3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ever feel guilty?  (Read 855 times)

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
ever feel guilty?
« on: July 19, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
I have been looking at all these nice new slim quivers along with the Tred Barta one at 3Rivers and they all are around $100+. You know they look absolutely beautiful and I am sure they work just super, but I have went around and around with myself about buying one and I simply couldn't do it. I just feel like sometimes I have taken way more money from my family that we could have used to do things together rather than my hobby. So, I just got myself(and my brother one)the old Kwikee Clamp on quiver. Its just going to have to do.

any of you guys ever feel like this?

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ever feel guilty?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 11:00:00 AM »
yes, I do feel like that often,  Especially since my wife wont spend money on herself.  Says that she doesnt want or need anything but I dont always believe her

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »
Same way here, and like Caleb my wife spends very little on herself. That's why I ask for money at Christmas and birthdays and don't use our "common" money.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »
Yup, and what I'm about to say is true.
Many years ago after really thinking about this, I bought a side of leather and taught myself to make my own quiver, tab, armguard,etc.. Then built 5 more quivers and sold them. The first were far from perfect but I sold them auction style so people bid what they wanted and all sold. It paid for my quiver and I had EXTRA left over. For the family!

Now I do that with everything. I need a bow, I'll buy a few fixer uppers, refinish them and put them for sale. Put the money made aside a bit at a time until I have enough. There is usually more than I needed when done and it goes either to buying more fixer uppers or into the vacation/family fun fund.
David M. Conroy

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 11:39:00 AM »
This is a subject that hits home for me too.

I look at my bow rack with 6 or 7 nice (expensive) traditional bows, and I think how much I could put in my daughter's college fund if I sold off a bunch of them.

Some times it't hard to justify spending money on a hobby, but we'd all go crazy if we didn't have some form of recreation.

Bottom line, yes I do feel guilty for spending money on traditional bows and supplies.

My only hope is that my silly hobby won't be too much of a burden on my family's financial future.

I always think I could sell off a bunch of bows if I had too....then I would cry.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
Nope, never once felt guilt for buying something I could aford.  If I cannot afford it, I don't buy it.  Ony the person doing the buying knows the answer.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 12:02:00 PM »
My hobbies usually come from what-ever's left, so I don't tend to feel guilty about it.  Moreover, the TIME that I put into archery and bowhunting does not detract from work or family responsibilities and opportunities. Frankly, compared to the cost of golf, or a lot of fishing, or following a pro-sports team (i.e. attending games), I suspect most of us are pretty moderate in terms of using family resources, especially if we shoot/hunt with other family members.
Jim

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Vines:
Nope, never once felt guilt for buying something I could aford.  If I cannot afford it, I don't buy it.  Ony the person doing the buying knows the answer.
Yep. I have passed over many good deals over the past years due to finances. Just got a raise 2 weeks ago and the wife is back to work so I treated myself to a Jack Howard gamemaster jet I got cheap.

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
Thats a pretty good way to look at things Mike, also a good benchmark for any purchaser.

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
No guilt here.  I don't spend money I can't afford to spend and when I do my wife encourages my fishing and bowhunting hobbies.  She would rather see it spent on that than bourbon. At the end of the day she enjoys the fresh fish and venison which also reduces our grocery bill.  Can't say that about golf.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by tuscarawasbowman:

Yep. I have passed over many good deals over the past years due to finances. Just got a raise 2 weeks ago and the wife is back to work so I treated myself to a Jack Howard gamemaster I got cheap. [/b]
Wanna sell it?  :bigsmyl:
David M. Conroy

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »
My Wife handles the bills so I get an allowance..lol.Hard to feel guilty buying something with that.RC

Offline tuscarawasbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by YORNOC:

Originally posted by tuscarawasbowman:

Yep. I have passed over many good deals over the past years due to finances. Just got a raise 2 weeks ago and the wife is back to work so I treated myself to a Jack Howard gamemaster I got cheap. [/b]
Wanna sell it?   :bigsmyl:  [/b]
How many arms and legs are you willing to give?    :laughing:

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
I use too feel that way.  but as my wife pointed out, all the bill's are paid, the kids and I have all we need.  You deserve something to show for your hard work, and if it will last longtime, then it would be an investment right.  I still research alot of things before I buy, guess part of being a tradganger, but I also think there comes a time when things just make sense to spend money on something that will A) make this obession more comfortable (ie, good cold weather clothes), and b0 Stuff that will last a longtime.  you will eventually come to a point with quality material that you really don't need anything but arrows, new bow, broadheads, knife ....

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
I can afford it or I can't, but why not get a Big Jim's quiver for about half them other ones and then you have less you ned to squirrel away to get there.  Nothing better looking or more functional out there!

Yornoc your leather work is amazing!  Good stuff...
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2012, 02:09:00 PM »
I'm the same as RC I spend my allowance. Sandra pays all the bills and she buys stuff she wants out of our money.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
thing is, I can afford it, and my wife told me to buy what I wanted. Its me, nothing else. Its almost hypocritical feeling at times. I feel like I am one of these people watching these commercial hunting shows thinking I need the "best" of everything traditional. too add, I do have some fine equipment, exactly what I want, but I simply want to be more economical.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
No guilt at all but 95% of my bows are used as I don't like paying retail. Hunting is just part of my life and if I didn't hunt and enjoy the outdoors life would be alot less rewarding. Looking forward to teaching my son and will be buying him gear more often as he gets older.

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
one thing my wife demands of me this season is to get a top quality safety harness! This, I feel no guilt about buying, but a tricked out quiver that looks awesome or a $1000 custom bow, when I can get a good old solid $17 quiver and 3 used bows that I have that are awesome(Howatt Hunter, Bamboo Viper, and Nomad Stalker)thats what I would feel guilty about.

Offline longrifle346

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 02:33:00 PM »
My wife and I had this conversation before we got married. I promised her I'd never run the bars, chase women, and I'd go to Church on a pretty regular basis.....but I had another vice: hunting. That didn't mean I hunt every once in awhile, it meant that whenever there's something to hunt or get prepared to hunt I'm probably going to be doing that. I work hard and I do reward myself from time to time with small things but extravagences are rare and if I see a toy I just have to have I generally pay for it by selling another toy to cover it. My wife doesn't even roll her eyes anymore when long brown boxes come out of the big brown truck.....   :rolleyes:
If you find yourself in a fair fight? Your tactics suck!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©