3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sleeping bag options?  (Read 751 times)

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sleeping bag options?
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 08:02:00 AM »
Thanks guys I'm taking notes. I'm no stranger to winter time camping but a weekend trip in Indiana let's you get by with a bunch more weight.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline ScouterMike

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Outdoors Den
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
Just a note as already mentioned, a down bag is great unless it gets wet then it is useless. In the back country it is like cotton clothing, it can get you killed and is just not worth the 1/2 pound weight savings if you are way out there expecting wet conditions. The good synthetic fill bags are better overall performers for serious back country adventures.
Rom 1:20

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
My $.02............. While down is the gold standard for sleeping bags, it does have one drawback.  That is, when it is compressed, like under your body, it has almost no insulation value.  A real good pad will help but you may still be cold on the bottom.

I have had several down bags over the years and the best one is the one I have now - it's a Cabelas bag and is down filled on the top only....on the bottom is Holofil.  Makes for a much more comfortable night's sleep.

The other tip and one I learned from my Grandpa back in the 60's is put a layer or two of regular newspaper under your bag, it really keeps the dampness/cold out.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Oregon Okie:
What all these guys are saying. I love down. I have a almost 20 year old north face cats meow. 20 degree down bag. lighter, pack smaller, and be warmer. Just don't get it wet...
Oregon Okie, Unless they used to be down and have changed them, the Cat's Meow I owned about 15 years ago and the current specs show these bags have a synthetic fill, not down.

Just an FYI.    :)
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline 1flyfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
I just received a copy of my Campmor catalog and there are Northface bags that are in your price range,I have had one of the Catface bags for years that has treated me well for years in all types of conditions,chech them out on line. Lou
JD Berry Morningstar
Howard Hill Tembo
McBroom ASL
"Keep em flying straight"

Offline 1flyfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 09:57:00 AM »
Sorry for the last post I ment to say a Cats Meow bag like the other posts. Lou
JD Berry Morningstar
Howard Hill Tembo
McBroom ASL
"Keep em flying straight"

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
1flyfish,you can edit a post by clicking on the tablet/pencil icon above it.

Sambar's point about the sleeping pad is a good one.Most pads will insulate well enough for that time of year but the type he is talking about will add a lot of comfort to your sleep and you will need all the rest you can get.It can be used later for colder camping if you need it.A few years ago I got one of the Big Agnes air core pads and that is the most comfortable I've slept on the ground.It weighs a few ounces more than my old pads but to get a good sleep,it is well worth it.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
If you want a good down bag but don't have the budget for it, I would look hard at used stuff.  

Search in Bloomington or some other college area.   I live in a college town and it amazes me what some kids sell for beer money.   Often they didn't buy it (insert parents) so selling cheap is no skin off their back.  

Also if you aren't going to elk hunt regularly, you can turn around and sell it again.  

The internet is like a modern super garage sale.  Just a thought.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 06:15:00 PM »
I highly recommend the Blue Kazoo by North Face.  It's a down bag rated for 15 degree weather.  It's a little over your $200.00 guideline ($289.00)  in CAMPMOR, but it's a great bag for back packing into elk country.

I also take a 100% silk mummy liner made by Cocoon.  It takes up almost zero space, is comfortable and can add almost 10 degrees of comfort to any bag.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »
The only issue I have with down is the possibilty of it getting wet. In that case, you have potentially a very serious problem. I love down and generally use it when not in a wilderness setting. I would suggest looking at some the light synthetics that retain warming ability if they get wet.
Sam

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »
I really like my Wiggy's bag...

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
i've had my north face unimog for nearly 40 years.

lived in it for at least 5.  they rebuilt it about 15-20 years ago.

to me, a bag is the bottom line survival unit, along with a goretex bivy.

if i'm hurt bad, or real sick, i can crawl in and survive.

a full zipper, around the foot, is important to me.

you can adjust your bag 20° just by sticking your feet out.

no tight mummys dor me

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
I have had good success with a Ledge Outdoor's sleeping bag. I have the featherweight 0 degree bag. Been through a number of cold nights with this bag. Tough to beat the price!

chris <><

Offline sledge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
sorry for typos.  the site does just not allow me to correct/edit effectively with my phone.

joe

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2012, 04:15:00 AM »
What Sambar said is bang on!!  I'll repeat it, get an exped down mat for under your bag and you'll add all kinds of warmth and comfort.

I honestly don't even know why they but down on the bottom of the bag   :D  it just gets compressed and doesn't do anything.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2012, 06:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by calgarychef:

I honestly don't even know why they but down on the bottom of the bag    :D   it just gets compressed and doesn't do anything.
Google Big Agnes Sleeping Bag...

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2012, 11:15:00 AM »
For that budget you're going to be looking at down bags with 600 - 650 fill.  The two bags I'd recommend you look at that are close to your budget are the REI Radiant 20 ($209) and the Marmot Sawtooth 15 ($249).  Either bag will be plenty warm for Elk season. I don't have any  experince with the REI bag but my brother has the Sawtooth and is very pleased with it. Personally, for backpacking I would stick with down as it compresses much smaller and to me bulk is just as important as weight.

Either way, take your time and do your research.  You have plenty of time until next September.  You might also want to check out some of the backpacking websites.  Alot of people on those sites spend more time in a sleeping bag in one year than some of us do in a lifetime.

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Well...  A sleeping bag can be the most important piece of gear you own in the back country, which is why I use a Western Mountaineering Badger from September on.  WM bags are not cross baffled, so you can shake most of the down from the bottom of the bag to the top.

I also use an Exped Downmat under my bag
I also live in a heated floorless tent
and, I keep my bag in a Sea to Summit eVent compression sack when its not in the tent.

Contrary to popular belief, a wet synthetic bag can still kill you.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
in that price range...a wiggys' superlight.  Its essentially the overbag for the -40 and -60 systems...rated at +20 cost is 130 bucks. weight is 3lbs.  Wiggy's is the most underrated temperature rated bag on the market!

Offline Dan Adair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2012, 04:47:00 AM »
Wiggy is also the most egotistical doucebag in the backpacking biz.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©