3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Come along on a DIY elk hunt with me this year in Colorado. Pictures added  (Read 5136 times)

Offline fivebears

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm not gonna be able to get this out of my head!Great read Gil,I'll be looking for more to come.Thanks

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Gil, Great pics. Thanks for the share. Looks to have been a great trip.Love to the great Elk.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Looking forward to the next installment, great thread!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
Hey Gil, nice job, well done, very inspirational. I'd like to add a couple observations, hope you don't mind.

First and foremost, give that partner of yours a big kiss  :bigsmyl: , I've partnered-up with a couple different guys for DIY elk hunts over the years and... well let's just say I'd rather solo than go through that again. Not that I would, I actually ended up with The best elk-hunting partner a guy could ask for, my son. And he just happens to live in great elk area in WY. I guess you could say I cloned my partner. ha

Secondly, I personally would not like your shelter. My last hunt in CO in 08 would have been a disaster, we had a 3 day stretch of constant rain, snow,sleet and high winds. We had wall tents, we packed in with beasts of burden, but no cots or wood stoves and nothing to read. I alternated my time laying in my bag and standing around a fire, getting soaked on one side and smoked on the other! If I were to do a backpack/horsepack I would look into getting a lightweight tipi w/woodstove. Just my .02 Bro

Tough gettin an "atta boy" outta fellow New Joisians
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I understand Tad but we made out OK in weather.

We had heavy winds, heavy snow and heavy rain. When you backpack in you don't have much choice.

We hunted in all of the weather except for the heavy rains. If I were gun hunting I would have hunted in them too, but bow hunting and the need for a blood trail cancels that idea for me.

This year I already spoke to the packer and I may bring in my Kifaru tipi and stove. That whole setup is only around 11 pounds I think. That all depends on whether we can have a fire by then. Right now there is a fire ban due to the wildfires they had this year. Hopefully it will be lifted by then.

If we can't have a fire I am going to go the same way, since once we get there, elk heaven may wind up not being what is was last year, so we will be hot footing it with packs again, once we get dropped off. If we have to we will travel another 10 miles. We will be OK with packer doing that if we get an elk, we have to just make sure we pack it to the area the packer is allowed to come into.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
As far as my partner is concerned, we get along great out there. He only called me obnoxious once on that trip. I must be slipping.

As far as kissing him he might have something to say about that. I have tried on many trips with him.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great job!  Someday after I retire from teaching I might get to do a hunt like that.  I will definitely need to hire a packer though.  Till then local hunts.  Only 2 more years until I can apply for another moose permit.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
You don't need a hunt like this since you live in Maine. Before we did this we would go to Maine for one or two weeks in November deer hunting. We would go in at Millinoket Maine and drive into timber company land up to Spider Lake. Moose Mountain is another home away from home. We will be going back there too. I shot a bear at Narrow Pond.

When I retire I will be doing elk or moose in September and BIG Maine whitetail in November. I should say if I can ever retire.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
Gil,

Thanks for such a great Thread! It made me remember how great elk hunting in the west is. I think you should consider a writing a book.

Charlie
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Awsome thread Gil, and very inspirational for me. Ive been dreaming of this type of hunt for serveral years now. Keep us posted, Ill be hanging on every word. Shane
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Super thread Gil! I've done several DIY elk hunts and loved everyone.The first one was when I paid $25 for a NR tag. I got caught in a terrible storm above timberline with a friend one time and there was no time to get off the plateau we were on, so we set up a two man tent. What a night!Broke fiberglas poles on a good tent. Also, went on one with a less than enjoyable friend. Pick your hunting partners carefully! Thanks again for a great thread!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline glass76

• Trad Bowhunter
Great thread, thanks for sharing your experiences,advice and pics.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Well I just got back from REI to get my food and some other small stuff. I am set and will start setting up my gear and packing my pack tomorrow.

I will be hiking a couple of miles everyday starting tomorrow with the full pack. I need to get my legs, back, shoulders, heart and lungs in shape again.

Monday night I start the gym for the stair stepper everyday from now until I leave.

Before I pack everything up I will take some pictures of the gear and tell you what worked and didn't work. I found some neat little things that were very useful.

I have also settled on the bow, arrow and broadhead I will be taking with me.

Today I was shooting my usual crocodile go to bow and the other bow I wanted to take. I am going with a Howard Hill Big 5 takedown 70" 70# @ 27, tapered Surewood arrows and Abowyer Brown Bear heads. This year crocodile stays home.

I also have horses but haven't ridden in a long time. I will be getting back in the saddle again, so when I go out there I don't look like a jerk on horseback. I am hoping my hunting partner does though. Ha! I am going to tell him my insurance company said I can not let anyone ride my horses or else they will drop me!

As soon as I get my equipment laid out and sorted out I will post with that information.

Thanks for the comments about the post. I hope it is going to be helpful for you in the future.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
This is going to get even better.

70#s at 27" Gil???  YOU DA MAN!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
Gil, enjoying your experiences and adventures a ton!  Keep up the good work!

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Super thread Gil,thanks so much for starting it!  :clapper:
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline ScouterMike

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Outdoors Den
Thanks Gil, the journey is truly the destination especially with hunts such as this. Your story here really highlights what a hunt can be.
Rom 1:20

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
Awesome thread Gil. You have inspired me to start doing some local camping and hunting. I would love to do an elk hunt but with my health I doubt that will ever happen. Thanks so much for the stories and pics.
You said you would have stayed 30 days if you had the food. Have you ever thought about having a plane or helecopter drop shot food in. I hope I don't sound dumb cause I know nothing about elk hunting..........yet.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
When I retire, if I can arrange the packer, I will stay out longer. I will stay the whole month of September. Elk season will have been over, but I can fish the last week and search for sheep and goats with a camera. I can also grouse hunt with the bow. With a packer I can bring in extra food and make a cache.

I have hunted out west and way up north west and September is one of the most beautiful times to be in the wilderness. Any remote area that has tall pointed trees and the rut is in September is my kind area. Both moose and elk rut in September.

I can't wait to retire.  

Right now I still work full time and will retire probably in four years when I am 62.

Both my hunting partner and I were very sorry to have to leave after 11 days. I can only stay away from work so long for now.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
I am going this year.. FINALLY! I put it off for way too long. I have dreamed of doing a back pack hunt for years and years. You just have to get up and go. Set your mind to it, plan, save, etc.. it will come together.

This thread is perfectly timed!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©