3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ft Sill  (Read 182 times)

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Ft Sill
« on: July 19, 2012, 04:43:00 PM »
Anyone hunted on Ft. Sill before? I've noticed many people prior service and thought somebody may have been there before and had any advice.

Gonna put in for both the white tail and elk hunts this year. I've been around Sill for nearly 12 years and just now gonna start hunting there.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline hnt2mch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ft Sill
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
i have but it was many many years ago like in the mid 70's lol
don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns....

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
Been a minute or two, LOL.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 07:22:00 PM »
I didn't hunt on Sill because I hate dealing with the army red tape, and I always feel like I'm looking over my shoulder on post, so I don't do anything for recreation on post.  However, there is some good hunting at Sandy Sanders and a couple of the lake WMAs around the area.  I think Tom Sneed and Wakarusa come to mind.  I'm going off the top of my head from memeory here, so the names be off but that is sounding right in my head.  Sandy Sanders in particular is some really neat country and is worth seeing even if you don't get to hunt much.
Silence is golden.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
Fort Sill was my first duty station in 1981. I shot buckets of quail, but never hunted big game. Interesting thread....
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 08:11:00 PM »
I graduated from OCS in August 1966 at Ft. Sill and was assigned to the 2/44th Pershing and spent the next two years bowhunting Ft. Sill.  There were plenty big whitetail and one could take an elk in lieu of whitetail.  The elk escaped from the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge as well as some buffalo.  I know from first hand there were buffalo on the Post as we got mixed up in a herd bedded down one night setting an ambush during an exercise.  We had to abort the exercise.   :)

During the time I was there, we ran exercises in area that were off limits to hunting and the number of big, old bucks we ran into in those areas was eye opening.  The rut would bring them out into area one could hunt.  

My only regret is that I didn't know squat about killing a critter with a bow during those two years.   :)

A little red tape is a small cost for a chance at some quality whitetail and maybe an elk.

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 08:14:00 PM »
Cassius Styles was stationed there and hunt small game with the local Kiowas.  It was during this period that he became acquainted with Saxton Pope.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
Marines go to arty school there.  I did not hunt the first time, but the second time i did gun hunt.  I did not find thebrules burdensome, but that was 35 plus years ago
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 12:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by sweeney3:
I didn't hunt on Sill because I hate dealing with the army red tape, and I always feel like I'm looking over my shoulder on post, so I don't do anything for recreation on post.  However, there is some good hunting at Sandy Sanders and a couple of the lake WMAs around the area.  I think Tom Sneed and Wakarusa come to mind.  I'm going off the top of my head from memeory here, so the names be off but that is sounding right in my head.  Sandy Sanders in particular is some really neat country and is worth seeing even if you don't get to hunt much.
I used to be stationed at Altus and had a few friends that hunted Ft Sill. Always heard stories of the giant bucks seen in the area.

I've always wanted to hunt Sandy Sanders. Is it more of a spot and stalk or ground blind area, or can you find enough suitable trees for stands? I may be heading that way around Thanksgiving. Probably head to one of the archery only areas since it'll be gun season everywhere. Thinking Waurika, but considering Sandy Sanders.
Acadian Woods TD Recurve 58 @ 28
Acadian Woods Recurve 55 @ 28
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 60 @ 27
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 47 @ 28
Martin Hunter Recurve 50 @ 28

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 04:51:00 AM »
For anyone that cares and can do so, the elk hunt dates are Sept. 29-30 and Oct. 1-5. Also during the elk gun season archery is legal. Dates for that are Nov. 10. 11, 17, & 18 then Dec 8-9.

FYI: Any bow, 55lbs or more, and only open to current active duty, Reserve or NG or retirees. Also open to military civilian employees. It is a draw hunt but not thru the state. If interested look up the regs on the Ft. Sill home page, they can be hard to locate just keep trying.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©