3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Early season pants for Colorado?  (Read 723 times)

Offline Sticks2117

• Trad Bowhunter
Early season pants for Colorado?
« on: July 26, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
I am down to my last planning days and wondering if I should invest in a pair of wool pants for this trip I have 2 pairs of polyester pants I am taking but wondering if I might fair better with wool. I am backpacking so weight must be a consideration? This is a question?   :confused:
Big Jims Thunderchild 53# @ 26"
Zbow Z58 TD hunter 55# @ 27" (RIP)
Ferguson Patriot by Bear 55#@28
Ferguson Redhawk 66" 60# @ 28
GN Critter Gitter 60#@28
LM North American Hunting Club
Wisconsin Bowhunters Member
NRA Member

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Early season pants for Colorado?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »
I think wool is going to be pretty warm this time of year,even up there. We know people up there and used to go up there every year about this time.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
I am currently testing, and may take along, a pair of First Lite Merino wool pants.  They are very lightweight (they do not feel like wool).  So far I like them.  They are lighweight, durable (so far) and the only downside i have is that they are a little more itchy than cotton.

Might be something to investigate??

Offline amazonjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »
Rather than wool I would carry some lite weight fleece, and a pair of cabelas legacy series which was on sale with wind sheer, lite but warm, could wear a real lite weight cotton, under these and take them off if it got to warm, some used dress wool pants. I would take some promos silver teac soap to wash with. If I could I would take a pair of pads for my knees in case I had to crawl, oe the pants with the foam padding in the knees. Over all I would stay away from cotton, if it's hot you will sweat like crazy and cotton doesn't dry well. I would use cabelas silver tec socks they keep your feet from stinking and bacteria growth from being wet. I would use some kind of silver tec undergarments easy to wash and drys quickly.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
I'm using the Kanab pant from first lite, you can tget the 2011 model fo $80 right now in moss oak infinity or real tree max1. Light and cool in warm weather.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline donalcorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
I like my wool, even for early in the season.when backpacking you will not need rain pants or gators.down side is wools do take up room in your pack. go with as light of wool as you can. If you itch running tights might solve this problem. Good luck have a great time.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 10:10:00 AM »
I used to wear the Army surplus dress trousers. They are wool, but very light and breathable. Whatever you do, don't wear jeans, because the cotton wicks water and you will be cold and wet for a long time if it rains.

if you're going high, the light wool won't be a problem.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Sticks2117

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
I ordered some of the Kanab pants thanks for the info guys I'll let ya know how it goes.

Sticks
Big Jims Thunderchild 53# @ 26"
Zbow Z58 TD hunter 55# @ 27" (RIP)
Ferguson Patriot by Bear 55#@28
Ferguson Redhawk 66" 60# @ 28
GN Critter Gitter 60#@28
LM North American Hunting Club
Wisconsin Bowhunters Member
NRA Member

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
I agree with Scattershot EXCEPT for when its hot. Last time I hunted Durango it was 80-90 degrees all week even at 10,000 feet. Which meant I had to hike alot to find the elk. Hot weather is actually a good time for cotton. It absorbs sweat like Scattershot said and keeps your skin moist and cooler.
BUT, if it gets cool at night, get it off your skin. I'd take a pair if it might be hot.

Kanab pant above is something I'll have to take a look at, I havent tried many of the new warm tech clothing yet. I usually hunt cold with wool.
David M. Conroy

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »
I don't know if the perfect one pair of pants exists. For early season they would be lightweight, stretchy so you can move easily, and would wick perspiration away from your body without staying damp. They would also be a bit weather resistant. Maybe SITKA or KUIU? Pricey, though. I would go cotton and carry some lightweight rain gear.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
After hunting in the mountains for twenty five years you could not pay me to wear another pair of wool pants.  Get yourself a pair of Sitka Ascent or Mountain pants.  They move with you as you climb not fight you with every step.  Add a pair of merino base layer bottoms and you are set for a large temperature range.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
Steve O is dead on.  I wear poly and have some merino wool long underwear for cold moments/sleeping.  I've never thought I needed more.  

I don't know how you could beat a pair of these;

http://www.sitkagear.com/products/open-country/pants/light-weight-pants/ascent-pant/

I just wished they came in something other then camo.  the KUIU do...

http://shop.kuiu.com/attack-pant-p12.aspx
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 12:18:00 PM »
Cant beat advice from seasoned vets like about. Merino as a base is definitely fantastic.
What about hot weather? Are Sitka a good choice?
David M. Conroy

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 12:28:00 PM »
Hot is realative.  Even when its hot out up there, its not more then 70.  Yeah, the sitka and KUIU both are fine in hot weather.  In fact, the sitka has an option to be rolled up an fastened if your scorching.

The KUIU to me is the ultimate hunting pant.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
when are you going ?   Early season Colorado is HOT during the day, especially at elevation.  I would never wear wool pants or shirt during the first three weeks of the season.  

I personally would wear a light, loose fitting pair of cotton 6 pocket pants.  I would wear short or long sleeve cotton tops and also have the option of long john top, and a wool vest top layer.  Both of these can be carried and taken off.  

At night, it chills right on down and I have had the water bucket freeze, but during the day,  hot.

I would also have some contingency for rain.  A light parka works fairly well for me and my bow/arrows.
ChuckC

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »
I have two or three different weights of fleece depending on the weather.  I do have merino long johns if it gets cold enough but that is rare.  I'd love to wear my wipcord merino wool pants but it is just too hot in the midday and afternoon.  Many times I will hike up a thousand ft. in elevation in my shorts or even underwear and then put on whatever pants when I get up top (camp is at 9000 ft.)
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 02:13:00 PM »
In colorado, especially the high country one never knows. Be prepared for the hottest weather one minute and a possible early season blizzard the next.
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
Microtex with wool as backup
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steve O

After hunting in the mountains for twenty five years you could not pay me to wear another pair of wool pants. Get yourself a pair of Sitka Ascent or Mountain pants. They move with you as you climb not fight you with every step. Add a pair of merino base layer bottoms and you are set for a large temperature range.

:thumbsup:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
Anyone try moleskin?
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."