3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sleeping bag options?  (Read 750 times)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Sleeping bag options?
« on: July 28, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
After some of the recent elk threads I have the fever more than ever. I have finally built up enough vacation at work and my wife has given me the ok for next September. I've been wanting this for years!

I'm going to slowly put together the gear I need and I have a bunch of it already. My question is what are my sleeping bag options in the under $200 dollar range? After using the search option most mentioned are $400+. If these are my best bet I will spend the next year trying to find used within my budget.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Machino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sleeping bag options?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
You get what you pay for.  I had used military surplus bags for ever.  They were warm enough.  Then I went to light cheap bags.  I froze my *** off.  Since I found myself getting further from the truck and consequently colder, I purchased a Mountain Hardware Phantom 15.  Best bag I ever had.  LIGHT and WARM.  Seems a lot off people overlook this part off their gear system.

Quick advice
Down: Light, Warm, doesn't do well wet.
Poly fill: Slightly heavier, stays warm when wet.

If you plan on sleeping in a tent an not get your bag soaked go with the down.

Down fill ratings from 400-600 are ok.  600-700 are good 750+ is best.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
A North Face Cat's Meow has been around the backpacking world forever.  REI has them under your budget. I've used one in Colorado in September elk hunting many times.  If you are a really large wide guy and a side sleeper it might be snug but it's still a good bag.

Western Mountaineering is a top shelf bag but not under $200 and probably not needed in Sept. if you have merino base layer to sleep in.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
I would look at Western Mountaineering's Alpinlite.It weighs 1 lb 15 oz and is rated down to 20 degrees.WM doesn't exaggerate their ratings.It is also a fairly roomy mummy so you still are warm but don't feel confined like slimmer mummies.

A full length zipper is very important in case of warmer nights.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
If you can find a Western Mountaineering under budget, that's never a bad choice.  Might also be able to find a Montbell in your price range.

If all else fails get a Kelty Cosmic Down 20 degree bag.  They run about a $100 bucks, and is way more bag then the price tag would suggest.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
You have lots of options in that price range with a roomy Big Agnes bag.  Add one of their insulated air core pads in the sleeve in the bottom and you will sleep more comfortable than your bed at home.  The bonus is you do not slide off your pad either.

Offline DayTripper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 08:04:00 PM »
Check out the free listing site in your area that rhyme with "gregl _ _t". I bought mine from there and save couple of hundred bucks.

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
Unless your going to bivy hunt for several days you don't need a super light,high dollar, minus 10 degree 300 dollar sleeping bag.
Even then you probably don't.
You can get a really good bag for 200 bucks or less.
Most elk hunting in September the temps are very seldom going to get below freezing at night.

John

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Outwest:
Unless your going to bivy hunt for several days you don't need a super light,high dollar, minus 10 degree 300 dollar sleeping bag.
Even then you probably don't.
You can get a really good bag for 200 bucks or less.
Most elk hunting in September the temps are very seldom going to get below freezing at night.

John
X2
If it does get a little chilly, I'll sleep in my light merino wool longjohns. I guess they are called "base layers" these days.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline ScouterMike

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Outdoors Den
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 08:56:00 PM »
Consider a Wiggys sleeping bag (wiggys.com). Great value and they work.
Rom 1:20

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »
Search a mountaineering stores items, most can tell you the difference. like REI for eg.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »
I have a Kelty Clear Creek 20 degree bag that has kept me warm on 6 elk hunts in all kinds of weather.  It's not super light but it was under $100.  You don't have to spend a fortune on gear.  If you have the jack, I got no problem with you spending it but if you don't have the money, don't let it keep you from doing stuff.  Just get tougher.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
I've got to say the best bang for the buck out there is a Marmot Sawtooth. They are down bags, rated at 15 degrees, and retail for $220 or less. I've had mine and its been well used for about 5 years. If this doesnt fit your needs, definitely consider a down bag either way. Marmot offers excellent bags for the money in my experience.
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline JLeMieux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 12:28:00 AM »
If you are not packing in, you should check out the Eureka Kaycee. It is well within your price range and quite warm. It's a 0 degree bag that weighs just over 4 1/2lbs. I used one in Colorado last year and the temps got to freezing or below a couple nights. Never got cold and plenty of room. Probably not ideal for packing in but not impossible. If you're truck camping though, it should work quite well.
Acadian Woods TD Recurve 58 @ 28
Acadian Woods Recurve 55 @ 28
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 60 @ 27
Acadian Woods Tree Stick 47 @ 28
Martin Hunter Recurve 50 @ 28

Offline mcinore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 12:28:00 AM »
I think it will depend on if you plan on hiking in any kind of distance. You will pay more for the lighter stuff. If weight is not a big deal then there are lots of options for you. For me a 15 degree bag will do you for most of your September hunts.

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 01:34:00 AM »
What all these guys are saying. I love down. I have a almost 20 year old north face cats meow. 20 degree down bag. Most nights I have had to open it up to cool off even when I got snowed on. Depends on how warm natured you are too. Anyway... Get a good brand 15-20 degree bag and you'll be happy. If its down it'll be lighter, pack smaller, and be warmer. Just don't get it wet...
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 02:32:00 AM »
A bivy bag makes a big difference with a lesser bag.  Adds a good deal of warmth and keeps your bag dry.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Sambar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 03:20:00 AM »
mate another option is to spend  a bit of money on a exped down mat 9 witch will let u sleep on snow down to like minus 36 f and you can get away with a very light weight sleeping bag for cheap and save on space. this is what i do and i use the exped mat in my hammock with great success as well in very cold weathe. Its super comfortable being and inflatable mat plus it packs down to nothing, heaps smaller than a self inflating mat.
Those who hunt miss... those who don't hunt miss far more.
Time spent without bow or rod in hand is time forever wasted.

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 06:42:00 AM »
My only experience is with down. It is like wool clothing, cant be beat. Have two bags by Western Mountaineering, one 3 season bag and one for winter. Buy the best you can afford. Mine are 20 years old, still work great, and will probably see me out.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline donalcorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 07:39:00 AM »
I've had a Big Agnes now going on three.Hands down the best bag I've ever had. Light and very rummy,You do need one of their pads but it's worth the money. Don't skimp in this area of your trip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©