3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: string lenght HELP  (Read 402 times)

Offline H-MANEOD

• Trad Bowhunter
string lenght HELP
« on: July 18, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
I have a 54" recurve and a broken string.  I ordered a 54" string and had to put a ton of twists in it to get my 6.5 brace height.  Is the string safe or should I have ordered a shorter one and not shoot with the twisted string?
Kurt Heitman
Retired USAF EOD 1989-2009
MADDOG
FEDORA

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: string lenght HELP
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
If your bow is 54 inches AMO, the AMO string length would be 51 inches.  If your string is actually54 inches long, it's way too long.

Offline H-MANEOD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »
So you order strings 3 inches under the bows length.  Is it safe to shoot with a twisted up string?
Kurt Heitman
Retired USAF EOD 1989-2009
MADDOG
FEDORA

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »
Twists in a string are fine if you ordered the correct length to begin with.

If you ordered a longer length and put a bunch of twists in it, then don't shoot it. Could be dangerous.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
In a flemish twist string, some twisting is necessary to keep the string from unraveling.  Even with a continuous loop string (served ends), it's usually necessary to do some twisting to adjust brace height.  If you have one to three twists per inch of string length, you're OK.  If you have lots more than that, that's too much twisting, and you'll need to get a shorter string.  If you take the string off your bow and it starts to curl up like an overly twisted rubber band, it's twisted too much.

If the bow is marked AMO 54 inches, then yes, you order a string three inches shorter.  Not all bows are marked according to AMO standards, however.  The rule of thumb for non-AMO marked bows is 4 inches shorter than the bow length.  That works most of the time, but not always.

Measure your brace height with the string the way you have it.  Then take the string off and measure its length.  With those two numbers, a good string maker should be able to make a string the correct length for the brace height you want to achieve.  Good luck.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 12:03:00 AM »
SBD strings ask you to hang your old string by a peg and measure it that way. As stated above most recurve strings are 3" shorter tahn the bow measurenent nock to nock.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
Orion has it, except...don't take the string off to measure it, especially with so much twist in it.  If you have to take it off to measure it, be sure you don't let any twist out and measure it under tension.  Put one loop on a nail and a pencil in the other loop and pull it taut and measure.  Mention that is how you measured it when ordering.

Wouldn't hurt to make a note of the brace height, string length, string material and type, etc. for future referance.

Chad

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
Yep.  What Chad said.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
6.5" is way low for a recurve brace height.I'm not sure I'd measure THAT string.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
Good point--I missed that.  It does sound way low--an inch at least--for most recurves.

Chad

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
Well, from what I have read, the "original string broke". No reference there!
  First ?, what type, make bow?
  Second, where are you measuring brace height from? Throat, or back, or belly of riser?

Yes, an overly twisted string will give a wrong reading as to what is proper length for this bow and shooter!

A string that has has too much twist, works as spring! The material is no longer bearing or carring the load, as produced. Also the more twist, means more uneeded material... extra wasted weight!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 02:19:00 AM »
I wouldn't suggest shooting it with a ton of twists, but if it can be twisted enough to get the proper brace height, then it can be measured there and a new string made at the proper length.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 03:22:00 AM »
So sorry that I missed that your old string was broken. Senior moment. Everyone makes a mistake every now and then. Gosh. Talk to your string maker. Theres other things to consider besides just the string length too. LBR can fix you up.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©