3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: practice  (Read 135 times)

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
practice
« on: July 21, 2012, 10:49:00 AM »
so how do you guys practice for treestand hunting, do you shoot broadheads right off the batt or start with fieldpoints and then switch to broadheads as season nears?
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: practice
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
I shoot broadheads enough to know they are landing the same as fieldpoints. But then I normally shoot fieldpoints and blunts.

I do 2 kinds of treestand shooting...one method is that I throw out a dozen or so tennis balls and practice on them at various ranges.

But the most important type of practice (IMHO) is to shoot at a McKenie style deer target so that you can get a good eye for the angles.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
I have a ladder I set up against a tree.  I shoot every morning.  I have a deer target at about 25 yds, and plenty of leaves or pine cones I can shoot at a variety of other ranges.  One of my arrows has a broadhead on it. I shoot it whenever it comes out of the back quiver.  Sometimes I will then shoot a field tip at the same spot.  If your arrows are tuned well they always hit in the same place.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
What Roger said.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
I shoot my broadheads periodically just to confirm they are still hitting with my field points. Then again, in order for them to impact differently something would have to change in my tuning, and I wouldn’t have to shoot broadheads to know if that happened. With respect to shooting out of a treestand, I guess I’ve never had a problem with it. Our local club has a few elevated platforms, and I’ll sometimes shoot arrows from them as I work through the course. But aside from that, I don’t do anything specific to practice shooting from a treestand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©