3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pre-Season Training aka Dang I'm Old  (Read 258 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Pre-Season Training aka Dang I'm Old
« on: July 23, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
For years I have read threads and articles about pre-bow season training. I sorta 1/2 read them, knowing that my 3 or so times a week to the gym allow me to climb a tree stand, drag out a deer, chase rabbits, etc.

I seem to usually be slightly overwieght....I'm not a slob....my heart, lungs, and legs are strong.....but I have a gut.

As posted already, my upcoming trip to Idaho forced me into a more strict workout regimine. I started out by doubling my standard workout....twice around the "circuit" (sort of a complete body, slightly aroebic workout)and then adding 30 minutes on the treadmill. Total time in gym, 90 minutes.

So here is where my suprise came in....I decided to "do the stairs" at the local football stadium. I put 20#'s of steel plates in my daypack, strapped on my hiking boots, and hit the highschool. IT KILLED ME. I figure that this workout is closer to real world circumstances. One hour, done like this....up and down the stairs at a pretty good clip, until my heart/lungs are screaming...about 6 "up/downs cycles". Then a quick hike around the track. At the completion of each lap, I go "up/down" the stairs again. This time I RUN up the stairs. After an hour, I am crushed.

My point for posting this is that I have "kinda" worked out all my life. But this simple, outside, real world workout is the most challenging eye opener.....if you are a midwestern treestand sitter (like me), cosidering a trip West....working out inside the gym may not cut it.

As someone suggested to me in another thread, I will find some challenging, uneven ground this week to utilize, getting my ankles used to inconsistent terrain.

Also, at the end of each session, I hustle home and shoot my bow while I'm weak. Another eye opener.

Dang I'm getting old.....  :rolleyes:
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pre-Season Training aka Dang I'm Old
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 09:14:00 AM »
Now think of all that at 10,000 feet. You'll be fine ,just keep at it and keep your eye on the prize. When the Bull comes around the blow down at 12 yards and your at full draw..........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
Roger, I commend you on the effort! You know what you need to do and it will be all good in the end . Please let us know after the hunt how your training made things better for you..And Yes we're getting old. Maxx
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
Gettin old ain't for sissies, is it? Believe me, I understand where you are coming from. I have worked out since my teens, and at the tender age of 65, I can notice that I'm no longer a kid.  But, being old and slow is better than being dead, so I keep pushing, even though it seems to hurt a bit more now than it did years ago.
Your heart, lungs and legs will thank you for what you are doing when you go to Idaho, however. The mountains seem to get taller and steeper as the years go by, but you are doing what you can to mitigate that. Keep on truckin'.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline woodbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
roger i know exactly what your talking about. when i lived in alaska we planned a dall sheep hunt, i was 44 at the time we climbed stairs with loaded packs and worked out  on regular basis, best shape id been in 20 years still was not enough.push yourself as much as possible the real stuff is more difficult than going up flat stairs at even spacing/ good luck on your hunt

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
"Gettin old ain't for sissies, is it?"

Absolutely.

I have also come to be thankful that I never smoked...my Dad has limited lung capacity from smoking, and frankly, it looks like something horrible to endure.

I wish some cool weather would come in, I want to do this workout with the long pants and shirts I intend to wear on the hunt. i would like to make sure there aren't any chafe points, etc. But with the 90+ temps we have had, I'm going with the lightest clothing possible.

As an aside...my shooting while under stress seems fine. For whatever reason, my arrows are slightly high (like 3 inches)when I'm still shaking from the workout, but I think a 3 inch group will be ok on a elks rib cage

G. Fred Asbell

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
Atta Boy Roger, keep at it...it will be well worth it.  :thumbsup:  

The real thing will be with about 1/3 less oxygen, the first day will feel like you didnt workout at all until you get acclimated.

Eric

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
Hey Buddy,

We got a few hills up here to help train you on. Come on up and I'll point you up one and hold the timer in one hand and a Guiness in the other.   :laughing:

It's been pretty hot up here, so the summer bike rides have fallen by the wayside for three weeks. Angela and I finally got out for a ride yesterday morning (24 miles averaging about 16mph) and these 50 year old legs were feeling it. I do think there's something to the cold water treatment after working out. We went to the beach on East Bay and the floated around in the deeper cooler water on and off all afternoon and today my legs feel pretty good. I've seen where the pro atheletes are doing ice baths after hard workouts to improve recovery.

When I was going out west in my 20's and 30's I was mostly just doing bike riding (lot's of hill training) and playing basketball. I think weight training mixed with your stair climbing at the stadium is your best bet.  Make sure you break in those new boots now instead of getting some just before the hunt. As I mentioned in the other thread, take care of your feet (top notch boots and socks); back with a good fitting pack; and eyes with good fitting high quality binoculars. You'll be thankful you did.  

I'll tell you my Crested Butte story from years ago. I went out with two friends who had hunted there for several years.  They had got into elk on their side of the mountain before and were hard pressed to stay there. Finally after four days of no elk I hike up above camp and sat my butt down and glassed at first light. Over on the next mountain I saw elk moving up to the top. The next morning one of the friends (who was not being stubborn) and I were down the mountain and up the other side at first light.  Almost got a shot at a 6x6 that came between us at a wallow.  It was a couple of miles up and down, but SEEING, THEN BEING ABLE TO MOVE QUICKLY was a key to the opportunity.  

You're on the right course with your workouts and you'll be happy (Lori too  :D  ) that you put in the work.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
Kind of like combat focused training vs regular PT.  Both have benifits, but are very different types of activity.  Be sure that at least a portion of your workouts involve real world type work.  Good thing you noticed it now.
Silence is golden.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
Sweeney is right on. To train to hike mountains, the best training is to hike mountains. I'm fortunate in that I live very near big mountains, so I try to focus my workouts on hilly areas, whether I'm hiking or biking. Nothing gets you in shape for mountains like mountains. Since many of us don't live in mountainous areas, doing stadium stairs with weight may be as good as it gets. Still, as stated above, the lack of oxygen will be yet another wakeup call when you get to your hunting destination, and even very fit people have to acclimate when they go from sea level to altitude. I live at 5000 feet, and when I head up to 9000 feet, I definitely feel the difference.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
years ago my guide/friend Bill Hill said the main problem he saw from "Easterners" they really never conditioned the legs enough, mostly calf and ankles. They take a pounding climbing and coming down off steep mtns.

My buddy and I would put packs on and walk a road here called Mile Hill. It winds up a mountain but its pretty steep. Three times a week for 3 months had our legs in great shape. We would jog a mile 2 nights at the track to get the wind we needed.

As we get older, our bodies don't respond like it did years earlier. Key is take your time and get in shape slowly. Injuries like groin, hamstring or pulled muscles will put a major damper on any strenuous hunt.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 12:29:00 PM »
Great to hear Roger!

Not sure I'm as far along in the "planning of a western hunt" as you are but it has popped up on my radar screen recently. Need to do more working out so good to hear what others are doing.

What sort of "questions" do you get for others at the track when they see you doing what you're doing?

Good luck and keep it up!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
"What sort of "questions" do you get for others at the track when they see you doing what you're doing?"

Funny you should ask....There are lots of football players up there, doing thier pre-season "skills camps"...My daughter has recieved quite a few texts from these boys, along the lines of "your Dads up here and he looks scary"....so double benefit   :)  

Ray....basketball is the best heart lung workout ever....are you still playing?

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Roger, the right knee was starting to get sore a few years ago after playing. Nothing too bad, but at my age, I didn't want to push getting knee replacement surgery like my older brother who had it at age 52. Not that I'm anywhere close to any of that.  I loved playing the game and it was great for endurance when trying to get up those mountains.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Richard in OK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
Checked your profile. You're 49, and that's too young to complain about being old. I'm 67 (68 in October). I walk the lab twice every day, a mile each time when the weather's not too hot for her (or me). That's over rough ground, pastures, creek bottoms (they're all dry now), etc. I need to do some upper body work, and wear a back pack when the weather cools off. Our mild hills are sometimes a challenge. But I'm 67, not 49.
Richard

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
2 mile run everyday, weight training of some part of body, once a week 60 pound pack 2 miles in neigborhood, push mow lawn with 30 pound pack twice a week, shoot bow at various yardages out to 40 yards everyday. Moving to Hills/woods 1 Aug with longer stretches in neighborhood.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
You tell'em Richard  ;)   Good job keeping in shape.  It's been tougher every year since I passed 60 (now 63) but with some judicious work and listening to my body I can still get it done.  That last part about listening to my body has been the hardest to take - can't simply power thru the pain anymore without risking an injury.  If I play my cards right I hope to make elk camp for many more years.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Richard in OK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
The RMEF mag, Bugle, once published an article titled "Are there Elk after 50?" I haven't hunted elk yet, but I hope to in the future. I shoot 46 and 50# bows and I can walk a long way. Make it easy on yourself. Slow down.

Richard

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 04:56:00 AM »
Thanks Richard! I hear you.....it's just that my brain is still 17, and my body is closing on 50...  :bigsmyl:

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 05:39:00 AM »
It's kind of a Club.
Welcome to it...
The "getting in shape" thing has to become a "being in shape thing". Now everyday or so from now to the end, working out at something to be always able to "climb those stairs" without too much pain.
I'm 61 and just learning this lesson.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©