3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 238 times)

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« on: July 19, 2012, 04:18:00 AM »
I found this site doing a search for Traditional Archery the other day and decided to check it out. So far I like what I see.  I'm originally from SW Oregon outside Medford and then spent several years in Central OR just outside Bend and now I live in Tillamook on the NW coast.  We have excellent Roosevelt hunting and fair deer hunting but it's tough country in the coastal mountains.  We are looking to go back to Central Oregon hopefully before the end of the year. I started bowhunting in 84 with an old Bear Grizzly II compound I shot instinctive. I started shooting recurves in 88 when I bought a Bear T/D hunter in 55#. I hunted with that bow for a couple years until I picked up a 72# Brackenbury Drifter I bought from Jim shortly before he died.  I used the brack until the mid 90's when I went back to rifle hunting so I could take my wife and young children  along a little easier.    Starting in 99 I hunted with both compounds and firearms in Eastern OR for Mulies and Elk. Around 2002 I started shooting my recurves again but due to multiple medical issues I couldn't shoot them anymore.  I then got heavy into handgun hunting  in 07 when I was disabled from injuries and figured my bowhunting days were over. I wasn't ready to become a couch potatoe so I opened a gunsmithing shop specializing in hunting revolvers and single shot T/C's as well as custom big bore revolvers.  Last year I decided to take out the Brack and give it a shot, I was not optimistic after 11 orthopedic surgeries in 7 years including 3 wrist, 3 neck, 1 shoulder and 4 lower back leaving me with 5 levels fused.  To my surprise I was drawing and shooting better than ever before starting from the first shot even after not picking up a bow since 05.  I recently picked up a Wes Wallace Stealth with 66# and 74# limbs and I've been shooting both bows well.  I'm hoping to hunt deer and possibly elk this year with the Brack and Wallace bows.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 04:22:00 AM »
Welcome to tradgang!  Good to hear you are enjoying traditional archery again.  I'll be looking forward to your posts.
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 06:30:00 AM »
So glad that you found this campfire, I hope to read about your hunts this fall. You sound like a man of "True Grit"!   :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »
Hi there-Hap

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
Welcome    :campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
Welcome!!!

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
Welcome.  :campfire:
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline wapitirod

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to shaking the rust off my traditional skills and catching up on what I've missed the past few years.  I've been reading alot of the post and there seem to be alot of good guys and good info.
89' Brackenbury Drifter 72# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 66# @28
Wes Wallace Stealth 72# @27

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.- John Wayne

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
Sounds like quite a journey.  Welcome back to traditional and welcome to the site.  A lot of good people and information here.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
Welcome to the gang from Maine.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »