3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cock feather in? Pics  (Read 181 times)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Cock feather in? Pics
« on: July 20, 2012, 06:28:00 PM »
After seeing the thread below and many times this question has been asked...between rain drops, took a few pics to demonstrate a simple point.

Right hand bow, cock feather in...notice the odd hen feather in the "up" positon.

Right hand bow, LW feathers, cock feather out in the normal position...odd hen in the "up" position.

Right hand bow, RW feathers, cock feather out, notice odd hen feather on bottom.

Personally, I shoot LW and off my left hand Fedora, I shoot RW. Making sure the odd hen is in the up position seems to give me better clearance.

The arrows I made up a few years ago using RW, I turn cock feather in.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cock feather in? Pics
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
I was told by a pretty good source that odd feather in on carbon arrows only, wood and aluminum odd feather out, seems to work pretty good. personally I like to do odd feather into the corner where the riser and the shelf meet, seems to give the feather a little more room to clear, but whatever works by all means use it.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Mine look like your first pic

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
The reason I posted this because this question seems to come up quite a bit about cock feather in and why.

All I wanted to show is when you turn the cock feather in on RW feathers, its the same as using LW feathers and nock the arrow "normally". So why not use LW feathers?

I even fletched up some arrows for a guy using the TM receiver, which automatically places the feather in the up position...like a wheelie guy shooting through a TM style rest.

Don't care how you nock your arrows or what you shoot...just seems quite repetitive seeing the same questions appear so often.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics Joe, seeing the pics really clarifies things.

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »
Joe you see people asking the same questions because they don't take the time to do a search on the subject.
It's still going to happen.

My arrows fly the same, cock feather in or out. I do shoot off a rest on my recurve.
Schafer Silvertip

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©