3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wood vs aluminum vs carbon  (Read 638 times)

Offline windrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
wood vs aluminum vs carbon
« on: July 21, 2012, 08:12:00 PM »
i am getting close to needing a new set of arrows. i have shot both wood and aluminun. i really like the way the wood leaves the bow. But, they seem more fragile then the aluminum. would i be doing the trad sport a dis-service by using carbon. i shoot a Bob Lee 62" 55#@28". will the carbon hold up?

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: wood vs aluminum vs carbon
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
NO CARBON! Just kiddin' ya, a lot of guys shoot 'em and love 'em. I like wood myself, it's a personal thing. To answer the question, yes, carbon will hold up just fine.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
Carbon, wood or aluminum ..... Shoot what you like. All 3 will
Shoot good when tuned right.   Have fun
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
Make the switch to carbon, and be glad you did. I have had good luck with carbon express heritage ,and goldtip traditional arrows. Still look similar to wood with all the benifits of carbon. Good luck with whatever you do. Chad
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
I shoot all 3, and I like all 3. It's whatever you want, aluminum is stronger than wood and carbons are are tougher than all. I shoot carbon out of my recurve  but there is something about shooting wood out of my longbow!
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Mongo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by mountain lion:
I shoot all 3, and I like all 3. It's whatever you want, aluminum is stronger than wood and carbons are are tougher than all. I shoot carbon out of my recurve  but there is something about shooting wood out of my longbow!
My sentiments exactly!
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
I have only shot wood out of my longbow until this past week.  I picked up some xx75 shafts and built some arrows.  Man they shoot great.  I may stay with aluminum for a while.  Plenty of shaft sizes to choose from, readily available, and cheap.  Carbons are great though.  I used them out of my compound for years.  At the end of the day as long as you have an arrow that shoots good then that is all you can ask for.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »
Woods look the best. Aluminum is the straightest. Carbons are the best all around, imo.

Wood is the easiest to break. Aluminum is the easiest to bend. Carbons are good to go unless cracked or broken, imo.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Online darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
For me once tuned the most consistant is aluminum, if I buy and cut and set up the same they fly the same.Carbon it seems is the toughest unless I lose one it'll stay with me longer than any other, harder to tear up than other two.But wood let me say surewood shafts for me are PERFECT!!!!They may break from time to time, a lot easier to straighten than aluminum, tune up just fine, fly good, feel good, a dozen shafts about as cheap as they come and although mine are just simple hunting shafts and not a work of art like a lot of em, THEY ARE A JOY TO MAKE!!! It's a personal choice and I CHOOSE WOOD!!!!But any of em will do!!
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
No mention of cane arras?  :saywhat:    :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
Shoot whatcha' like..........for me it is wood. They all will do the job.

Offline Medina1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
Got some carbon arrows last week and will never shoot anything else. Flat shooting and they don't bend! Low maintenance and very durable. Make the switch, you won't be disappointed!
Semper Fi
USMC 2013-present

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
I have all three. Alums are what I'm most comfortable with, but I love the look of wood arrows. Also the wiodies "feel" the best comming out of the bow. Sooooo quiet. With alums it seems the points are ALWAYS comming loose after every shot. ( a little string wax prevents this, I just forget to apply it to the threads)
Carbons are ok for me. I am not a fan of loading up the front end on my arrows, and I like 125-145 gr heads, and it just seems they are running a little light for my tastes.

I'll stick with wood AND alums I think.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
Nice thing about carbon, it's always straight or it's broke.
lll

Offline Glunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
I like them all but time has been pretty limited the last few years so carbons have been my choice.  Quick to put together and cheaper than others since they are tough.  I've been getting the itch to build some woodies again, I used to have a batch going pretty much all the time.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 12:33:00 AM »
I have all three and occasionally shoot all three. However, my arrow of choice is wood (Surewood shafts). I have one bow that just loves 2117 aluminums so I keep my eye open at the sporting good stores after season and usually pick up some real steals on aluminum shafts.

Offline Machino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 12:51:00 AM »
Wood.  If I'm gonna shoot traditional, aluminum and carbon just feels like a cop-out.  Carbon certainly is the best option for durability.

Online Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 07:31:00 AM »
Shoot more durable wood. They vary greatly in the durability dept. Hickory for example, is very tough. I haven't broken one in years.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 08:12:00 AM »
I shoot all 3. I shot aluminums or carbons from my Widows.Aluminum,carbon and wood from my R/D longbows.I really like wood out of my Hill style bows,just seems "right".I've been messing with carbons out of my Wesley special though and they fly like darts.They are very tough for stumping too.I kind of have a feeling that if Howard could have got his hands on some modern carbons he would have used them for sure.All that said,for me there's not much better than taking an animal with a homemade wood arrow out of a Hill style bow.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
I agree shoot what you like. I just happen to like Carbon for there durability.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©