3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Removing inserts ???  (Read 347 times)

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Removing inserts ???
« on: August 05, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »
Hope someone can help , I bought a dozen Goldtip Tradional arrows to try out and asked that no inserts be installed , when they arrived they had aluminum inserts glued in . Any suggestions about how I can remove them ? Thanks , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Removing inserts ???
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
Carefully, they are probably epoxied in, which requires a bit more heat than hot melt, but it can still be done. You can't heat the carbon shaft directly without doing damage, so what I do is screw something into the bushing, I use a long aluminum broadhead adaptor, you could also use a fieldpoint and heat that with a very localized flame, I use a alcohol lamp. Heat a bit and pull hard on the adaptor with pliers until it comes out. The aluminum adaptor works great since it tranfers the heat fast.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 05:49:00 PM »
Thanks Rick , I'll give it a try , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »
The best thing I ever tried was a small diameter screwdriver shaft cut off so it is 4 inches long total. Sand or file the ends so it doesn't scar the inside of the shaft. Remove the nock and insert the small screwdriver shaft inside, now turn the arrow shaft upside down in your hand and quickly whip it down towards the ground. Basicly you're using a slide hammer inside the shaft to break the insert free. I tried this after I buggered up a few shafts with heat. If you try heat make sure you pull straight, if you twist it out it can tear up the shaft.
Good Luck.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©