3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pulling out HIT inserts  (Read 200 times)

Offline JBridegroom22

• Trad Bowhunter
Pulling out HIT inserts
« on: July 24, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »
A few weeks back I purchased a dozen beman classics off of here and am just now getting around to cutting them down to work for me. I shoot mainly the bemans and the Easton's and use hot melt when doing my inserts. I had a friend tell me that the glue that comes with the inserts is really hard to get out. I've tried heating the point and screwing it in, I've tried slightly heating the shaft and I've tried a combination of both. I already fletched them so cutting off the back isn't an option I want to go and besides that I need to change the brass to aluminum to tune them. Thanks in advance for any help. Josh

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pulling out HIT inserts
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 09:57:00 PM »
There are some people here who do a trick with a drill bit that might work. I am not sure about the process but it works for them.
James Kerr

Offline JBridegroom22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
That's an idea. I hope someone tells how to do that. I'd like to salvage the brass but at this point I need them out.

Offline michbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 10:04:00 PM »
Josh, I have had the same problem.  I used the two part epoxy that came with the arrows.  I haven't found a way to remove them...Really don't think I will either.  Don't bother heating, it will melt the carbon before it lets go...don't ask how I know.  :rolleyes:  

I ended up ordering some new arrows with aluminium inserts.
At least I won't have to worry about them coming loose!

Offline Thare1774

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
You really can't, that epoxy is tougher than the carbon in my experience. The arrow always breaks before the insert even budged.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 11:33:00 PM »
I dont think its possible. I spent like ten minutes trying to knock it out with a drill bit and nothing, didnt even budge.  maybe get a long rod and hit it with a hammer would work.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Cobrah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 12:56:00 AM »
I recently tuned some Easton FMJ's to my recurve. I had to cut them down while I already had set the inserts in. I used a propane torche and left a field point barely sticking in the insert. I heated the shaft while rotating it pretty fast, for about 30 seconds. I used some firefighting gloves(I'm sure any leather type will work) and gave it one easy pull and it came out. The propane torche heats up pretty hot so that might have been the trick for me. Hope it works out for you.
Hoyt Dorado Recurve 50#
Tred Barta Longbow 55#

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »
I did a thread on this a while back. I used a long 8/32 screw and heated the screw until the glue weakened and the aluminum inserts came out without damaging the shafts. I tried it on brass inserts but it did not work as well. The brass are very long and need more heat.....the shafts just can't take it.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©