3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many of you missed shots at deer in 2006?  (Read 8562 times)

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many of you missed shots at deer in 2006?
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »
I only had one opportunity for a shot...took it...and made a clean miss.  She was a doe fawn and I shot under her at 25yards.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2007, 09:26:00 AM »
Missed 3 and killed 3 no wounds.I missed a 8 point at 10 yards he didn't know what happened and I killed him at 23 yards.Missed a doe at 6 steps I still ant figured that one out,I just had to laught.
   Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule
Home of the Tennessee Classic

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
I missed a doe at 15 yards. She was real nervous and knew that something was not right, but she finally settled down and offered a quartering away shot while feeding. She dropped and spun when I released, and I watched the arrow fly right between her ears. She ran about 25 yards or so and stopped and stood looking back at where she had been. She finally bedded down about 40 yards from me, and I watched her until she spooked when my son came to meet me at my stand.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline McGeeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
I missed two different 8pts. and a doe, but shot over the bucks and under the doe. Still hoping to get one or two more before season ends though.

Offline Joe Russell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2007, 10:08:00 AM »
Missed 3, two in the same mourning, still can't
figure out how.

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
I shot over one whitetail doe.
I missed a mulie doe when she turned to face me exactly at release...passed harmlessly beside her. And then to top it all off I had really nice four by four mulie spook just as I released on him.  All in all it was my most successful season ever.  This year I finally got to at least release an arrow at a deer with my longbow and I did manage to collect four cottontails.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
Here was my season of shots.  
1.  Hammered a doe at 24 yards opening day.  Passed on a bunch.  
2.  Missed a turkey at 22 yards in pouring down rain when my bow torqued in my hand.  Killed a tree 10 inches high and to the left!  
3.  30 minutes later killed a turkey at 18 yards and watched it drop.  
4.  Rattled in a 6 pointer and let him walk.  2nd sequence, rattled in a coyote ???? Squeaked him in the final few steps by sucking on the back of my hand and nailed him at 30 yards.
5..Killed a 200+ pound whitetail who forgot to grow a equally monsterous rack at 10 yards.  He spun around 180 degrees and fell as the first shot blew through him  (really)!  When he got to his feet, I placed a second arrow right behind the shoulder.  He stumbled 2 steps toward a very steep ravine and I placed a 3rd arrow into the same spot.  The third arrow through the boiler dropped him in his tracks...this time for good.  Overkill, sure, but I didn't have to drag him out of that holler.
6.  After gun season, skewred a sapling in front of a little broken rack buck.  Got good penetration.  The buck hung around, but I couldn't make myself shoot at him a second time.  I guess my lack of focus on the first shot was due to the fact I was indecisive about shooting at him in the first place.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
Oh yeah,
I forgot my first critter of 2006.
I shot a hog in Texas at 12 yards.  He ran a circle into the brush then ran back out onto the sendero and died 3 feet from where I was standing.  A few bunnies also went to heaven on that trip  :) .

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »
Missed a coyote at 30yards, and a deer at about 20. I won't tell you about the shot with my "nerf" arrow.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline J.Nordwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
I missed 2 does. One was at 14 yards ( didn't pick a spot right over her back) Missed another one at 9 yards. Arrow deflected off a little limb. My father-in-law was behind me when I missed. I gave my compound to him when I got into traditional archery. All he said was that sucks do you want your compound back!! All I could say is no thanks I like having fun!!!!!!!!! Those were the only 2 shot I had all season. Maybe next year I'll connect with something.
FEAR NOTHING

Offline eagle24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »
I've been fortunate this year.  I have taken 3 shots, all at does.  The first shot was right at sundown.  Small doe at 12 yards.  Somehow I managed to shoot low and I think I grazed her on the back of the leg.  Two very small dots of blood on the arrow.  She went about 40 yards, fed a few minutes and bedded down.  When I came down from my stand I shined a flashlight on her and she was still bedded looking at me.  Midday the following day I went back and took a look.  There was no blood in the bed where she had layed.  She was a young doe (50lbs), I think the event confused her and she bedded down next to a deadfall thinking she was hidden.  I feel sure she survived.  The other 2 shots were 18 & 27 yards through both lungs.  Both deer fell within 80 yards.

Offline Stag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
I missed at least two of them... a roe buck -indeed it was a bit far away but I tried- and a wildboar. This one was simply my fault, no more than 20 meters or so, but my shot was a bit high and the boar made a string jump; the result was... I missed!!

Best regards from Spain.

Stag

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
Missed does on both 2005 and 2006 opening days in NJ. I was kind of bummed out because both years my son was with me. In 05 he pats my shoulder and tells me,"It's ok Dad you'll get other chances." In 06 he tells me he thinks that he is bad luck for me because I missed deer on opening days 2 years in a row when he was with me. I explained to my son that he most certainly is not bad luck for me. I just get a bit nervous when it comes time for shooting at deer, but it sure is fun and exciting for both of us. I could not ask for a better hunting partner.
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline BillJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
Hmmm... define "miss".

Do you have to actually launch an arrow?  In that case, I missed a nice spike when I shot right over his back.  Seems to be a constant in this thread.  I've been wracking my brain reliving that shot ever since, and can't make myself believe he ducked.  At least then I would have an excuse.  But I don't think he did.

But the ones that I "missed" most were the two nice 6 points that came in while I was only half-way up the tree in my climber with my bow still lying peacefully on the ground.  Now that's a miss!

Bill
"Whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved."

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2007, 04:40:00 PM »
I missed the dreaded 8yd. shot.

Offline LUCKY MAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »
Missed 2 but my arrows sure flew nice !

ROOTER
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way
you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »
I did (after getting two for two) I shot right over her back - so close it scared the heck out of her. I was sitting on a bucket and she didn't give me a chance to stand so i shot from ther and forgot to hold low for the upward angle. "Hello, Goodbye, I say Goodbye." (Rather a clean miss than a bad or marginal hit though.)
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2007, 06:12:00 PM »
Missed two bucks six pointers. First one A limb got in front of my arrow.Second one I choked.
High on Archery.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
Me...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
missed my buck at 10 yds.  He ran off but came back in 5 minutes, missed him at 20 yds.  He ran off but came back shortly at 35yds.  I nailed him.  Guess he was just to close.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©