3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why the constant bow buying?  (Read 644 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Why the constant bow buying?
« on: July 21, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
What is it about Longbows and Recurves that make you want to shoot everyone that you have ever seen or heard about?  I have a Hill style bow, that I absolutly love, but I do need to shoot it frequently. I also have my NM Huron, which is my favorite bow that I own. It will never part my stable, the grip, weight in hand, manuverability and accuracy with this bow is uncanny. Now it is only 51lb which is why i probably shoot it better. But I find myself not shooting it as much as the UJ, and maybe thats because I know when i pick it up Im on with it.
    But thats off topic, Here I am with 2 amazing bows, both set up with tuned arrows ready to go, and both I am super confident with. But yet I still PM people about bows, im looking on classifieds, shooting others bows at meets and so forth.  I would like to own a Bear TD one day and why I dont know because I like straight grips!!!!!! I dont shoot high wrist or medium wrist worth a darn and yet Im looking at picking up Recurve.  I often wonder what it is that makes shooting different bows and different styles so appealing.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why the constant bow buying?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 01:51:00 PM »
I have 5 bows set up, tuned up, all shoot the same and all can be traded by the shot and shot equally as accurate.  I love them, but I would not hesitate to add another Maddog or Kodiak Hunter to my collection.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »
Be very glad you're not into high end 1911's.  It gets real expensive, real quick.
Otto

Offline camodadd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
got my first real hunting weight bow 25 years ago for Christmas, it is still the only bow I own,its a Martin Mamba. Lately have been shopping and considering a longbow tho. Between guns, knives, bows and everything else, money goes real fast anymore.   Scott

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
"Why not?,you only go around once." That's the answer I got from my friend when I asked him about all the guns he collects.He's got over 150 long guns and about half as many handguns. He said as long as he can pay the bills and his wife is happy,why not get more,it's what he loves to do.He's got a soft spot for model 12's,21's and colt single action revolvers,which is good for me.Whenever my wife questions me about dropping 5 or 6 hundred on a bow,I just let her know what his latest "toy" cost!!!

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »
Ever go into a Baskin Robbins and see a flavor that you haven't tried, that has your favorite stuff in it?

Killdeer   :bigsmyl:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
Right on Killdeer!
   :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
Only allowed one wife(at a time,cheaper to keep her) no such   :bigsmyl:  limit on BOWS  :archer2:
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 03:32:00 PM »
Once heard, "variety is the spice of life".
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline tbird-51

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 03:48:00 PM »
keep lookin for the MOJO, even though you really already have it.

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
You know what they say: "So many bows, so little time".........

Offline trad_in_cali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
They all feel and behave a little differently. Each has its own personality, and your interaction with each changes over time.
Answer me this: why have different friends, if you already have one good one?
Marco

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
Do you golf.....me neither, but I hear they use more than one club...   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
I enjoy trying a variety of bows. I read about them or hear about them and so give them a try. I buy mostly used. After I try one used (Left or Right, weight range 35-65 pounds) if I like it try to find one in my prefered weight of 55-60 pounds(have bought only a few new). I have 8 keepers and if a new one knocks out a keeper it goes on the market. I currently have 17 righties and 13 lefties that I use to trade or sell to by different toys. I am getting to the end of my journey on trying other bows as I am up over 150 different bows that I have tried. But like stated, the appeal is still there. The economy is either too bad still or other folks do not share my enthusiasm because I have done more buying than selling these days. Classifieds are not as fun as they used to be a few years back. Trading is more fun however. I have traded bows for knives,guns, other bows and lots of other outdoor gear. Never know when a new/different bow will turn out to be a Keeper!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline jmrsyrs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
It's an addiction I suppose but there are many worse. As long as I'm not breaking the bank I'll continue to try as many bows as possible.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
Ok good. Then I am on the same page. Because really at hunting ranges, any bow in a comfortable weight range with a little attention I can get to shooting well, But I do believe its just about trying them out. Something new to hold and say you have. With that said, Im about to buy another bow.
My therapist says not to hang out here anymore. LOL LOL

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
:biglaugh:     :archer2:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
I must not have the addiction yet. I only own about 5 bows and am content with what I have.
James Kerr

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
Wood,
You wouldn't know anything about a bow being bought would you!!

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 09:49:00 PM »
Brian, I had a bad case of bow buying for quite a while there, now I'm in recovery (after this next one, anyway). Yeah, right...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©