3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many of you missed shots at deer in 2006?  (Read 8560 times)

Offline david janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
How many of you missed shots at deer in 2006?
« on: January 16, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
I was wondering how many of us have missed deer in 2006 hunting season?? I missed a nice 6 pt. at about 8yds. You guessed it Buck Fever. Lets hear details of what happened.
David Janssen

Offline Dances with drums

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many of you missed shots at deer in 2006?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
I didnt get any shots, I didnt go out much. Hopefully I'll be out more next year
"You can shoot a compound and use your binoculars and be all serious, or you can shoot a trad bow and have fun just flinging arrows at a target. Me, I choose option number two" -Me (Josiah Vivian)

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »
Didn't miss.  4for4 all does.  straight down, 32yrds, 5yrds, 8yrds.  I did get a chance at a nice 10pt. but he caught me at full draw and bolted.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
didn't miss a deer, but i did miss a blesbok at 20 yards. i made up for the miss though!   :cool:

>~Rob~>
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Glenn29

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Whittington Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
Missed a doe opening day at 15 yards   :rolleyes:   and then missed another one the last day at 25 yards   :smileystooges:
Can't see the forest for all the trees..

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 08:34:00 PM »
I had no deer shots with the longbow this year. I did miss a fox at 10 yards.

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
First week of bow season, I missed a pretty nice buck at about 8 yards (he ducked, arrow went right over his back), later that afternoon, same place, same result....put an arrow right over the back of a doe....

My luck did change. I ended up with two nice bucks and a couple of javelina by the end of season.....
In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline Mike Burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 08:39:00 PM »
I missed a little 6pt. I was 30' up a tree and the deer was just about 10-12 yards. Right over his back.  :banghead:  I should have practiced more at that height.

Mike

Offline david janssen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 08:46:00 PM »
Keep the stories coming.
David Janssen

Offline gobbler10ga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
only 5
TEAM HILLBILLY

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
Missed my fair share, I think the total was 3.  At least I got shots this year. Last year, ( first trad season) I never let an arrow fly at a deer, only turkey.

jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline MWM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
Missed 2 - shot 2. No wounded deer.

Offline bowhunter97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
I went 5 for 5 this year.
phil:4.13

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »
I missed 3 does. Killed one at 23 yards. Missed one at 13 yards. I was 25 ft up a tree shot right over her back. Missed 2 more does on the last day one at 18 yards and one at about twenty. Same scenario - right over their backs. I committed myself to practice more from an elevated position. This was my first year hunting with trad gear, so I am still learning. I have been shooting instinctively so I think my brain was seeing the line of site distance instead of the true yardage.

Offline **oneshot**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
First day of the season,  15 minutes in stand.  Someone/thing disturbed the bedding area and I had 7 deer within 20yds in a matter of seconds,  all of them frozen and looking back at the bedding area.  I grabbed my bow and picked a doe at 12yds,  shot over her by a foot or so and under shot the farther doe by about the same.  Guess my brain was still focused on which one was a better angle.
Pick a spot,  One tiny little spot        **oneshot**

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
No shots this year.

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 09:07:00 PM »
Well...  This is one thread I'd rather not be able to post on.  LOL  I have hunted hard this year, spending as much or more time chasing whitetails as I ever have.  I have never taken a deer with my longbow and this was going to be my year.

Season opens here on October first... which was a Monday this year.  I wrangled my way into a day off but didn't see anything.  I didn't realize it then but in retrospect that was the day that set the tone for my season -- thus far.  My second hunting opportunity was the first Saturday of October, to borrow a famous phrase "it was a day that will live in infamy" -- at least in my mind, memory and dreams!

At about 8:30 that morning a really nice buck decided to check a scrape right by my ground blind.  He was an 8 point with about an 18-20" inside spread.  His tines were not real tall (6-8" G2's), but he was a real nice buck.  The sequence of events will forever be etched in my mind.  He approached from behind the blind walked past my blind at about 20 yards and turned to cross in front of me at what I thought was about 20 yards (my first mistake -- I stepped it off at 15 yards.)

As he made his turn and proceeded into my shooting lane he stopped about a step short of being far enough into the opening for a shot.  The tension built as his sixth sense kicked in and he gave the whole area a once over.  I had the bow up and the string tensed, waiting for the shot.  As he finally began to step clear, I began to draw the bow.  That's when he vapor-locked and froze!

As the bow came to full draw he turned and looked straight at me.  I hit anchor and failed to maintain my concentration.  The excitement of the moment and the tension got the best of me.  As I released he ducked and my arrow flew high.  It sailed just over his back and he bounded off to about 50 yards and proceeded to walk around the blind.  It would turn out to be the most exciting moment of 2006.

I consoled myself with the fact that there was a whole lot of deer season left.  However, that day turned out to be the only time in 2006 that I even had the chance to put tension on my string.  No other shot opportunity has presented itself -- thus far.

The good news is that our season is not yet over.  I have until February 28th, and I haven't given up yet!  I'm back at it again this Saturday...
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »
I had mixed results also.  8pt buck, two does killed at less than 10 yards.  Couple does missed at 15-20 yards.  No wounded animals.  Can't wait to get after those hogs and goats in TX.

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
I missed the same 10 point buck two different times. Both times he heard the shot and did some Jet Li/Matrix move and dropped to the ground as the arrow flew over him. One time he even watched it clipping the hair off his back. Third time I got a shot at him I aimed low. That time it connected although not the shot I wanted. He started to spin as the arrow hit and it took the energy and penetration out of the shot. A second arrow finished him off. Other than that I passed up several other chances at bucks. One was a real nice 10 but I never take 2 breeder bucks from the same area in the same year.
"You dishonor an animal if you take it's spirit without knowing  and respecting the way it lived."

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
Friend took my to LaVaca county TX, his wife's boss's porperty.  Hunt for does only.  Two stand locations, so I picked the upper one.  Had five deer in front of me.  Nice 10 point 3 1/2 yr old buck at 12 yards broadside.  Drew on him twice but was there fro does ONLY.  He chased them around in front of me like a pony ride.  Finally, had a mature doe stop in a spot about 13 yards out between two finger sized twigs.  Draw-anchor-release- and what was that last part, oh yeah follow through.  Knew I forgot something.  The top twig is vibrating and the arrow is over the does back in the ground.  
Deer scatter about 5 -10 yards.  Then doe number two comes walking back to the same spot looking at those pretty orange fletching sticking out of the ground.  She enters the same window between the twigs at about 13 yards.  Point blank. Right. Easy shot,  Right.  Step 1-2-3-  what was 4.  Oh yeah FOLLOW THROUGH.  Lower twig is vibrating and arrow number two is sticking in the ground about 3 feet fron the first one.  This was enough for the ladies and they left.  One started to come back from straight behind me just to make me feel real bad about the whole thing.  Man I Love hunting Whitetails.

This year Deer - 2; Me - 0

Michael
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"