3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: grizzly heads giving me FITS  (Read 208 times)

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
grizzly heads giving me FITS
« on: July 19, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
I've got a dozen each of the 190 el grande and 200 grain Kodiak (which I will forever call el grande).  Giving me fits trying to sharpen them.

any suggestions? Open to all ideas.  thanks.

justin
Hill

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: grizzly heads giving me FITS
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
Hey Justin the new heads are a cinch!

Lay the beveled side down flat on a file and pull it to you in one easy motion. Do this until you have a bur the entire length on the blade. Next, lay the bur side on a piece of cardboard with the ferrel touching the cardboard. Strop it a few times like that to push the bur to the other direction. Now flip the heAd over and lay the bevele flat on the cardboard and put a few strops in that direction.  You should see the bevel "peeling" off while you strop on the cardboard.

This is how I do it and the edge mows hair off my leg.

The old ones take a little more work but can be done the same way....

With the new heads I really believe less is more.  Send me a PM if you need more help.... I didn't got too in-depth.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
My KME works great on the new ones!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
on the 200gr heads I could not get them good with KME Broadhead.  I have a Lansky and called Ron at KME...and he walked me through the proper sharpening sequence.  Made a world of difference from just trying to read the directions or watch someone else.

also, contrary to popular opinion...you still sharpen the NON BEVEL side...that is how you remove the burr a little at a time.

Give him a call at his shop...it was well worth it for me.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 10:22:00 PM »
hmmm. Very interesting stuff!
Hill

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 12:10:00 AM »
i would call sharpster, I just got a pack of the grizzly 160 in the mail from ron and bill thanks to the st.jude auction and they are scary sharp im afraid to almost touch them. he helped me out at ETAR last year on my magnus stingers
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 12:12:00 AM »
The new ones are great, easy to sharpen.  Take the time and find out how before wasting time and effort.  I just hit the new ones on a smith diamond stone and bam, shaving sharp. They did a nice job so far with the grind.

I then shot it repeatedly about 50 x's into a rhinehart target and I swear you could still hunt with it.  Those things really hold an edge.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 12:14:00 AM »
I use a file to true up any little spots along the bevel first(with the new ones this is almost not necessary). Then once I have a sharp smooth edge established I use a 600 than 1200 grit diamond stone and end up with a broadhead that will cut you if you look at it too hard.
James Kerr

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 12:18:00 AM »
One thing I noticed, take an eye down the blades, they sometimes have a slight curve to them, so if you lay it flat and dont address this, you will miss spots and the whole edge will not shave...so just be patient and make sure you work the whole edge. They did a nice job with them, but if they make them perfect, you are talking 100$/3 pricing as we've seen with others....these are a huge upgrade and less initial work.

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by babs:
i would call sharpster, I just got a pack of the grizzly 160 in the mail from ron and bill thanks to the st.jude auction and they are scary sharp im afraid to almost touch them. he helped me out at ETAR last year on my magnus stingers
Babs, thanks very much for your contribution to the St. Judes auction!!!  :readit:  

Justin did call me yesterday afternoon BTW. Hopefully I was able to shed a little light on the "how and why" of single bevel sharpening for him. Thanks!

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
I bought a file and cut it down to fit my KME knife sharpener for the intial filing.  It worked on the metal a lot better than the regular course stone.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©