3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ever feel guilty?  (Read 854 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ever feel guilty?
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
Generally, if i buy a bow, I've sold another to fund it. I try to buy used but recently bought a brand new bow. It was a big expense but the wife ok'd it. When i buy arrows or broadheads I liken it to my wife getting a mani/pedi. We both spend beneath our means so I dont worry about it too much.

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
If it works it does not have to cost a bundle or even look cool

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
My wife and children get lots of money spent for things they enjoy, and I have a couple of bows and lots of shafts, broadheads, feathers, hunting gear, blah blah blah.  I don't need a bunch of bows, and try to make or modify things to fit my needs if I want to save money.  Our household is pretty balanced.  We all know that sometimes we get what we want, sometimes we just don't... and that goes for all of us.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2012, 04:08:00 PM »
Great topic that extends to many areas of our lives.  Some do struggle with the bow and tackle addiction as people do gambling and chemical addictions.

The analogy that I came up with as a recovered fishing reel collector is this.  Those once in a lifetime opportunities are most often not a once in a lifetime opportunity.  So many things I thought I would never get the chance of hoarding  have all eventually made their way into my collections and at a time when the finances were right to do so...I now never want anything bad enough to juggle the needs of my family...

Thanks for posting this.

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chromebuck:
Great topic that extends to many areas of our lives.  Some do struggle with the bow and tackle addiction as people do gambling and chemical addictions.

The analogy that I came up with as a recovered fishing reel collector is this.  Those once in a lifetime opportunities are most often not a once in a lifetime opportunity.  So many things I thought I would never get the chance of hoarding  have all eventually made their way into my collections and at a time when the finances were right to do so...I now never want anything bad enough to juggle the needs of my family...

Thanks for posting this.

~CB
I think sometimes there is something to be said about having less. Wealth is not what you have, its what you have saved. Financially, I am fine, I have a great job and my wife is a teacher. We only have our mortgage and student loans, so no financial strain.

I just felt like I should be more thrifty. One of these days one of those fine slim jim or edge quivers will be on the classified forum and I'll get one then if the price suits me. I'll survive just fine with the old Kwikee quiver!

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jeff Roark:

Originally posted by Chromebuck:

Thanks for posting this.

~CB
I think sometimes there is something to be said about having less. Wealth is not what you have, its what you have saved. Financially, I am fine, I have a great job and my wife is a teacher. We only have our mortgage and student loans, so no financial strain.

I just felt like I should be more thrifty. One of these days one of those fine slim jim or edge quivers will be on the classified forum and I'll get one then if the price suits me. I did the same thing waiting for a longbow. I held out and held out and I was getting ready to buy a new Savannah when all of a sudden a fine nearly brand new Bamboo Viper appeared for $300. So, I'll survive just fine with the old Kwikee quiver in the mean time! [/b]

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
I don't feel guilty if I can afford it.  I work hard and hunting and a little fishing is pretty much my only vice. Having said that, my current quiver is a cheap compound bow quiver.

I use what most people use for a compound quiver attached to my daypack.  I copied the mounting bracket with a piece of aluminum and sandwiched the bag between the aluminum and the bracket making it very solid.  It also prevents the bag from fraying or tearing.

When I get to my stand, I unlock it from the bag and lock it to my stand or hang it in the tree (extra mounting brackets).

Best $40 i ever spent, camoed too!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2012, 08:06:00 PM »
I get that way sometimes...that's why whenever I spend money on myself for archery gear I always clear it with my wife first...and then try and make sure she gets something of equal value, if not then, then the next time we have spare cash.

So she's got a bunch of different hand drums, flutes and instruments...and I've got a bow, broadheads, basically everything I need. And unless I absolutely need it for what I do,  I don't buy it. A little guilt keeps me from accumulating too much stuff, and helps me remember this sport is about the shooter, and not the gear.

Offline Basil_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
I'm in the same boat. I feel guilty when buying stuff for myself.

Archery is a new hobby for me so I made a point to include my wife in it.

So far we have taken a few archery lessons together and I'm slowly getting the idea into her head of buying bows together.

Lol I love archery but I don't even have a bow! Lol soon tho I think she'll cave!

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
My wife and I do Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University.  Part of that is we have a monthly buget meeting where we spend every dollar on paper.  If all our obligations and goals are taken care of there is no guilt.  My wife just got a vitamix she has been waiting a year for.  I am getting a bow in september I have been waiting for for 3.5 years.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by RC:
My Wife handles the bills so I get an allowance..lol.Hard to feel guilty buying something with that.RC
Thats the way here also.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »
I really don't have but one hobby these days, so to speak. Buying a bow and accessories, every now and then, is pale when compared to some of the hobbies I've had in the past. Far less expensive than Harley Davidsons.

I've always hunted, so that expense does not figure into it.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
I bought 1 $100 quiver and that sucker will go on all bows.  Kinda thinking about selling it since, nice but I rarely shoot with a quiver on anymore and I dont need a $100 just to walk arrows to the tree and take it off.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
also when going over how much i spent on archery over the last few years it was pretty bad.  didnt realize how much i spent. might sell off a few bows
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2012, 12:23:00 AM »
The only guilt I ever feel with traditional archery equipment is that I can't shoot all my bows at one time.  :bigsmyl:  Seriously though if I can afford something I want I will buy it.
James Kerr

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2012, 12:34:00 AM »
Originally posted by RC:
My Wife handles the bills so I get an allowance..lol.Hard to feel guilty buying something with that.RC
Same here!

We are a family of five, so money is very, very tight. I usually trade for what I want/need for hunting or save up and buy used stuff, especially high ticket items.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by sawtoothscream:
I bought 1 $100 quiver and that sucker will go on all bows.  Kinda thinking about selling it since, nice but I rarely shoot with a quiver on anymore and I dont need a $100 just to walk arrows to the tree and take it off.
sort of what I feel about things. Doesn't change the fact that I would love to have one of these fine quivers, its just that I have become frugal I suppose?

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »
I have resisted buying a nice bow quiver for years. An old suede back quiver has been with me on about every hunt for a long long time. But I might break down soon. I really don't know if I'm gonna like a quiver on my bow. We will see what's at the IBO shoot tomorrow. The list never ends on things you COULD buy. I have grown very selective.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by JamesKerr:
The only guilt I ever feel with traditional archery equipment is that I can't shoot all my bows at one time.   :bigsmyl:   Seriously though if I can afford something I want I will buy it.
Right with that.  I make the money then pay bills, then whats left invest every month 401k, college accounts and rainy day safe $.  Whats left over is fair game no guilt!
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
Ok money is one thing but what about time? Do you ever feel guilty?

My wife and I both work a lot lately to pay for the new house, weekends there is always something to do (and I don't mean fun things to do, fix this,go buy that,etc)so we don't spend a lot of time for ourselves as a couple, I do feel guilty when I say I want to spend the whole weekend hunting or use the few vacations days I have a year. She doesn't like hunting not even outdoors, so she can't come with me, she understand my hoby and doesn't make a big deal about it but still I do feel guilty sometimes.

on the money subject we are ok as I always rty to sell an old toy to afford a new one, last year I even sold one of my bows to pay for the wedding
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©