3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice for 37# shooting 3 blades?  (Read 651 times)

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice for 37# shooting 3 blades?
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
Use 4 blade Stingers or 4 blade Phatheads. Both are essentially 2 blades with bleeders. I shoot low weight too and the last couple deer I shot didn't go more than 50 yards and I got complete passthru's.

Shooting low weight due to rotator cuff problems, I tried 3 blade Razorcaps once. Once and never again for my 35-42lb shooting.

I hit a doe in the heart at about 15 yards and the arrow only went in about 6"-8". Sure, I got the deer and she didn't go far, but my Stingers and Phatheads would have zipped thru on that same shot.

In my opinion, I'd suggest the counter-intuitive and go heavier with the light weight bows, instead of looking for a 400gr-ish arrow to gain some zip. I'm shooting about 550gr's out of 40lbs and getting super results.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
Don`t know what kind of bow your wife shoots but if it is a fairly efficient one at her lbs it will probably sling an arrow a little better than some of the straight bows I`ve shot.I gotta wonder how many folks have shot a deer with the poundage mentioned?
  Some things to consider and one that would be first for me is how high will she be in a stand if in a stand. If a close downward shot is gonna be the rule I would shoot a narrow 2 blade. If not I would shoot a woodsman in a minute if thats what you want to shoot. Personally I would shoot a BIG two blade like a Simmons Tigershark.
  I would and will hunt with that poundage if thats all I can draw as I "mature" and will be happy and confident. Good Luck.RC

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 06:05:00 PM »
I don't mean to HiJack this thread, however, I just picked up a dozen Wensel Woodsmans, I'm shooting 45lb Static Tip curve, with perfectly tuned arrow and razor sharp, am I o.k. with these?

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 06:20:00 PM »
Yes.RC

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
I have some experiance with 42lbs . I used abowyer brown bears with awsome results. 6 deer and 4 hogs with the same head.  max recovery was 32 steps.  two blades have less tramua on the animal than 3 blades. That said, I get more blood on the ground with 3 blades or wide (2") 2 blades. but out of 50lb bow.

Tracey Dunn shoots in the high 30lbs I think and she has had great results with the brown bear. check out the zipper website.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Fish Finder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 06:46:00 PM »
RC

Black Widow PSA 37# draw 15 feet high in tree stand max distance 10 yards.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
For what it's worth, Owen Jeffery killed a lot of deer and pigs shooting a 38# recurve and a 160g snuffer.....at his age(I think 80 then)  that was all he could pull.

Sharp steel + straight flying arrow + lungs = meat!
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »
2 blade. 3 has no more killing capability than 2 blades. Sharp and hit the spot. Urban, mountain, etc.   3 does not cure a bad shot in any way.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
I'd say whatever head you settle on, get a front loaded Easton Axis shaft to put in on (they make a 600 size for light bows).  Skinny shafts and high FOC will help as much as a an narrow 2 or 3 blade head. Get it flying perfectly straight whatever it is.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
Ever considered 4 blade stingers? Bleeders are only 3/4" wide total.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Fish Finder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Overspined:
 3 does not cure a bad shot in any way.
her shot placement is not in question here I don't know why people keep bringing that up. Its about the efficiency between the heads.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
I agree use a 2 blade and preferably a single bevel like the grizzly. It will penetrate further than any 3 blade and causes a larger entrance and exit hole than a standard 2 blade.
James Kerr

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
When I started out I had no clue what I was doing. I was drawing a 45@28" to about 26". I was shooting a shaft that was over spined by about 25# and had questionably sharp woodsman on the end. Looking back at it my shooting wasen't that great either. At the time I thought I had things figured out.

My first week out I took 2 deer with that setup. I got them in close and the woodsmans did their job. No pass throughs(hit bone on other side) but good blood on both. She should be fine with either in my opinion. I do like the tips and solid blades on the elites better though.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
I have read many threads on this same topic.  My casual observation is there are strong opinions on this and people are successful with all kinds of broadheads.

Do your research, draw your conclusion, and shoot what you have the most confidence in doing the job.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2012, 07:28:00 PM »
why not slowly build her up in weight so penetration   isnt that big of a question even at 50# you can get a sharp 3 blade to totally pass through it just requires some work to build up in weight quickly
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline cody94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
go 2 blade for less poundage bows, its lesser in width all around, unlike a 3 blade. an it dont take as much energy as a 3 blade does.
OH BOY IS THIS GREAT!

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
My Wife also shoots 37# but 37#@29" her (power stroke) can make a big difference also.

Full length shaft in this pic, She's set-up with 125gr Muzzy Phanton 4 blades for this deer season.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
Don't
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline ericmerg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
^ i seriously agree with walt it just seems unethical too hunt with such a light bow/ its not even a legal weight in some states ill be amazed if this even works as bowhunters people already give us a bad name hunting with a bairly legal bows doesnt make anything seem better just because its possible to kill at that weight doesnt mean it should be done

"First let me be understood. There seems to be no question that a 50 pound bow will kill deer and even larger game quite successfully. However, we also know that a 22 rifle will kill big game hut is barred by law in most states because it is not considered adequate- not enough margin of safety. Why then should we be satisfied with minimum killing power when we can quite easily have better?"-Tom Imler, Jr.
any animal you see posted that i say i personally harvested was eaten

" if you have to question if your bow will work you dont have enough bow"

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
I think sending a 37# bow to RC for a year would change some minds as far as what they are capable of.

If my wife could only draw 37# I would'nt think twice about it for whitetails. My post earlier was with a an old Darton ranger. I couldn't imagine what a 37# Zipper would do. I think everyone should strive to shoot a higher weight if capable but if I could only draw that weight tomorrow I'm going to hunt and kill.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©