE SADDLE! The only problem was the saddle came off with me, over the mules front legs and head! Yeee Haaaaa!

I thought I had been thrown off a horse every way possible but I was wrong, mules have their own sneaky way of doing it. Good thing I still bounce good and don't break like a cheap whiskey bottle yet!

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline dlnwohio

• Trad Bowhunter
Glad to hear you had fun gil! It was nice to meet you as well! I sent you a pm about our hunt which was a great adventure too. We had em bugling all around. Just glad to hear you made it safely.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
David you are luckier than we were. I am glad to see you and your friends were into elk and had them bugling. The elk barely bugled by us because of all the human activity, including guys bugling their brains out. We bugled once the whole time we were there and three guys hunted us.

I am hoping next year will be like last year and the other hunters were put out by all the activity also. If not it will be time for a new spot.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Glad you guys had a good time and made it back safe. Gil, sounds like that mule has your number so pick a different one next year. Also sounds like you guys are really getting the hang of this elk hunting and it's only a matter of time before you  both get that big P&Y.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Brute killer

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for the pics.
Martin
"The first deer that gets close enough and I'm goin Womack on his ass!! " Charlie Lamb

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
This is a great thread, I have to periodically drag it out and read it again. Lots of good advice, I have dabbled in this some, doing it twice, and learning each time.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I've referred to it many times
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for the advice! This is on my bucket list.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
TTT for all those folks getting ready for Elk!!   Lucky SOB's!!!!      :D   This is always a great one to read through.
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
tons and tons of great info here

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
Great thread, Gil!  I hope you'll fill us in on your hunt this year as well.  This is also my goal, but closer to home!
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
Great thread, you are an inspiration to all. I'm heading out for my sixth DIY Colorado elk bowhunt but we mostly car camp and just bivy for 3 nites at a time.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Great to see this thread back up top for us elk chasers.

Good luck all and please tell your stories here!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
Gil, one thing I picked up here-and thanks again for posting all this-is the utility of a takedown bow!  I hadn't thought much about it until last night, and after mulling it over, I realize with a takedown, that would leave both hands free for the trekking poles.  I just may have to get a new Toelke!
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks guys for the comments I am glad you found the thread had some useful information. Good luck to everyone going this year. I am building a horse farm and have to take all my vacation for that this year. Next year Colorado elk again.

Last year we arranged a packer to take us in and out. We also arranged to have the elk packed out if we were successful.

I missed not backpacking in, but it added a lot of time to the hunt.

If you do go backcountry I would definitely arrange a packer to come in and get the elk out.

Going in on mules and horses are an adventure in itself. A lot of funny stories on the way in and out. Yee ha!

If you do go by horseback make sure to bring riding boots. Hunting boots won't do since the stirrups are narrow and can get your foot stuck in them when the rodeo starts!

Alex a two piece is very handy for hunting, even when deer hunting. Just take it apart put it in your quiver and you have two hands to drag. A three piece would also probably work well too. You can put the riser in your day pack and limbs in the quiver. A&H risers are small and all three pieces might fit in a quiver.

Good luck everyone.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
:campfire:      :campfire:   up for looper
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks. I'll definitely be using this for a reference.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
This was one awesome thread.  Man the mountains are calling me!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©