3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A hypothetical question  (Read 635 times)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
A hypothetical question
« on: July 25, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
Let's say you owned the most beautiful bow in the world in your eyes, stunning wood, captivation design, a bow you got pleasure from both looking at and shooting. A bow that drew ohhs and ahhs at the range.

Then someone lent you a bow, maybe an ILF with a metal riser, that balanced perfectly, shot faster and smoother than your beauty and you just could not miss with it. You shot this homely beast twice as good as your bow.

Would you switch bows? Cast aside your lovely for this homely, but ultraperforming beast? Answer honestly and no cop out by saying your beautiful bow could never be outshot by anything.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A hypothetical question
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 11:04:00 AM »
Its like leaving your faithful, lovely lady for a well versed call girl.   :knothead:

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »
Been there, done that, bought the Titan.  ;)

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
Why does high performance always mean it is ugly. I shoot an ACS that is almost all black glass with a little osage in the handle. I hardly think its ugly. Bows like a Hoyt Dorado have very pleasing curves despite its lack of exotic woods. With the choices available today you really can have it all.
Now so I don't sound like I'm copping out, I will take the better shooting bow.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
Or said another way, life is too short to shoot an ugly bow!  If I was shooting the beauty well enough to be confident in a hunting situation, I'd NEVER abandon my love.

If I wasn't shooting it well, it would have been past on by then.

Oh, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so no hate mail!   :knothead:
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 11:44:00 AM »
Accuracy is a beautiful thing.

The bow is a means to an end if it is for hunting. (My bows perform, and would look beautiful if they weren't all camo'd up...  :D  )
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline DayTripper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
I swear I was thinking of my beautiful bow while I was with the homely beast!!

Kidding aside. Ditto on Izzy and awbowman.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
Oh Izzy!!!   "[dntthnk]"
It's like leaving a ditzy model for the mother of your children.  
A pretty PITA, or someone who will pull in tandem with you and ensure success?

Guys...   :rolleyes:
Killdeer  
Lucky for me I shoot abysmally with all of them.    :p
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
I look at it like this,
a compound will outshoot any traditional bow. It is a designed machine that is made to make shooting an arrow very easy compared to shooting a trad bow. A lot of people who shoot compounds do exactly as you said. Why would they shoot a longbow when a compound will flat out blow it away?
A high end traditional style ILF engineered riser with complex limb designs will blow away any self bow out there in pure performance.

So it is very relative.

I have shot Olympic style ILF target bows for more years than I can count. I love the ease of accuracy. They are fun. I have camoed them and hunted all over NA with them. Enjoyed every second.
Now, I have some VERY beautiful custom built traditional bows. More than I should. If I feel one doesnt perform well enough to hunt an animal and be ethical,  it is out the door. This has rarely been the case. They all perform very well. I may have to adjust my own form to make them work for me, but I love that.
I have hunted with them all and have been successful with every one.

. Whether the bow is considered ugly, not too concerned. I have a well known custom wood recurve by a VERY well known bowyer and its hideous. Someone ordered it that way. I shot it once and said, gotta have it. I hunt with it a few times every year.

So, my answer is not necessarily. If I had to keep only one,in my life right now, I'd pick my favorite custom exotic wood recurve. Its plenty accurate to take game and win a few 3D shoots. I LIKE it. I appreciate what bowyers can do today with mother natures wood. I like the artistic talent it took to create THIS bow. When I pick it up I smile, whether anyone else is around or not. Is it as accurate as my scoped 30.06 or my best ILF tournament rig in my hands? No.
But since this is hypothetical, i will gladly keep and hunt with all my bows...ILF,longbows, recurves, takedowns, one piece, snakey,knotty selfbows....love 'em all.
David M. Conroy

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
That's why I have so many bows.....I like the pretty ones and the ugly ones. In fact some of my favorites are the not so good looking ones......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
I wonder how much our predecessors in our sport worried about how pretty their bows were!  Just when did we get so wrapped up in cosmetics of the tools of our trade? Oh, and to answer the question, no I would stay with the bows I want to shoot and seek to shoot them as well as I possibly can.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
this is a deep well.

wood v.carbon?
d v. r/d?
spanky new screw-in stainless shaving-sharp broadheads v.
buy-'em dull, be a man zwickeys or grizzlys?

when i 1st wandered in here, i stuck my entirely unneeded nose into a thread on lighted nocks.  didn't like 'em.

got my head handed to me,  and i deserved it.

learned from it.

if it suits you, it suits me.

still wood for me.

for me.

joe

joew

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
This is a great question...!

I shoot my Bob Lee's very well. Sometime coming off the practice course or up from the back yard, I can feel a bit of a bounce / strut in my step... Kinda like:

"I'm a sniper with this bow, I'm going to smoke everything that walks by me this season!"

Well, I was at K-Zoo this January, and shot the new Bob Lee Ultimate... Uh Oh!!! I KNOW that I am more accurate with this set up than my go to Bob Lee Classic which I shoot very very well.

Now, I've decided to buy an Ultimate in the next couple months... Forget about if it looks better or more ugly than my current bow. Can I really set aside old faithful, and allow another place in my heart for a "new bow"?!?!

Not to mention the nestalgia of taking every big game animal with the same bow, the same Bob Lee Workhorse...

It sure would be hard to be walking out my back door with a new bow in hand, heading towards the whitetail woods, just to look over my shoulder to see old faithful staring back at me from the bow rack, with those big sad droopie limbs!

Well I don't have an answer for you right now. I'll have more to report in a couple months. But something tells me from the months of September to January that Bob Lee Ultimate will probably be collecting dust on the bow rack.

I guess I'm just a hopeless romantic!

Offline mellonhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
I'm going through the same thing right now.  I have shot longbows for years and have a lovely Horne Brush bow that I just loved.  I shot a Hoyt Buffalo at the local bow dealer.  I then ended up buying one on the classifieds here.  I shoot it better than my Horne, but I'm still having issues with shooting a bow with a flat black aluminum riser!!!

Toby

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
I like to hit what I am shooting at more than anything else; so if I shot it a lot better, my answer would be YES.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
Do it like I did my last one..just put a sack over it.

Offline flinthead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
Well , since one of my shooting buddys said I suffer from C.H.S. or can't hit s--- the exotic wood bow lets me look at something exciting. Really, I have 9 bows in the rack now-shot a 900 round w/ a Titan and the Commonwealth 3-d w/ a Hummingbird longbow. When one gets boring I just try another style or type bow. Also have one Mathews Drenalin just in case. Thanks, Roy
Maybe it is time to shoot what I have on the rack

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
For those that think ILF are ugly, dress them up!
Metal risers take paint well. Use your imagination! This was a flourescent red riser. Camoed it then painted deer tracks, buffalo skulls, buffalo tracks, turkey tracks, feathers, antlers all over it.  The limbs were all decals of bright colors. Put Bullsnake on the limbs and put antler limb bolts in the stabilizer bushings.

You can do crazy stuff and if it doesnt work out, strip it off and there is your metal riser again. Limb skins too, I have one ILF that has limbskins covering everything but the site window.

Although I'd never paint over my exotic woods, going over alloy is cake!

David M. Conroy

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 01:48:00 PM »
That's a very real and timely question..............personally I would not switch and likely would not even pick up an 'ugly' bow.
David that's a very tasteful job of dressing up that bow!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
I guess I should answer my own question. I was a dyed in the wool classic bow guy since the mid 60s. Never owned a true custom but had some really pretty Howatts, Bears and others.

About a year and a half ago I bought a Hoyt Buffalo which I shot better than any of my classics although cannot be considered a thing of beauty. I've been shooting it ever since. I also have been dabbling in ILF and have a Morrison wood/phenolic handle with Samick BF Extreme limbs. Another great shooting combo but not what I'd consider ugly. These two bows are great shooters and you can catch me shooting one or the other and the pretty wood classics gather dust.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©