3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Early season pants for Colorado?  (Read 724 times)

Offline Trout Guide

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Early season pants for Colorado?
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
What Steve O said is right on.
I like a lightweight pant that dries fast such as Cabelas Microtex, Sitka, Kuiu, or First Lite Kanab. Layer those with some good polypro or merino base layer and your good to go.
When cotton gets wet and the temp drops quick you start shivering and your in a predicament pretty quick.
I pretty much wore out my microtex so just got a pair of Kanabs in ASAT and it looks like they will be perfect for Sept.
John 3:16

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
WOW!!  I just looked at those first lite Kanab pants.  I had never seen them before (I know, I live in a cave).  I LOVE them, though I've never owned a pair.  they have a suspender, and buttons to pull them up.

Has anybody worn them?  do they have durability issues?

Geez, those are great lookin pant.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 04:02:00 PM »
Steve O hit the nail on the head.  I've used the Sitka Ascent pants with a light weight base layer to hunt Colorado in tempratures from the low 80s down to the mid 20s comfortably.

Offline DeCurry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by elkbreath:
WOW!!  I just looked at those first lite Kanab pants.  I had never seen them before (I know, I live in a cave).  I LOVE them, though I've never owned a pair.  they have a suspender, and buttons to pull them up.

Has anybody worn them?  do they have durability issues?

Geez, those are great lookin pant.
Just a word of caution: Order at least 1 size larger than normal and I would personally recommend 2 sizes.

I bought an XL pair of these that still had the tag on them off a guy (they would be the 2010 or 2011 model, I got them last fall).  The website says they run a little small, and I normally wear a L in military BDUs (which these pants are kind of / sort of cut like), so I thought XL would be just right.  I was wrong.  They fit, but they were tight in the thighs and waist.  So, again, I'd get at least 1 size larger, but from my personal experience, I need an XXL rather than a L.

Great pants though and they do come w/ suspenders (or you can wear a belt).  The material is merino wool, but it is fairly thin; however, it is a RipStop material (has a grid-like texture to it).
"I was raised on wolves milk, though it seems I sleep like a lamb."

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 06:01:00 PM »
5.11 shorts.

joe

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
If early season you mean the first 2-3 weeks of September no way on wool.  Get some kind of modern, quick dry pants like others have suggested.  I use a pair of Sika pants.  I wasted a bunch of money on clothing before my first elk hunt.  Really all you need is some light quick dry clothes that BREATH.  Sure is cold in the morning but that's when yo u are hiking up hill and sweating like a pig.  Once the sun comes up it is nice.  I would suggest a short and long sleeve, loose fit, under amour type shirts, lightweight pants, light jacket, and some light weight rain gear.  Great socks and hiking boots.  No cotton.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
No question, the new high tech pants are great.  But I spent plenty of years hunting the mountains with cotton or whatever I had.  And although I would have appreciated the good stuff, I was there, and did just fine.  

Sometimes we get too carried away with what gear is needed to hunt effectively.  If you can afford the best, no doubt about it - buy it and enjoy.  But if you are starting out sometimes you make do with what you have and make these best of it.  You can have a great time on an out of state trip regardless.  

Sometimes people starting out on a first western adventure can get overwhelmed with all the gear that is needed to make it happen.  

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate good quality gear and have eventually accumulated more than my fair share.  I'm just saying - don't think that if you can't afford to buy the best of everything right away that it is not worth going.  Upgrade your gear as you go, but in the meantime - JUST GO!  

As for me, I think this is the year I will finally break down and give either Sitka or KUIU a try.  If it's as good as reported I'll probably wonder why I was so tight  with my money before!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by SCATTERSHOT:
I used to wear the Army surplus dress trousers. They are wool, but very light and breathable...
Ditto. You need to have something for when it gets wet/cold along with a light evap pants or stretch fleece- something that can handle the heat.

I have hunted for a week in the heat and then its wet and cold right in the middle of the afternoon hunt- so don't think it can't happen or won't- it can and will and I feel sorry for those who don't have something that is warmer.

If weight is an issue take a thin pair of long thermal bottoms and add them under your light hot pants not much weight penalty and if it goes cold some afternoon just take them out and put them on under your pants, you're set...
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 12:23:00 AM »
I wear cotton alot during the CO season but not if backpacking.  You need something that dries easily in a backpack tent.  I think your poly pants with merino wool base layers (if it gets chilly) would be just fine.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
DeCurry,

If you watch the video on the site he adresses those concerns.  He even acknowledges that they had a problem.  He said in 2012 the pants will be true to size, if not "slightly" large.  They have changed manufacturers and 'say' they got it right this time.  Reviewers online generally seem to agree.  

We'll see!
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline BowsnLabs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 10:08:00 AM »
For early season CO backpack hunts at above 10,000'...we have been using Cabelas Microtex for about 10 yrs now and it has performed perfectly.  Get the Outfitter camo pattern if you're hunting high and pair this with either a pair of Smartwool Microweight or your other favorite lightweight base layer.

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
Personally I don't think you can go wrong with the Kanab or Microtex. I've used both in Co in Sept and they worked great. Microtex will cut the wind much better than the Kanabs though. If you cover a lot of ground, the Kanabs may be a little better for you. They're thin and lightweight and packed easily.
Acadian Woods TD Recurve 58 @ 28
Acadian Woods Recurve 55 @ 28
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 60 @ 27
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 47 @ 28
Martin Hunter Recurve 50 @ 28

Offline JJB2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »
I'm taking one pair of Sitka 90% pants and a pair of the kanab pants along with some merino base layers.  So far I'm really liking the first lite pants.
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
DeCurry,

You caught my attention with your comments. What size guy are you? I wondered how their chart related to the real world.  If it's not insulting to ask, what's the height, weight, and waist size of a guy who found the XL a bit tight in the waist and thighs?  

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to answer here... or ignore the question completely if you'd rather!!!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
Like kadbow I wear a lot of cotton BDUs early season with a thin polypro underneath if doing day hunts from a base camp, if backpacking go with light weight and wicking like wool myself.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
I like nylon "fishing" pants that zip off into shorts.  Carry a pair of cabelas polartec ecwcs longunderwear if it gets cold...

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
Lots of good suggestions here, but what about the noise?
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
I'm with Whip.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by SCATTERSHOT:
Lots of good suggestions here, but what about the noise?
My Sitka Ascent pants are quiet as any wool I have worn.  Gray Wolf, Filson, Pendelton, Woolrich, Cabelas, various army surplus...German, Swedish, can't remember others.

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2012, 12:15:00 AM »
After hunting in the mountains for twenty five years you could not pay me to wear another pair of wool pants. Get yourself a pair of Sitka Ascent or Mountain pants. They move with you as you climb not fight you with every step. Add a pair of merino base layer bottoms and you are set for a large temperature range.

I agree 110% and have both. IMO, the KUIU Attack pants are a much better pant not to mention cheaper.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©