3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: who uses 2 different bevel angles on their double bevels heads?  (Read 138 times)

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
i was sharpening some heads last night and i got to thinking, how many other guys sharpen like me and have 2 bevel angles on a double bevel head.

from the factory i get a file and take the shoulder right back to an angle that is more acute than the angle formed by the edge and the ferrule. so i'll get that acute angle then for the final edge i get my jewel stick and sharpen on the angle created by laying the edge and the ferrule on the stick at the same time, this angle being greater than the previous angle. then strop of course. very sharp!
i love this method because resharpening is so quick. you don't have to remove much material to restablish a pristine edge. maybe this is why i'm not a single bevel or a 3 blade fan. put a tiny nick in them and you have to remove material from the entire bevel till you get back to the edge. this can be quite a lot if you've hit dirt.

anyone esle do what i do?
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: who uses 2 different bevel angles on their double bevels heads?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 06:46:00 AM »
Not on purpose!   :biglaugh:
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
I do it, been doing a double bevel for a long time.  I usually do a very small bevel on the back of the blade too mostly to square everything up nicely.  You're right a double bevel is a lot easier to resharpen.

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
Clint,

To keep from confusing folks, you're describing a "duplex" bevel grind and it is a great way to sharpen any kind of blade that needs to hold its edge for as long as possible. You're also right about the much quicker touch up too because like you said, only the very edge has to be worked rather than the whole width of the bevels. Great tip!  :thumbsup:

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©