3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cock feather in  (Read 281 times)

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
Cock feather in
« on: July 28, 2012, 11:22:00 PM »
I saw a thread here recently about arrow flight being improved,shooting cock feather in. I have experienced this to be true with my set up also. The trouble is,,no one discussed why this is. It seems to me,if the arrow flies better,with the cock feather being in,is correcting something. What is it???

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cock feather in
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »
Page 5...next to bottom, I posted some pics
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »
I dont know which thread it was

Offline Cobrah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »
I tried this on both my bows, my dorado being cut past center, and my Barta longbow being cut to center. From my understanding when the arrow goes into paradox it flexes outward making fetching contact minimal to you shelf, this is if the arrows are tuned properly

With that being said your feathers can properly align the flight of the arrow faster by having 2 feathers on the opposite side of the shaft.

It's hard to explain without diagrams but I'm sure someone will draw something up sooner or later

I shoot with the cock feather in since I tried this, and I have noticed better flight and it almost seems like I get better speed.
Hoyt Dorado Recurve 50#
Tred Barta Longbow 55#

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 12:36:00 AM »
When you shoot cock-feather out, the 4 o'clock feather (on a right-handed setup) has a tendency to catch the quill on the outside-edge of the shelf for some people.  I am one of those people.  Turning it around cock-feather in moves it out of the way.  I shoot cock-feather in, and it only improved my arrow flight.  There were no detrimental effects either, it was all win-win for me.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »
RW cock feather in...notice the odd hen in the "up" position.

LW...nocked normal with cock feather out. Odd hen in "up" position

RW..cock feather out. Notice hen at bottom of shelf...

Right hand shooter...shoot LW or turn cock feather in.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
Way back in the early 70's, my Dad was lucky enough to get into a conversation with Fred Bear. One of the things they talked about was cock feather in, out, etc...My Dad says that Fred told him he tuned his bows with the cock feather out, but when he was in the field, he never paid it much attention on hurried shots. That prompted him to mess with it on the target range. It's sounds silly, sort of ancient 4th party information, but my Dad claims that Fred said there was no difference for him with regard to cock feather position.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
If it is tuned properly it should make no difference.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by ranger 3:
If it is tuned properly it should make no difference.
ditto - Absolutely!

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
we shoot feathers because they fold up when contacting something...i think that cagey old bear guy may have been on to something...many people do not realize this but fred always rested the arrow on his hand which meant hacking up his own factory bows...i would love to just collect those bows...best tuning tip i know is add more point weight
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 01:37:00 PM »
having said the above i shoot cock feather up...try that orientation and see where the feathers will pass the riser
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 02:03:00 PM »
There is nothing "magical" about shooting cock feather in.  

It's a matter of fletching your arrows properly.

Your bow does not know what color your feathers are.

Think about it.
Otto

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 03:38:00 PM »
Cock feather in shoots better for me on my go to bow.  My fletching catches the rug just a touch with cocky feather out.  The setup is tuned well, but I may be doing something with my release...

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure Ken Beck from Black Widow advocates shooting cock feather in. He has a ton of experience and must've had repeatable results that led to that thinking.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
Agree if your arrows are tuned, should not matter.

My pics were only to show feather placement when nocked.

That's what made the Super Slam arrow so popular, you could turn your nocks to adjust feather clearance.

Offline Spitfire Htr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »
Groves Mag II 66# @ 28",          Groves Mag II 55# @ 28",           Groves Magnum 44# @ 28"

Offline Spitfire Htr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
I'm definitely not the brightest when it comes to arrow tuning, but when I shoot cock feather out, I get a high left tear. When I shoot cock feather in. I get a perfect bullet hole with no tears whatsoever. I don't have a clue why that is, but "in" works better for me.
Groves Mag II 66# @ 28",          Groves Mag II 55# @ 28",           Groves Magnum 44# @ 28"

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 01:33:00 AM »
It is just simply less fletch ( feather) contact. Which is a good thing .  Put on plastic fletches and you will see a compounded problem.
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »
i have some super slam 2317's from the nineties and was sure that they would be too stiff for me to ever use...well at age 60 i am shooting 60+ pounds of draw weight at 30 inches and working on shooting more...nothing like a couple of dozen heavy spined arrows to give one the incentive to shoot more weight...i met a fellow from cody, wyoming this spring who is a neighbour of chuck adams and he asked if i knew who chuck is...i just showed him the picture on a super slam

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
Here's example of fletching   :banghead:  contact on my rest
    I would get the odd arrow going more left of the group turned cock feather in, groups  :archer:   togther(anyone have another tuning tip   :dunno:  other than cock in)
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©