3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Neck compression from shooting?  (Read 242 times)

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
Neck compression from shooting?
« on: July 19, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
So I started having pretty intense pain in my right neck and down into my right shoulder.  I went into the chiropractor and the x rays showed neck compression in my neck with some rotation of my vertebrae to the right in my neck.  He also noted inflimation and tightness in my right rhomboid muscle (which is when I realized what it might be related to.  I was actually proud of this).  It so happens that I've had a broken fibula the past 8 weeks so I've been doing nothing else and no injuries.  He doesn't think I should stop shooting but to take it easier for a bit and work out my left side unilaterally to offset the right side strain imbalance.  I feel pretty good about my form and I shoot a weight I'm comfortable with (55 at my draw).  So anyone else have this issue and find solutions?
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Neck compression from shooting?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
One thing I've done in the past is to draw my bow with the opposite hand, left for me, 10 or so reps at the end of each practice session. It seemed to help.
Kevin

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
Darn...now you might have to just break down and get a Left handed bow!!!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
Yep...ice pack after shooting helps too.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »
Be careful with what you are dealing with.  Now is the time to start educating yourself on your vertebra issues, discs, and the muscles around them.  Figure out any preventative measures, such as stretching, and build it into your daily routine.  I just had cervical fusion in my neck.  Once you are injured it won't take much to cross the threshold to where surgery is your only option.  I wish I had not been so naive.  I had similar pains.  Chiropractor worked initially and I was 100% for a few years, problem solved I thought.  Then one day the pain came back.  This time within a few days it migrated to my right hand (left handed) and I lost 90% use of my hand due to nerve damage.  Went to the chiropractor and he got rid of the shoulder pain but the hand never got better.  After MRI's, myleograms, etc. they found the nerve that controlled my right hand was compressed at my spine.  Surgery fixed the compression but I waited too long.  My hand is weak and curled up.  Can't straighten my fingers.  All this started with a pain like yours.  Not to say you will end up like me.  Just listen to your body.  If the pain migrates into your arms or hands go to a doctor quick (and you better have good health insurance).

Now that I have been a downer here is the good news.  My right hand, though pretty much useless and deformed, strangely works well holding the HH style longbow grip.  So I can still shoot a bow.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 12:20:00 AM »
I would stop shooting for a few weeks and let your muscles and nerves heal. If you shoot again and have the pain I would stop immediately and consult a doctor.
James Kerr

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 12:51:00 AM »
I've been going to a chiropractor for several weeks now, due to a bulging disc.  I had quit pulling with my opposite hand (for balance) because I thought that was where the pain was coming from.  Then they MRI'd me and found the bulge... AND a bone spur right where the bulge is.  Recently I started pulling with my off hand again and the pain has really subsided.  So, balance is definitely a good thing.  But I'm taking it a bit easier from here on out.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
I appreciate the feedback.  I might try the lefty thing in addition to rehab
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
Good luck Z.  I havent had neck issues but the left elbow (bow arm) has hurt consistently for 2 years and 4 different sports docs and rehab no answers so I know your frustration!  
Take care and best of luck
Andrew
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »
Glad you caught it before got worst.  I will warm up before doing a practice session, either just a few shoulder shrugs and rotations or push up's.  don't take alot but like getting the blood flowing.  After done I will grab the bow in oppostie hand and pull about 10 times.  I use to have a left handed bow that I would shoot off and on, but loaned it to a newbie.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
I can relate to your problem, ive got degenerated discs in my neck , which at times pinches nerves, and causes severe migrains , and severe pain in my neck. My cure is surgery going in from the front to get to the back, Im putting that off as long as possible. So for now chiropractors, ice packs, Tylenol and shooting short sessions is the answer. Frustration, YES! Defeat, NO WAY!
I now know when its time to stop, put the bow down and do other things, then come back to it at a later time or a later day.
Good luck and take care.
Paul

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
Yep.  They cut my throat to get to my spine.  The back and neck felt pretty decent after surgery considering they removed my disc and screwed a titanium plate on my spine.  It was my throat that was the worst part.  Couldn't hardly talk for 3 weeks.  Also my X-rays looked fine.  But because my hand stopped working they knew something was surely wrong.  So I had to get an MRI.  The MRI showed some issues but not enough to cause my severe nerve problems.  So then I had to have a Myeogram (sp?) where they inject die in you spine.  Then they found a bone spur, combined with disc problems.

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
i tore my right arm off at the elbow 32 years ago.

started having back/neck issues a year or so later.

figured out that i had to find ways to exercise muscles that were under-used, because part of their function is opposition/stabilization.

works.

now that i'm back shooting the bow, the details have changed, but once you get the principles, that ain't nothin' but a thang.

if you need professional help, don't bother with drs.  physical therapists know way more about this kind of issue.

best, and happy to help if i can.

joe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©