3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sleeping bag options?  (Read 753 times)

Offline gnihsifnamk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sleeping bag options?
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
If you are interested in a synthetic bag the mountain hardwear lamina and ultralamina bags are excellent for weight vs warmth. If you are over 5'11" get the long version though.

Offline quackersnacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
My experience is limited, but I've been so happy with my Mt Hardware Pinole coupled with my Bivy and Alps Mountaineering self inflating pad.  The Bag is synthetic @ 3#3oz, the pad is wider and thicker @4#, the bag is Goretex Military model and decently light.  It was all under $200 but does the job on 3+4 day hunts w/my Badlands 2800.
my 2 cents
"Ain't nothin, never just right when ya wants ta do whatcha wants ta do. So ya best just go ahead and do it anyway" -Rancid Crabtree

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
In my experience the synthetic bags are no better when wet then a down bag...
If your bag gets wet enough and its cold enough either way down or synthetic..your screwed...so don't buy into that myth. Just keep your Bag dry!

I replace the stuff sack with a sea to summit waterproof stuff sack, so for river crossings and downpours your bag is always going to be dry in your pack...even if totally submerged in water.

Then once your tent or fly camp is set up..only then bring out your bag and if your set up properly it should never get wet.

For backpack hunting I go for down... I can pack it up smaller and its slightly lighter.
Also don't overlook a good sleeping pad, its vital for cold nights and over a few days in the back country there is a lot to be said for having a good nights sleep and being able to keep hunting hard.

good luck
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2012, 08:17:00 PM »
I just "field tested" my Big Agnes Lost Ranger bag and BA insulated aircore pad and they passed with flying colors! If your a side sleeper like myself that air core pad is the way to go, trust me your hips will thank you!

Steve

Offline Shane C

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
The bag I have wouldn't be in that price range. I would suggest looking at a website called steepandcheap.com. There has been a sleeping bag that fits your criteria on there. The deals only run 30min or so but if they don't all sell out it cycles through. Also check out sierra trading post. Not sure the kind of weight you're looking for, but if it's not until next year you will have plenty of time to find one.
Wes Wallace Mentor 60" 64@31
Wes Wallace Mentor 64" 50@28
Brush Creek Bows 3-piece longbow 64" 48@28

PBS associate

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Unless your a "big" guy like me the surplus:

ECWS Modular Sleep System -30 Degrees U.S. Suurplus Bivy Patrol Bag Intermediate Bag Compression Sack

are a great system.  Jason uses one and has it's great.  Unforunately I'm too big to fit.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by AkDan:
in that price range...a wiggys' superlight.  Its essentially the overbag for the -40 and -60 systems...rated at +20 cost is 130 bucks. weight is 3lbs.  Wiggy's is the most underrated temperature rated bag on the market!
I know it's an old thread, but I just bought the wiggy bags for my wife and myself they are fantastic,best bags in the business and at a reasonable price, made in USA ! w got the -40 sleep system . And he was great to work with in getting just what we needed.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Paul Shirek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
Wiggy's bags are great. Best I have ever used.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
I agree with Tradtusker.  I have a 25-year-old down bag from Beans that's been to Alaska a few times and out west practically every year.  Never have I gotten it wet, and one trip in Alaska it rained 12 out of the 14-day hunt.

That bag is getting a little compressed after all these years so I recently picked up a Western Mountaineering bag.  Very high quality, high loft down.  New, they're over your price range, but might be able to find a used one.

I'd also recommend a 0 degree bag. I'd rather have a little extra than not enough. It can get mighty chilly when the thremals start running down the mountain at night. You can always open your bag if you're too warm.  Of course, you can put clothes if you're not warm enough, but that's a hassle and rather uncomfortable.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2015, 09:32:00 PM »
Douchebag though he is Wiggy makes the only sleeping bag that is launderable, works when wet, and is made in USA. Down bags work great until the first time you get it wet or stinky and are a colossal waste of money.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2015, 02:06:00 PM »
Rob,
PM sent about REI Outlet (on-line). I just bought two goose down bags (arrived yessterday) that were on sale. They were $419 each originally. I got them for $177 each.  We are flying with these bags so I'm leaving my 30 year old Cabela's synthetic at home.

Online Wolf1007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2015, 08:29:00 PM »
X2 on the Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15. This bag is amazing. I spent a lot of time researching quality bags from Western Mountaineering, Marmot, Kuiu, etc. and kept coming back to the MH Phantom 15. If you hunt around you can find them as low as 349.00. Moontrail.com has them for this price right now in the regular size which is the same size as everyone else's long bag. Hands down the best bag I could find without breaking the 500.00 mark.
Dale Dye Trails End 60" 55#@28"
Dale Dye Medicine Point 58” 53#@28"
Schafer Silvertip 60" 55#@28"
Stalker Wolverine FXT 60" 51#@28"

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2015, 10:36:00 PM »
Just recently discovered the sierra designs back country bed, it is awesome!! I recomended checking it out
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline Harleywriter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2015, 10:47:00 PM »
Are you backpacking deep into backcountry or are you hunting from a trailhead camp? Weight is crucial issue for the former and not a consideration for the latter.

You can get nice warm bag for a lot less money if you don't mind its weight. I have a down bag rated to --40 F that I backpack with because it is light. At any kind of altitude at all, it is pretty cozy even in September.

Most of the time I sleep in my tent or back of my truck and hunt from that camp. For that I use a nice but old sleeping bag and I don't even know the brand. Picked it up real cheap at a flea market.
Schafer Silvertip; Mahaska longbow; Highwood Hunter; Bear Super Kodiak and way too many others

Offline double eagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
I love the military ECWS modular bag for about $100 on the big auction site.  I use one for years, even down to -35 degrees.  As the bag has a patrol bag, outer bag, and gortex bag, it lets you modify the layers based on the temps.  It has never let me down.

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2015, 03:08:00 AM »
I've been looking at the Sierra designs bag with dri-down.  Thinking of a minus 7 bag for early sheep and caribou.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2015, 08:28:00 AM »
I bought a Western Mountaineering several years ago.  One of the best investments I have ever made.
T ZZZZ

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »
I was and still am a Big Agnes fan but I was looking to lighten the load and due to my build couldn't find any BA's that fit the bill. I went with a Enlightend Revelation quilt and LOVE it. Over $200 but under $400.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »
Wiggys X2 I have been using mine for 5 years or more. the great thing you can wash them at home and put in the dryer on a low temp.
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2015, 10:37:00 AM »
Around here I would be looking for a military surplus bag many of which are hardly used or unused...not sure what you have available where you are

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©