3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arkansas tradgangers, Black Bear question....  (Read 225 times)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
Arkansas tradgangers, Black Bear question....
« on: July 22, 2012, 03:10:00 PM »
My hunt plans for this fall have been canceled. Still have a block of time available in early October and have been reading up on the Ozark National Forest and bear hunting opportunities. In 2006 I spent a weekend in early October near Russleville. Hot, dry and not enough time to sort things out. Still had a great time tho'!

If any of you have any experience with bear in the ONF and you have any stories or tips to share, it would be much appreciated. My research as pointed me toward Newton, Pope and Johnson counties. I have sent out emails to the Arkansas Fish and Game Dept. and am making calls to a few of the wildlife biologists this week. Planning time is short as I just learned that my Nebraska trip can not happen. I've killed a couple of bear over bait in Canada, but really look forward to a spot and stalk hunt. Killing a bear would be a plus of course, but hunting/camping in new country with even a chance at a bear is all a guy can ask for! Unless the big game license has changed, I believe I will get two deer tags as well, so that is (would be) a bonus.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline LeeBishop

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arkansas tradgangers, Black Bear question....
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »
You need to bear hunt in the Ouachita Mountains for bear, not the Ozark Plateau.

Either hunt to the east of Mena, Ar or south of a small town called Rover up onto of Fourche Mountain.  I can even tell you where i saw a cinnamon black bear on Fourche

Ozark has a bear quota, Ouachita doesn't since most of the bears live here due to it being much less populated by people.

Plenty of bears here. Look at either Scott or Yell
county.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arkansas tradgangers, Black Bear question....
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
Lee, just googled the area........you've definitely got my interest! Will send you a pm. Thanks, Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©