3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: practice with 1 arrow then retrieving it  (Read 568 times)

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
practice with 1 arrow then retrieving it
« on: July 22, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
I have been getting so sore in my finger joints, I started just shooting 1 arrow, going to get it, then shooting it again, over and over... till I have shot about 30 shots. I used to shoot 6 arrows, then go get them, shoot again and end up shooting about 75-80 arrows..This seems to help my joint pain and my concentration.
bryce olson

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: practice with 1 arrow then retrieving it
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
I can concentrate better on what I am doing if I just practice with one arrow at a time. If I try shooting groups then I tend to rush the consecutive shots.
James Kerr

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 12:00:00 AM »
I have been shooting single arrows for years-much better practice. As it gets closer to a hunt I shoot one or two arrows several hours apart.

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 12:16:00 AM »
same here, I might shoot groups every now and then for fun but when its practice time i shoot one and try to make it count because in hunting situations you only get one shot so you gotta make it count. If your first shot is always the best,what else matters?
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 12:24:00 AM »
One judo-tipped arrow comprises 98% of all my practice.  Lately, it has been 10-25 shots per day at wiffle balls, leaves, and dandelions in my yard, from from 15-35 yards with the occasional 50 yarder slipped in for variety.  It is really satisfying to end a session by center punching a ball from 20 or 25 yards...

Does me a lot more good for hunting purposes than shooting groups at fixed ranges.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 03:28:00 AM »
I like shooting groups myself.  just like seeing how tight I can get them and like seeing progress being made
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 05:04:00 AM »
Due to only currently having 2 serviceable arrows, when my wife and I went out the other day we shared arrows. It seemed to help my groups and hers. Prior to her coming out to play later than I did I was shooting both and groups were not as good. I think it was because I focused more per shot knowing it was my only shot. This is similar to gun hunters that shoot single shot rifles or muzzle loaders.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 07:19:00 AM »
I tried doing the 1-arrow thing once, but all it did was cause more pain in my knee with the torn meniscus.  I like to shoot about a half-dozen and then go get 'em.
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 08:36:00 AM »
I shoot one at a time as well. Keeps me from shooting too many arrows and having joint pain in my bow arm elbow and pulling shoulder. I also tend to shoot better when doing one at a time. Added bonus is you don't shoot and ruin your own arrows!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 08:38:00 AM »
I shoot groups most of the time during the off-season. As a serious hunting season gets closer I continue to shoot groups but I really count the first arrow as the most important, for reasons stated above.

I always warm-up the shooting muscles by 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 drawing the bow 5-6 times before I shoot. I also do this in my treestands before it gets light on AM shots.

Once hunting season begins I reduce my shooting of groups and typically shoot one arrow from the tree stand at the conclusion of an AM hunt and one arrow at the start of a PM hunt. I try to make sure that PM shot is taken where I DON'T expect a deer to walk so I don't have a human scent bomb in a position to maybe spook a deer.

I've experienced a little soreness in the bowarm elbow (amazing what ice will do for that!). I also had sore drawing hand finger joints when I shot with a glove. I switched to a tab (Cavalier Elite-3Rivers) two years ago and that joint soreness disappeared.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
Shooting groups always seemed counter-productive to me.
The better you shoot, the more you break your arrows/nocks.

Offline UrbanDeerSlayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
Been taking single shots lately. Its the first one that counts. As the season draws near I'll be taking single cold shots from the tree stand.
Shoot Straight, Feel Great!

Offline woodbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
thats the only way i practice,been doing it for years, like some stated i focus more on that one arrow. if i shoot a bunch at a time groups open up. plus you get alot more exercise

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
Like Buckeye and Lost Arra said, no more ripped feathers or busted nocks.
David M. Conroy

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
Especially with broadheads, I'm a big believer in the "one arrow at a time" concept. Sometimes I find myself walking them in if I shoot more than that. I NEVER shoot more than 3.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline hardtimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
I have been shooting single arrow for the last couple of years. Sometimes I will shoot two arrows but no more than two.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
I always shoot the first arrow as if I was in a hunting situation, then I start to practice. Being old and decrepit I have to shoot a lot to keep my strength up.

I've noticed during the season when I'm hunting almost every day and don't shoot, when I do I'm not as strong or sharp..so I shoot a lot.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »
I suppose everyone has to find what practice routine works best for him/her. Occasionally I shoot one arrow and then pull it, but only at the end of a long practice session when I’m trying to avoid sloppy shooting due to fatigue. In the winter time, I split my practice between close bale work in my basement (12 yards and under) and longer indoor shooting at the club (10-40 yards). When the weather’s nice I’ll usually go to the club, start off with a 14 field to work on form, and then move on to 3Ds to work on distance estimation and forcing myself to pick a spot where there isn’t one.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »
Been doing for a while now.  I hate breaking arrows!    :bigsmyl:
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
I, like Hawkeye, like to vary the practice with one judo tipped arrow and walk to it. Ranges from 10-80 or more yards. Great exercise.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©