3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buying gear for young kids...question to Moms and Dads  (Read 335 times)

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
Buying gear for young kids...question to Moms and Dads
« on: July 27, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
As I'm healing up, I'm doing more and more. Skinned a few bows, and beginning leatherwork.
Here's a tough question:
How much would you spend on a quiver for your young one? Anywhere from 2 to 16 years old?
Reason I'm asking is I used to make fur and leather quivers, and offered a lot for kids. Skunks, fishercats, small beavers, etc. I dont do the kids stuff for profit, but I have to cover my expenses in pelts and materials.
I found sometimes they would sit, with 100 people looking and checking 'em out....but few would buy. Even at 50 dollars, which would barely cover a pelt at the time. Some people would come over and buy one for every kid.
This was 15 years ago.
So nowadays, with the econamy the way it is..how much can we die hard tradgangers afford to spend on luxury items for our young ones...if any? Easier for me, I make them and can trade/barter for material if i dont have it which is why I'm asking. We all want cool things for our kids, but a kid grows out of stuff soooo quick!

Trying to see what pelts I can buy and what grade to fit the working familys budget. I dont charge any labor for kids stuff, just expenses so I dont go below water! PM if you prefer.
Thanks everyone!
David M. Conroy

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buying gear for young kids...question to Moms and Dads
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »
My boy is only 3 1/2 so I would not spend much. But when he gets older and if he is more serious into archery, I will do jwhat I can to ensure success for my children ranging from Tudors if needed , to private pitching lessons, archery lessons and gear related to said items. Not to spoil my kid, but to make sure they have what they need to succeed. If a nice quiver helps in the confidence level, then I'll get it.
I was not afforded these opportunitys so I will go to the ends of the earth to set my children up for success
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
More specifically it could not be outlandish , but a fair price for the item offered. Sorry I don't have a monetary value for you. But thank you fe keeping kids in your thoughts.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »
I am willing to pay a little more for something adjustable like a quiver versus an item they grow out of in a year or two. I am thinking $60-75 for a nice pelt made quiver.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »
TTT, got to be more input out there!
David M. Conroy

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 09:47:00 PM »
I'm a grandparent and a father in-law and a very cool uncle so I don't mind buying quality gear for the little ones because they have to shoot with me since their parents are not into archery. (the son in-law shoots on his own). I keep a nice bow(s) and quiver for whoever shows up for some foam killing.

kids really like pelt quivers

under $100 is not unreasonable especially considering they will own it when they are planting me at about 6' and passing it on to their kids

Offline tking308

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 02:38:00 AM »
I have two boys, ages 16 & 8.  Both have bows but only the 8 year old shoots regularly.  Like you said, kids outgrow/forget about/lose interest very quickly.  I'd be hesitant to spend $100 on the older son for something like this.  The youngest, if it were adjustable (as in he could use it for several years) I'd probably do it for a special occasion.  That being said, I'd jump on one in the $30-$40 range made with say rabbit pelts (less expensive) and maybe a lesser quality leather.  Not cheap but not top of the line either.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 07:12:00 AM »
I spent 60 on my youngest, he was 6, but there are a lot of "cheap" ones for 30 or so. If he could use it for 10 years maybe 80 or so

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 07:16:00 AM »
I know it's hard to build a custom anything and the time one puts into something is usally just a labor of love for his/her own enjoyment but when you are trying to cover material costs that is usally all one can get...You make a product and look at the time it takes and how much it cost you to make it and then a profit should be made to cover more materials for future goods...Our problem in todays econonmy is we have just went and bought things we didn't have as kids cause you want your own kids to have what you didn't and even mine sometimes are pampered...If a child really wants a quiver, armguard,bow and arrows we should make them strive to earn it or really make these items a birthday gift,graduation gift,Christmas gift etc...I didn't get things when I was a kid cause I had 5 other brothers and a sister and times were hard but I do remember when I saw something I really wanted I would ask for it at Christmas and Mom & Dad would try to make it possible but clothing came first...I don't see a reason why a $40.00 basic quiver couldn't sell but todays economy has really made it hard on everyone...When you can buy  bulk materials at a cheap price then you start to make a profit but I myself have gotten string material,strike plates,etc. as Christmas/ birthday gifts and just make strings as gifts for others with no cost...Honestly my brother used to make custom wood products with Oak,cherry and high end materials and try and sell them at craft shows and he calculated the time he spent on it,the cost of materials and cost to set up at a booth and he lost money but it was his hobby he loved to do...Women would ask if he could build it with pine and he would but it still took him the same amount of time to set up equipment etc...Now are you doing this to make a little extra money or a labor of love? I myself either won't buy an item cause it costs too much or I don't like the craftmanship and may not have the extra money...I also remember the longer I had to wait for an item I wanted the more I appreciated it but if it was bought with no waiting period I lost the interest very quickly....If you can make whatever as simple as possible for a kid without a lot of fancy work you might sell it quicker cause you don't have as much time in it possibly...If you put more time and it doesn't sell and not that it isn't worth the price then don't make it...If you were a kid and came across a webpage and saw a quiver for say $125.00 and one not as fancy for $35.00 what would you do? Maybe you could make 3 different models/price range like a basic leather for $35.00, a more fancier for$45.00 and then a deluxe model for $75.00...See which one sells quicker and if not then maybe there's no demand for them?

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 08:20:00 AM »
Some general observations:

1.  Fur quivers are absolutely beautiful, but they are more novel than practical.  They are HOT in the summer, which is when most recreational shooting takes place.  Only a very small percentage of the general adult shooting population use a fur quiver on a regular basis.  Kids think fur is amazing, but it is their parents who will be buying...

2.  Kids grow like crazy.  Even though the straps are adjustable, the body is not (hmmm?)  and as their arrows get longer they look ridiculous and fall out of those small quivers.

3.  $25-$40 wold be the range I would offer basic models in, but I would look at catalog pricing for archery supply companies to see whatt hey are getting.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
I'm just looking to see what my choices will be depending on what the average family can afford.
If it 50-75, I can make a few deals and turn out some decent stuff. If its 25-40, it will be more in the rabbit fur catagory.
Leather is not an issue, simple leather quivers are easy and I've made tons of them.
Just wondering about the "special" items for a gift such as a "skunk" or "beaver" backquiver.
David M. Conroy

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
I'd be relucant to spend more  than 40 or 50 bucks on a quiver for my son.  Absolutly needs an adjustable strap. Not likely to buy a full pelt quiver.   What about some leather quivers or such the the rim circled in fur or other fur added touches.  You get to use up odd peices of fur, kid gets a unique quiver with a little bit of cool factor, parent doesn't have to spend too much.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
I have seen some amazingly beautiful and high quality kids gear!  But since you asked...

We have four kids.  Their passion for archery comes and goes - aside from the real little one who for two summers so far can't get enough.

We don't spend much.  They have bows they know will cycle around and no quivers they call their own.  

I am thinking of doing a rainy day or winter project of making (with them - as a joint DIY) PVC tube quivers with fabric of their choosing glued on and adjustable straps.  I bet they would love making their own gear.

If a child gets to 14-16 and really loves archery then I could see a special birthday gift...But until then there won't be any pelt quivers or similar items for our kids..  I have to admit they look really neat and the kids would love them.  But how many toys do they "love" for a moment?  

They like archery because of the action not the gear.  They love to launch arrows.  That's it.  

I will admit though they do have their own Kids Stix arrows for the most part.  Better arrows that are highly visible keep them engaged.  Poor flying arrows aggravate them just like they do us
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
My household income is slightly above average(according to what I read on the subject)...that said we save money most everywhere we can by necessity.

Someone already mentioned a fur quiver is more of a novelty than a necessity, and even though a skunk, bobcat, or other fur quiver would be GREAT to have, even 75 bucks would be difficult to spend on such an item. (for us)

My eleven yr old daughter has an inexpensive side quiver I recently adapted into a back quiver after she saw the movie "Brave"...I noticed she has returned it into a side quiver and is using it like that...she said it makes a "hot spot" when she wears it on her back.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
Some dressed up simple suede quivers with rabbit fur trim would provide what you're looking for. Especially the younger shooters. Say $20-35 range. But have one or two nicer quivers for those wanting a little more. I have 4 nephews, 4 nieces, and a son-in-law. I have bought bows for one niece and 3 nephews and most recently my son-in-law. My daughters are grown and shoot some, so they each have bows. If someone offered an affordable quiver in the above range I might buy one for any one of my relatives. So you can see how an affordable quiver might get bought before a more expensive nicer one might.

I have made two back quivers to be given away. One from suede and one from upholstery leather. I understand your passion as I have it too, but in today's economy in order to do more you have to pinch pennies.

Antique shops an thrift stores are great places to find old mink and fox fur pieces. Old leather coats and belts are a possible leather source.I buy my leather from a local supplier's scrap boxes at $4 a pound.

Scrap Suede quiver

Scrap Upholstery quiver

I applaud you for your goals!!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »
Input is great so far.
 I'm all set on the leather/fur trimmed stuff. I make plenty of that and all leather too,always have. I sell plenty of kids quivers in that range. They are easy to buy materials for.
 I'm not trying to find a market and fit a product into it,

This is PURE would you buy an out of the ordinary fur quiver and how much is your cap.

The pelt quivers are what I'm asking about, which, if any, I should buy and make up . So far the general answer seems to be they are just too expensive, which is understandable.

I just dont want to go, for example, buy 10 small foxes to get a quantity break on price and then sit on them for ten years. They usually went fairly quick years ago, but I havent messed around with todays economy lately on specialty gear.
I may just make an ad saying I can make a custom upon request for children with some pics of past quivers. Unfortunately that means waiting for me to find a pelt, etc etc.But we Trad people dont usually mind waiting!

Thanks so far everyone, any more input would be great too!
  :thumbsup:
David M. Conroy

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by YORNOC:

This is PURE would you buy an out of the ordinary fur quiver and how much is your cap.

:thumbsup:  
In a nutshell, No. If I did, the price would have to be such that you'd be losing money. They just aren't my thing. And I'm kinda the guy your targeting, in a way. I'll buy something for youngsters in a heartbeat, but as said, it could be their "toy of the moment" and they'll soon move on to something else. If one of my nieces or nephews specifically asked for one, and they had set a pattern of archery enjoyment, then maybe...

While the fur pelt quivers are nice and have the "Oooooo" factor, they just aren't practical from my standpoint.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
While the fur pelt quivers are nice and have the "Oooooo" factor, they just aren't practical from my standpoint

Most people agree so far. Including non tradgangers.
David M. Conroy

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
I found when my son was younger he wanted what Dad had.  If archery was a team thing they'd want what their friends have, like very expensive baseball bats!
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
It took me about 30 minutes to throw together a quiver for the 7 year old grandson of a friend 4 weeks ago. Granddad asked me to take the youngster with me, because he had other business. I then remembered that granddad always carried his arrows. Not me, I am not an arrow carrier. I used some camo cloth, some fleece cloth, sewed it into a 21" long tube. Flipped it around and attached everything to a bamboo arrow shaft. Used matching old web belt, cut buckle off and put as strap on the bamboo rod. The little guy loves this quiver and in the stick and limbs camo it looks very cool. Fleece dries quick, poly cotton camo cloth dries quick if it gets wet from rain or (more common here) sweat. I keep leather items for gloves/tabs and for an armguard. Pelts are beautiful,but too warm and not properly stored like to draw mold around here. I guess material was about $8-10 with the belt included.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©