3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Military wool pants  (Read 343 times)

Offline JBridegroom22

• Trad Bowhunter
Military wool pants
« on: July 22, 2012, 08:54:00 PM »
I've been thinking about getting a pair of wool pants or bibs for hunting this year but I'm having a hard time trying to justify buying a pair of camo wool pants that are a few hundred dollars. I know good wool is expensive but it just seems like a lot of money. Has anyone tried any of the military surplus wool clothing? Thought about maybe trying a pair out but didn't know if it would be a waste of money. Thanks in advance. Josh

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Military wool pants
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »
I have had some U. S. wool uniform pants that were fine in moderarely cool weather, but were too light for real cold.Some of the surplus on-line sites have  wool that seems fairly heavy by the descriptions, particularly when looking at some of the European stuff.
Sam

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
I wear euopean mil surplus and find it adequate for most weather conditions.  They have great pockets over US mil wool dress slacks
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline AWPForester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 09:26:00 PM »
The green military wool pants are awesome.  I really like them.  They can be worn from 50 to single digits with a layer of wool underware and you will be comfortable.  For $20, why not give them a try.  Can't go wrong bro.  I think you will like them a lot.  God Bless
Psalm 25:3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: Let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
I wear them all the time (yes, I need wool pants here in the summertime). I have three pairs, each of which cost $9-20. They are pretty tough, but the pockets/buttons do wear out with time.

I wear thin longjohns underneath them to reduce the itch factor.

Good for hunting too... I've never been too worried about "camo" on my legs. If my legs are moving when an animal is looking at me I get seen whether I have camo pants or not.

Offline TWP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 10:49:00 PM »
Can anyone put up a link to some of these did a google search, but not sure which ones are better or worse than others.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
I have worn military wool pants [German] for 30 years. Tough as nails and warm, tight weave, just excellent pants for hunting. I have a gray pair and a pair that's kind of Olive brown! Good stuff and cheap ........   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline TWP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
Thanks Ron, the German pants look good, but wasn't sure if the Swedish, Italian or French were any different.

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 01:22:00 AM »
i have a pair of the columbia wool pants and bibs and they are awesome but they run big, you might need to get them hemed because they run long on the legs but they keep me very warm in late season hunting here in PA. Alot of places sell them and they are very reasonable under a $100 bucks. Check online thats where I got my bibs
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 02:32:00 AM »
been buying and using them for many years, can't go wrong with the price either. at the surplus store here I think the last pair I bought cost 12 bucks.

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 04:50:00 AM »
I bought four pair some time back $6.00 a pair, that were made for Sweden, the highest quality wool pants I have ever seen.

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 06:22:00 AM »
Military wool pants, OD green with the removable insulation (Not quite long johns)!

I've had them for many years. They are the best!
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 07:57:00 AM »
Bought 2 pair of Mil-surp German wool overpants. These are super heavy (you will want suspenders) but really warm. Took them to the local tailor shop and had zippers installed from the knee down. Easy to carry to my hunting location and slip on over my boots. They've lasted 15 years now with now serious signs of wear.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 08:44:00 AM »
I love Cabela's washable wool Legacy pants I believe they call 'em.  Very reasonable price and excellent quality.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 08:47:00 AM »
I have been looking in the army surplus stores.  The old german wool pants are only available in odd sizes, the supply seems to have run out.  if you find some buy them.  I had a pair i loved until my waist expanded.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
Dittos ... German Military wool pants are the best heavy-weights. Swedish are a very good but a bit lighter.  Both are bargains!
TommyBoy

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
I used to have a pair of the Swedish mil-surplus pants.  Very warm, solid pants, but they were cut to wear the belt up around the nipples.  That's a little weird for me so I quit wearing them...I don't know if that's normal for those pants, but definitely worth avoiding if possible.

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
Come on Gringol! Embrace your inner Old Man!! Just get a white leather belt and white shoes and you'll be fine!   :biglaugh:  

Seriously though, I like it cause it keeps my kidneys warm while I'm on stand.
TommyBoy

Offline Jayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »
Any links? I think I saw some before on Sportmans Wearhouse.  Like to make sure I getting the same ones everyone is talking about
Thanks
Black Widow PSA II #52 @ 26"

Offline JBridegroom22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »
Yea I've been looking at the German and Swedish ones. Deffinately seems like it would be worth a try for the money.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©