3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wood vs aluminum vs carbon  (Read 639 times)

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wood vs aluminum vs carbon
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 09:55:00 AM »
I started out with wood then fiberglass, aluminum...tried some made from transite..too light and now shoot nothing but carbon.

Offline windrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
thanks guys. i have a hard time changing to something new. But with all the feed back i might just have to have all three in my quiver at once.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
Originally posted by windrunner:
thanks guys. i have a hard time changing to something new. But with all the feed back i might just have to have all three in my quiver at once.
That works for me!!!
I've got, xx75's,GrizzlyStiks,goldtips,cedar,spruce and Doug fir in mine. The yellow fletched arrows in the front are doug fir shafts homemade from a doweling jig that was in TB magazine "how to" article years ago.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 06:42:00 AM »
I've shot all three and find alums a little loud but pretty consistent, carbons very fast and flat, not too loud and group consistently. Wood is the quietest, prettiest but finikiest for me. That said when I get the right wood shaft, it's as reliablely consistent as any carbon... But wood breaks easily.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 07:10:00 AM »
I am currently infatuated with wooden arrows, but have used carbons and aluminum extensively. Of the 3 materials, I rank them this way:

Carbon - When I am not interested in messing with arrows. I want a perfect missile for my bow, with very little effort on my part. Very receptive to spine change by tweaking point weight. I can have one shaft cover a broad range of draw weights.

Aluminum - Pretty close to carbon, but less tuneable. For me, a neat compromise between carbon and wood...aside from staining and sealing, they can be customized pretty nicely.

Wood - When you have enough time to build them right, nothing beats wood for silence out of the bow and tradition. I am always EXTRA satisfied with game taken with a wood arrow I MADE. Other guys make some beautiful arrows for sale, and I have bought some, but I am only "in love" with the wooden arrows I make. That is not a slight at someone elses workmanship, just my own strange thought process.

You mileage may vary, and it should   ;)
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by mountain lion:
I shoot all 3, and I like all 3. It's whatever you want, aluminum is stronger than wood and carbons are are tougher than all. I shoot carbon out of my recurve  but there is something about shooting wood out of my longbow!
Ditto
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
Arrow spines are different with all bow setups. If you can get a wood arrow to fly the straightest from any particular bow shoot it. If it is aluminum or carbon shoot it. Shoot what your bow likes the best. To know though you must have all three materials.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
I tried carbons for the first time this year-just not my thing.  I'm back with wood.  I will shoot aluminum or fiberglass out of my recurves, but it's wood only with longbows/selfbows.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
I've shot all three for years and am really partial to aluminum, especially when it comes to long lasting durability. My aluminum's seem to stay together and in really good condition for years after they are built. With carbons I seem to loose feathers over time, and the woods seem to always get a little bent. But, I like them all. Go shoot what you like. And if you get a chance, that Saunders NPV glue is dandy stuff. Flexable, long lasting and adheres really good. Good luck  :)
"Just passing through"

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
I shoot 90% aluminum and 10% wood but all the points and nocks are all interchangable and have tons to tune with after 20+ years.........I've stayed away from carbon as I see no real life benifit to change and dont want to have to spend a ton on all the extras......points,knocks,inserts,special tools..........you can still find good deals on aluminum shafts if you look around too.......YMMV........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
Can't beat carbons, but shoot what you like.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
I resisted carbons for many years, but finally bit the bullet and started learning about them. (I still don't know from Uni Nocks!)
I started with Carbon Express, got some mismarked shafts, dropped down in spine and then found out that the brass inserts and nock adapters wouldn't fit the .600 spines. Tried Grizzly Stick Woodies.  Learned to foot them as they split very readily.

Went to Gold Tip Trads. Can't get enough! The inserts and adapters fit all the spines, so I can tweak point weight and use my glue-on nocks. I enjoy cresting them, and fool a lot of folks who think they are woods. I foot them, so they last forever, which makes it hard to justify buying more, just so I can crest them.

I shoot wood, aluminum, cane or carbon, out of any bow I want. Right now I am attempting to master the Hill bow with my bulletproof carbons. When I switch bows, I will shoot whatever works. I have some real Magic woodies, and my trusty 2013s. They are all good!

Killdeer

Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
What a neet feather style you have on that arrow Killdeer!

:thumbsup:    

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »
Thanks, Manny!
I like 'em.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
Killy ... sweet set up !

And I think you nailed it on the head ... I shoot all three and enjoy the ehck out of all the materials on hand ...
*woodies are just great .. i LOVE them ! I still shoot , buy and make them regularly
* trusty alloys ... my 2016's are perhaps my fave shaft .. so easy and quick to make and set up ...
* carbons ... tough and consistant ... whats not to like ? Ad Trad lites and footed GT'S are super tough shafts ! accurate too !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »
My opinion is that in the long run Doug Fir is tougher than carbon.
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2012, 03:07:00 AM »
I've got all three,just depends on which bow I'm shooting,love them all.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
I shoot carbons (easton st excel), always straight, moisture not an issue.  You can get any kind of carbon you want, thick, thin, heavy, light.  Never shot aluminum. Wood IS cool, but I didn't want to deal with the straightness and varying weight issues.  I'm not an arrow expert, good luck.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »
Killy.....thats nice work!
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
All three! I did get out a cane arrow I made years ago and let my son shoot it he couldn't believe it shot just as good as his gold tips. Carbons are sure easier in the budget due to durability.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©