3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Give me some ideas and recommendations?  (Read 129 times)

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
Give me some ideas and recommendations?
« on: July 20, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
For 5 or 6 years now Ive been saving for the purchase of my own acreage up north.  With they way MI does property taxes coupled with lack of time to drive 2:30 hours with kids schedules to actually use it frequently it would not make sense and decided no longer to pursue.  

Instead with what property taxes alone would be per year is to take a hunting trip every other year outside of my home hunting state.

Interested in Elk, Hogs, Bear, Mule deer, Antelope, Turkey, open to other suggestions.  Would prefer traditional bow hunting experience and like to stalk or stand, fair chase only and no dogs.

Would like to start with a 4 or 5 day excursion maybe Hogs to break in hunting away from home.

Looking for recommendations on hunts, guides or outfitters(to start) later love to do a DIY.  Also any places more kid friendly I would like my son 10 yo come with me too and my daughter when she gets bigger.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom from experience.
Andrew
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Give me some ideas and recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »
up maybe someone in the afternoon has gone on a hunt somewhere and would like to share

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
Are you all done with your hunting lease too Andrew?
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 02:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Vines:
Are you all done with your hunting lease too Andrew?
Mike, I am still in that lease club.  Thought something different than our flat farmlands and woodlots (which I love) would be a nice change.  Not looking for trophies more experiences in different seasons than we have here.

Did you like that pig hunt last year?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
I did a DIY Elk hunt last year. Your closer than I am to Colorado to start with so that's good. Camped on public land for a week and had a great time. I only saw some deer, but my friend and partner saw an Elk [cow and a calf] and a bear. Hunting at 10,000 feet was really neat and I would go again in a heartbeat! My cost for the whole trip was $900.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
If your not really worry about a trophy why not just take the kids and go camping on PL or NF. I KNOW I DO IT WITH MY SONS. I gartee you it's some thing they'll never forget and it just might point them in the right direction.
 All your hunts do'nt have to be like this but once a year if not for you do it for your kids.They love it mine do. I try to camp next to a river or creek, lake fishing or just wandering along it.This always helps to keep the enterest going.
 I hunted lots of PL and NF, THEY DO'NT HAVE TO BE A KILL ANYTHING HUNT. IF YOU DO YOUR HOME WORK AND NOT HAVE SOMEONE DO IT FOR YOU. I've arrowed a few mature bucks off PL and NF LAND. I've hunted them, there, a good deal when I did'nt have to.
   It's a lot harder hunt so do'nt get me wrong letting someone else do the work for you has it's merits. I've went that route a lot also.But prefer doing my own work.EXSPECIALLY TO TEACH MY KIDS THERES WAYS OTHER THAN OUTFITTERS.
  The getting ready all the fun I think.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©