3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: carbon arrow help  (Read 297 times)

Offline aquafang

• Trad Bowhunter
carbon arrow help
« on: July 18, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
I am finally going to make the change to carbons from cedar....Yikes....

I mainly shoot a 46# kota longbow and a 45# Bear takedown.  I don't want to spend a whole lot on carbons but I also want to see an improvement worthwile over the old school cedars.  I have no idea where to start.  I will be shooting 125 grain muzzy phantoms.  so will i need any insert weights....any info will be appreciated
thanks!!!
Trad only!

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: carbon arrow help
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
There are many who know a lot more than I do, but I have been finding 500 spine arrows working great with heavy points (200 to 250 gr.) at 29.5" on bows 45 to 57#.  For 125 gr heads you might want to go with a weaker spine.  I have CX heritage 150 and have really liked the Beeman ics hunters as well.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
I like the Beman MFX Classic 500's and with a heavy head even the 400's.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
How long is your draw?

Killdeer   :rolleyes:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
Ty with your draw and 100gr inserts you should be able to spine tune a 500 shaft on your bows, you will probably need to leave them long though so let your bareshaft tuning tell you what it needs to be.  Just put the 100gr insert and 125gt tip in a full length shaft and shoot, holding your bow straight up and down, if it is weak, cut 1/2in off and shoot again, keep trimming off the nock end until the enter the target straight or just slightly weak.   If they are stiff you will either have to add more tip weight or go down in spine.  
With a good release and form it really is a simple process and tells you exactly what you need to do.  Can also fine tune your nock height setting as well, but be sure to have it nock high enough to start to eliminate any shelf contact errors.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline Blue Tick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
I've been playing around with several arrows myself trying to find the best flight. This is the most frustrating part to me. My recurve is 44# and my longbow is 48#. Right now, I am shooting heritage 150's out of both with pretty good flight. I'm afraid 400 spine would be too stiff for my bows without a great deal on front end weight.
Sarrels Blue Ridge SR "Autumn Hunter"
Lone Star Skull Works

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
I like GT Trad blem arrows. $43 a dozen from Big Jim. Tough shafts, especially when footed.  I shoot the 1535's (.600) spine from my 45# recurves and 50# longbows, 29 inches long with 175 and 200 grain points respectively. My draw is 27 inches. You could step up to the 3555's (.500) spine if you want more weight up front or if you have a long draw. I agree with mark land, learn how to bareshaft tune, its the only way you will know what shoots best from your bows.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
Always go lighter than you think, as you can see from those who posted specs...they list a spine range, but really are "A" spine, and very much at the top end or higher than what they say! Otherwise you end up shooting 300 gr up front, which is okay, but not my preference.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 12:16:00 AM »
I would suggest getting the arrow dynamics trad lite shafts. They are a heavier spine but because of the taper they will fly better than most other shafts.
James Kerr

Offline aquafang

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
Ok so heres the deal....
I got a beeman ics hunter 400 to try with my bows.  At first i left it full length and i was shooting about 4" low at 10 yards.  So we cut 3" off the length and now with my 45# kota longbow they fly great with my 125gr.  Muzzy phantoms.  But they tail right out of the bear takedown bow and at 10 yards the arrow hits the target tail left.  So im guessing the speedier bear takedown  needs more weight up front??
Trad only!

Offline hedgerowhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 07:47:00 AM »
100gr inserts up front along with your 125gr phantoms "should" straighten them out.

Offline aquafang

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »
Are weighted inserts available for Beeman ICS Hunter arrows?
Trad only!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©