3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OH, the huge manatee!!!!!  (Read 804 times)

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: OH, the huge manatee!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Java Man:
Being the one who gets the honor of replacing the bow, I would rather a hidden defect be the problem.  Or else, I have to worry every time a bow gets shipped.   :scared:    

How many are in the mail every day crisscrossing the country?  

Heat would be a nice scapegoat though!

Gregg
Thats the truth eh Gregg? I get the shakes just thinking about sending a bow this year. I try to get shipped on a Monday so it can keep moving for at least 6 days.
Sorry for the Loss to you 3.
CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Derrick in Missouri

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
To all bow builders ship bows in coolers packed with dry ice!!! I dont buy heat as the killer most glue for bow building is cured in hot box around 150-180 degree. So if bow doesnt get to those temps glue wont fail.I would go with defect but thats why you buy bows from the ones who stand behind there products. Im sure shrew will take good care of you.

Offline S C Mercer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
If that bow was shipped in an airtight PVC tube, I bet the heat was the issue.  It would be in a virtual oven inside the tube while the delivery company / man left in in a hot truck or wharehouse for hours.  Can bows be shipped in tubes with ventilation holes drilled into them to at least let warm air escape??  Just a thought.  ~Steve

Offline Derrick in Missouri

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »
Ok it was heat wait till october to ship bows.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
It was shipped in a white box. I, too, for all our sakes, hope it was just some unseen flaw in one of the lams. It is little unnerving to think about a bunch of bows sweltering in boxes in the back of a vehicle during this heat wave.

I wonder if turns out to be heat damage, is there any recourse through USPS? I have to think that high temps could damage a whole host of things and surely they take steps to prevent exposure.

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2012, 03:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by The Vanilla Gorilla:
I was so hoping this was a manatee hunting thread....
You reckon they are any good to eat?
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shortlongbow:

Originally posted by The Vanilla Gorilla:
I was so hoping this was a manatee hunting thread....
You reckon they are any good to eat? [/b]
They have to be tasty! They're just one giant backstrap with a head and some little flippers!  They say they are protected, but I doubt an arrow would bounce off one.

As for the bow, I don't buy that it was heat related.  Believe it or not, this isn't the first hot summer we've ever had (well, maybe it is for some of yall).  I think there was just some small flaw that was in the material that wasn't visible to the eye.   Sometimes poop happens.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
OH I JUST ATE!!!!!!!!!!!. Where's the tums

Offline Coldfingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
I hate it when that happens.

I had my first bow failure a few weeks back. My 2 piece T-Stick blew while I was drawing down on a large turtle. It was to be my primary bow when I go to Africa in a few days. Durn the luck. Oh well, I have another bow and I sure got a lot of years of pleasure from the T-Stick. (hopefully, you will get years out of the replacement for your Manitee.)

Could have been alot worse...we both still have ten fingers and eyeballs left!
Porquipines are peacefull creatures, but God still saw fit to give them quills.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
Were you hurt?  I know it pained you.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
Although the summer heat theory is within the rhelm of possibility, I think if this were an issue we all would have figured out a long time ago not to ship bows during the summer months.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
That Bites!!! She was a beauty...

At least you did not have time to fall in love with her.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
No, I wasn't hurt at all. Like I said earlier, it wasn't a violent explosion, it just simply collapsed as I drew it back. My hand was a few inches from full draw.

You know, at first, I think I just laughed. What else can you do? Believe it or not, I actually had an incident with another new bow a year or so ago. I ordered a different type of bow with cocobolo veneers. The bowyer didn't wipe the limbs down with acetone prior to glue up, and by the time I got the bow, there were already some splotches under the back glass. It held together for a while, but eventually delaminated. The bowyer made the situation right and built me an even better looking bow.

Two years ago, I had a really nice Adcock non-acs delaminate on me, and I really felt sick about that one. It was a used bow and was really a piece of art. It was also probably the best shooting bow I've ever handled. The sickening part about that bow wasn't just the financial loss, it was knowing there weren't any replacement limbs available. I still have the riser of that bow.

I've also had an untold number of my own hickory selfbows break on me. I used to just be glad if a bow lasted through a hunting season, and I honestly saw them as somewhat disposable. No doubt I didn't treat them gently. I'd used them to hack brush out of my way, use them as walking sticks, toss them in the back of my truck, leave them hanging in a hot shed, etc.

I guess I'll just say that, while I don't expect a bow to break, I'm not surprised when one does. Sure it's disappointing, but I actually felt more concern for both Ron and Gregg. I'm self-employed and know that a thing like this can totally erase any profit they had on the bow. I hate to see a man do good work for free, unless he wants to, of course.

Let me also say that the fit and finish on this bow is as fine as I have seen. Very tight glue lines, no sanding marks, and a perfect finish. I couldn't find one blemish, anywhere. The tips looked great and the grip was exactly what I asked for. When it broke, one of my main thoughts was that it really was a shame to see it happen to such a nice piece of craftsmanship.

Offline MadDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2012, 11:12:00 PM »
Those pics are horrific, I think I just threw up in my mouth........  :(

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©