3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting spots  (Read 181 times)

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
Shooting spots
« on: July 23, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
I have been shooting spots in my basement about 18yrds. I go to a friends and shoot a 3-d bear and find he hard to pick a spot. Does anyone else have a this problem?
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting spots
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
Absolutely, that is one of the main reasons I switched to gap shooting.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
A plague that has existed since the beginning of the 1st activity that requires marksmanship.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
What do you mean shooting spots?  Picking a spot to shot at?
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
I shot HORRIBLE at a 3-d course a couple of weeks ago, I had been shooting great at the reinhart 18:1.

I am thinking I need to stop shooting dots and start shooting strictly 3-d animals in real life situations.  This really upset my confidence and has even caused me to practice less while waiting on the ordered 3-d targets to get assembled and set out.

I think for me it's also a matter of feet positioning.  Out in the open, where I can set my body/feet in a confortable position I am good, but put me on a 3-d course where the stance is compromised I am am Mr. 5 points!  Changing up my practice 180 degrees from now on.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »
I mean shooting a target with spots
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
Stop with the spots.  Got to dial in your "focus", which is much different when your mind isn't preoccupied with looking at the dot.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
Yup!
Shooting spots really draws your focus to a very well defined point. Picking a small point of focus on an animal target is much more difficult. Concentration is the key for me.
Ken Thornhill

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 11:52:00 AM »
I actually had the opposite effect this past weekend.

Went to my buddies house, and was shooting with him in his backyard. We were shooting at a Block Target with 10 different spots, and X's , and other different stuff going on on the face of the target.

I only shoot at bails with a plain cardboard target I cut out and put a couple white accents on the belly, etc to give it a real life feel, or a 3D deer target.

I could not for the life of me concentrate on one of the 10 spots on the target. There was so much going on with that target, I couldn't concentrate for heck...

I prefer shooting at things that force me to "find a spot" and concentrate. If a target is too diluted with spots to look at, I crumble..

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
Shooting bullseye targets provides a lot of valuable feedback, but it does not force you to pick a spot. That's why I feel (for me at least) a well balanced practice routine of bullseye targets and 3D is important.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
If you can imagine a "spot" or "dot" on where you want to hit your target that will help ten fold on an animal (or target) in the shade, back-lit or at dusk. Many times a black bear or boar target can be a nightmare without using your minds eye when shooting.

Jay Kidwell wrote a book about it... Might want to get hold of "Masters of the Barebow" Volume 4, The Mental Side of the Shot.

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 02:18:00 PM »
For me this is a concentration problem.  When I really get my mind zeroed in on the spot I want to hit my shooting is much better.  Targets with spots or bullz-eyes make it very easy to focus on the spot you're shooting at.  3D targets make you "imagine" the spot, which is much more realistic.

It's very similar to "sky-busting" when hunting ducks.  For sky-busters, flocks of ducks are harder to hit than single ducks because they have a hard time focusing on a single bird.  You are probably aiming at the whole animal (and you're hitting it), but you need to be aiming at a ticks ass that is perched just above that deers elbow just behind the shoulder.  It can be fixed, it just takes practice.  Lay off the bull-eye and spot targets for a while and force yourself to zoom in on that tick's butt.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
Thanks for all the comments.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
I find that when I am having a hard time with shooting, going back to my basement and shooting at a red dot really helps me get back.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©