3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hill Style bow dimensions  (Read 599 times)

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hill Style bow dimensions
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »
Great stuff SportHunter, I will be sure to put this on the spreadsheet.  Help me out with Trapped, what do you mean by this?

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
Trapped (trapezoid) changes a rectangular shaped limb to a rectangular limb with unequal length sides. You could have a wider belly or back of the limb.  Trapped to back has narrower back, trapped to belly has narrower belly.

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 07:00:00 AM »
SportHunter, got it, thanks.  I haven't seen a longbow trapped to the back, all the ones I have seen are rectangled (rounded) or trapped to the belly.  My new to me Schulz is trapped to the belly.  My Hills are rounded edges with the glass about the same size on the back & belly.

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
Any other Hill type bow owners out there want to provide info?  The more we have the more information we all can share.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2012, 02:14:00 PM »
This is very interesting. Thanks for all the good info
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
Anyone else want to give up their bow info?

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
If i can figure out how to do all the measurements ill try to get schulz specs for you
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
khardrunner, that would be great, the more the merrier!
Joe

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2012, 12:22:00 AM »
Looks like this post kinda fizzled out but I have a few questions... How much longer is the top limb on a hill bow than the lower limb?

I ask this because I assume the standard grip of a hill bow is around 4-4.5" long.. The arrow shelf being at the top of the grip would easily put the shelf at 2" above the center of the bow. IMO that would require some fun tillering or a longer top limb...

Also am I correct that the grip is roughly 4-4.5"? My local archery shops never have any hill bows in stock for me to look at.
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2012, 12:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by rmorris:
Looks like this post kinda fizzled out but I have a few questions... How much longer is the top limb on a hill bow than the lower limb?

I ask this because I assume the standard grip of a hill bow is around 4-4.5" long.. The arrow shelf being at the top of the grip would easily put the shelf at 2" above the center of the bow. IMO that would require some fun tillering or a longer top limb...

Also am I correct that the grip is roughly 4-4.5"? My local archery shops never have any hill bows in stock for me to look at.
Two of my hills have 4 1/8" long handles and one is 4 1/4". The leather is slightly larger by ~1/8"

Offline DWilhelm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2012, 05:27:00 AM »
The lower limb on my 68" Big 5 is 1.5" shorter than the upper limb.  I think that is pretty much standard regardless of bow length, though I could be wrong.

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
Thanks for the information.
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
How close to center cut are Hill bows ?  Anyone got any close up pix of a Hill style handle. . side and front / back views that they can post ?

Anybody got any experience installing a two piece metal sleeve (take down sleeves) unit into a Hill style handle ?
ChuckC

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2012, 11:14:00 AM »
The true center of a Howard Hill and other Hill type bows should be about center of where your middle finger is on the handle. I replaced the leather on my new Half Breed and sure enough there was a mark with a pencil dead center of where my middle finger placement was on the handle. Its 1 1/2" below the shelf. Great info. I will get my 3 bows measurements and post soon.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
David  thanks.   !.25 to 1.5" above center line is a pretty standard location for the shelf. How about the other center. . . ?

Is the shelf cut to the centerline of the bow's width or beyond (or shy of it).  If you look at a strung bow, you can imagine the center line of each limb and see how the string, held over that line, compares to the shelf cut out on the riser.

Hill bows are kinda skinny and I don't believe that they are cut PAST center, I wonder if they are even cut TO center ?
ChuckC

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
Hey  Chuck they are cut close to 1/8" before center. I shoot without a sideplate and it really helps them shoot better.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »
Here is a list of the few that participated!

Offline ewoodie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2015, 05:20:00 AM »
Thx for all the info, after 28 years I, dust of my Howard Hill books,
And hooked again on archery, want to make a string follow easy to shoot, forgiving bow.

After Howards words, for hunting a sensitive bow does't  works.

I have an Martin ML 10 50# longbow is there interest for the dimensions?
You can do it!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2015, 05:29:00 AM »
imho, all that matters with a hill style american flat longbow design is how the limbs are set (straight, string follow or reflex), the nock-to-nock length, the handle shape, and the cut depth of the shelf.  riser length, limb core materials, glass, holding weight - all are important, too, but in a separate category.  the other dimensions are best left to the bowyer.  ymmv.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2015, 02:11:00 PM »
This does show more or less some of the numbers that bows have.  My bows have some differences.  Measurements of a loaded bow at brace are one thing, measurements at full draw can be another.  While limb timing is easily felt, measurements at brace are not a guarantee.  Bows with completely different specs can all have good limb timing.  I can flip my new bow upside down and it shoots identical as right side up.  The bows static measurements showed that it was possible and it is.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©