3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Big Jims "Bush-n a Bag" ghillie type suit.  (Read 181 times)

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Big Jims "Bush-n a Bag" ghillie type suit.
« on: July 19, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
been wondering about getting some sort of ghillie, leafy suit for warm weather. thing is I don't want it noisy because whats the point if you have somethign 15' from you and when you move it sounds like sand paper rubbing together...

does anyone here have a Big Jim bush suit or have they seen one in person,, is it loud or scrathy/nylon sounding?  is there a favorite suit out there thats recommended?  

thanks T
"Us vs Them"

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Big Jims "Bush-n a Bag" ghillie type suit.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »
I've got a Bushinabag.  It's basically a poncho and works as advertised when you are sitting but it's just too big to walk in.  I had a hen turkey at 3 steps this spring and she never knew I was there.  The other thing is that you really need to be careful when shooting with it so your string doesn't snag on the material.  Using extra arm guards, chest protector, etc. might be warranted.  I did not find it noisy at all.  YMMV.

I just recently bought a Marc Anthony Ghillie suit and think that this is the suit I have been wanting.  Haven't been able to use it yet or even shoot with it on - it's been too hot to even 'think' about putting on a ghillie.  Designed by a bow hunter so the bow hand sleeve is smooth as well as the chest area on that side.  A web search for the name will get you to the site.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
I have one, too, and have had a gray fox sit down by my feet, less than a foot away. It really does hide you well. The only problem I have with it is that I can't figure out a way to shoot my 70" bows with it on. I've tried all sorts of ways to keep my string from catching on it, to no avail. I still do take it with me, though. It's a great addition to a natural blind and fills in any gaps, nicely. Of course a piece of burlap does the same thing.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 06:08:00 PM »
I have one and love it. Definitely not hot in the high humidity we have hear. You can wear shorts and a dark t-shirt and it hides you well. A well placed arm guard keeps the string from getting caught on it when shooting. I shoot a 66" longbow with no problems.
If you get one go to Wal-Mart and get a net bag used for washing delicate items and put the suit in this bag and wash it 2 or 3 times before using.   :readit:   This will break-in the leafy material and get it quiet and softer than when new. Makes a big difference from wearing out of the package. Watch the video on Jim's web site I do the same thing he does in the video if I want to change spots. Have no problems moving when I do as he shows.
I had 2 and gave one away, now plan to get another before Turkey opens again in spring. Works great at keeping my grandson concealed when he starts getting restless.    :thumbsup:

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
I love mine! As said above wash it a few times to quiet it down. Makes a great throw up blind in a pinch too.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 07:23:00 AM »
sounds good,, and the thing with this suit I was really interested in is early season and I don't have to really get into and out of a suit type thing but something convienent where you can just slap it on in seconds and off you go with out it being too hot..

I bet I could have my wife sew in a dark fabric elastic that goes around the torso part so when its on it pulls snug around your chest and under your arm pits,,, then just cut off all the leafs from the inside of the arm and over the left chest area but it an idea.

thanks for all the feedback!  T
"Us vs Them"

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 09:39:00 PM »
Guys, the new BNA bag is absolutely soft and quiet. I used two of mine to make a make shift ground blind in Canada back in June. Tied them between two trees on one side and then again in front. Made it a little easier to sit for a really long time as I could move behind the screen a little more than I could if I was just wearing it.
Had a nice bear show up at 15 yards, but was not quite big enough to shoot.

I have found that if I cut off the sleave for the bow arm, that I have much less prep in order to shoot cleanly. Using two armguards on that sleave covered almost all the leaves and camo anyway. I also wear binoculars with the crooked horn straps and that holds the suit tight to the chest for string clearance.
When you need to move from place to place, you can remove it in seconds and put it back on when you get set again or just roll it up and tuck it up under itself. Bino strap helps hold the suit tucked up too.
thanks, and good luck.
bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 10:16:00 PM »
Jim, you cut the sleeve completely off?

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »
I got to get one of these. I love springtime turkey hunting but sometimes hiding without a blind is hard to do. Most blinds are to heavy to chase toms. I bet this suit would work great.
Thanks Jim. I will be placing an order soon.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 07:55:00 AM »
Yep VanGor, I cut the sleave off at the shoulder seam (I leave the seam and about 1/2" intact).

I noticed one day when I was putting on the second armguard that I couldn't see the sleave much any way and this certainly reduced set up time.

I want to clarify a couple of things. First, I cant my bow very heavily even when standing upright and this creates a clearance issue between my arm and side. Secondly, what is working for me might not for you.
I have found this set up to work well especially when standing or sitting on a chair or something higher.
I have been buying different seats all year trying to find the most comfortable and practical and I believe I have settled on a leaner. I hope to have it on my site soon, but until then, if you are interested, send me a P.M.
thanks,bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline dabprice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
The back side of the Bushinabag has a row of grommets presumably for hanging the Bushinabag from trees or sticks as a blind.

I put about 12" of paracord through the grommets on the far left and far right.  After I put the  thing on like a poncho, I pull the cords under my arms and tie them in the front. This gathers the material in and prevents it from "blousing" too much. If you want to move, you can simply gather up your "skirt" in the front, tuck it into the tied cords and go.  If the "skirt" is too long (and it is generously long in front) you can hem it up to shorten it.

A great and clever product, and Big Jim's video of its use is not to be missed. (The folding chair is not included in the price.)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©