3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: quickclot sponge and tourniquet  (Read 506 times)

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
quickclot sponge and tourniquet
« on: July 23, 2012, 03:07:00 PM »
anyone else carry them?

a  tourniquet saved my life in 1980, when my arm got torn off.

i shot a little whitetail buck through the ham 1 time  (he jumped the string.  that's my story and i'm sticking to it).

he made it 15 yards.  looked like you'd poured the blood from a bucket.  femoral artery.

i reckon between hog tusks, broadheads, and bowie knives, i oughta have gear to stop bleeding handy.

for me and my dogs.

after watching that buck bleed out in about 5 seconds, i don't keep 'em in my pack, either.

they're in my pocket.

joe

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: quickclot sponge and tourniquet
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
I watched 127 Hours this weekend. Tourniquet saved his life, too. I've never carried one, though. Figured i could use my belt in a pinch.

What do type do you carry?

Offline USMC0311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
Tourniquets are a must for everyone in my opinion. They saved many of my fellow marines in afghan and iraq. If you can find it get quick clot gauze. Try to stay away from the sand looking quick clot cant remember the exact name but it burns real hot when in contact with blood.

Offline USMC0311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
And also the we called them cat tourniquets but they are the best you can get. heres the link  http://combattourniquet.com/

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 10:18:00 PM »
they used the gauze on my son and worked pretty good. i would like to get some but never really looked for them. should do that and put some with my gear and in my truck.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Suty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »
Here's Mine , and I don't leave home without it. Well, Actually.. I have a three .. 1 in my truck , 1 in my Bison Gear, and 1 in my USAR Ruck.

Dryad Orion ACS Recurve 53#

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."  Edmund Burke

Offline navycorpsman8425

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 12:33:00 PM »
I carry a CAT/Quickclot with me at all times.  comes with the job!

TxAG sent you a pm!

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
PM sent back. Thanks!  This is an interesting thread. Opened my eyes a bit.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Kids with sharp toys need such.  Thanks for the threadas a reminder.  Will have one of each with me this season.   You should see the back of my leg from trying to to stalk a buck and crawling under a fence.  Sure could have used the gauze.  Again thanks
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 09:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by USMC0311:
And also the we called them cat tourniquets but they are the best you can get. heres the link   http://combattourniquet.com/  
We use the cat tourn. use quick clot as well but as said in a gauze. They go hand in hand, but watch a tourniquet as you may los ewhat you apply it to but it is better than dyin.

Unless you are experienced in military med or an EMT in civilian life stop by your local paramedics and get the low down on what to look for and how to properly apply both. They are more than happy to give anyone a rundown.

I have to ask, how did you tear off an arm? if none of my business -  completely understood.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Sambar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
both the cat tourniquet and quick clot are good when used properly, but i would always say to try your basics first direct pressure and elevation first,in all my years in the Army and now a paramedic i have only had to use a tourniquet very few times where direct pressure and elevation has not worked, dont get me wrong i always carry them as if you are alone and in real trouble they are perfect. but just remember they can give you very nasty outcomes if left on for to long and whatever you do if you put one on DO NOT TAKE IT OFF UNTIL U R IN HOSP as releasing it can cause lots of nasty toxins that have built up to be released to your heart and send you into cardiac arrest believe me i have seen this. its the same principle as people that are crushed and still alive when they release them most of the time they do not die of blood loss its because the have a massive build up of potassium and when released it goes to the heart and bang cardiac arrest. just be careful and only use them as a last resort.
Those who hunt miss... those who don't hunt miss far more.
Time spent without bow or rod in hand is time forever wasted.

Offline Suty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
Both Jdog, and Sambar are correct. These CAT are to be used as a last resort, when Direct Pressure , and Elevation , have failed. Training is the key and I would encourage everyone to seek some kind of Higher Level Training. Your local Fire Depts, or Red Cross can be a good place to start. Even after 25 Years on the Ambulance and Fire Dept, I am amazed at what some folks do, or don't do  when it comes to Patient Care. I have used them in about 3 instances  that I can recall in all that time. 2 Were Amputations, and the other was a massive avulsion of tissue . In any case good training is the key and common sense is the rule.  Tu Compadres, Sutty
Dryad Orion ACS Recurve 53#

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."  Edmund Burke

Offline Sambar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 11:54:00 PM »
All i will say is know your gear before you use it, you don't go try take a deer with a new bow you havnt tuned up and shot so don't go put a tourniquet on if you have not been showed the correct way and have some background knowledge on it.As stated in previous post can have very very dangerous outcomes if not used correctly,

Suty said it best he has used a tourniquet 3 times in his 25 year career as a pre hospital care practitioner, and i have only used them once in Australia as a paramedic in 5 years service and twice in a combat situation when in the Army in Iraq and the 2 times in a combat situation was only done as i couldn't stay with the patient to do direct pressure and elevation for him. for some reason when you ask people to stop shooting at you they don't really listen LOL

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 06:08:00 AM »
i don't doubt that, as with most things, training is a good idea.

but i don't buy that you shouldn't use a tourniquet without it.

when i saw the blood spurting from the stump of my arm, in the woods 90 miles from a hospital, i knew 1 thing:

this has just naturally got to stop!     :scared:    whipped off my suspenders, picked up a stick, made a lousy tourniquet, applied it inexpertly, and stopped the flow.

also, i think it's worth pointing out that you guys are healthy professionals doing the job you are trained to do, whether on battlefield or street.

a man hunting alone who falls on a broadhead and cuts a big artery is in very different fix.

i don't mean to seem argumentative.  i  appreciate you guys, especially your military service.

joe

Offline Sambar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 06:26:00 AM »
I totally agree with you mate u can't sit there with your arm hanging off and walk out to help using direct pressure and elevation. you need a tourniquet for that anyday of the week. Some people freak at the sight of blood and panic witch is a natural reaction but think of it this way the adverage human can loose approx 3-4lt of blood before dieing of blood loss and think of a glass of water and if u tipped that glass of water on the floor how far it spreads that's only 250mls. I just wanted to put it out there that they are not the first point of call that's all and if possible try other means to stop bleeding before using one. And the complications of using them so people are aware. But defenetly in your case I would have done the same thing every day of the week.

Offline Sambar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 07:10:00 AM »
And sorry as for using them without training, if you r going to carry one like a cat in your kit then I think you would be stupid not to know how to use it as some are not as easy to use as they look and if done up to tight can break making them useless. But as u said I agree totally anyone can use a tourniquet without training using anything they can put around there limb tight enough to stop bleeding it's not rocket science, but what I'm getting at is if u are going to carry one in your kit know how it works and when to ise it that's all.

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
i'm with you all the way, brother.

err...mate.

thanks.

joe

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
I have not used the quick clot, but in Marines used a few tourniquets and twice since being out.  I have cat one in truck, and always carry web belt.  guys, I was lucky enough to get some great training with what I did in the Corps and if your going to spend the money to use it, go through a course or get somekind of support training.

Offline camodadd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 12:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by sledge:
when my arm got torn off
:eek:  How?   :eek:   How are you doing nowadays with all that?  Hows your bow shooting?

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
I take blood thinners and hunt alone so always take the Quickclot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©