3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice for those over 60  (Read 263 times)

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice for those over 60
« on: July 29, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »
If you are an aging archer you probably have experienced some level of your body failing that impacts your shooting; bad eyes, bad shoulders, bad knees etc. If you ever had chicken pox I want to tell you to go get a vaccination for Shingles. This problem comes upon us older guys with no warning, it is a carryover from having chicken pox. It shows as a severe rash usually near your waist line and is very ugly and very painful. Trust me old guys, go get the shot before you have this problem. I know, this stuff hit me while I was at the IBO Worlds. I thought I got into Poison Oak or something. Not so, it turned out to be the Shingles, hard to concentrate on shooting when you are hurting. And....when I say it is ugly, it is nasty ugly!
John

Offline oldgoat

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice for those over 60
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your attack. I am with you on Vac, been through this with 2 close friends I git mine last week.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 06:41:00 PM »
I got mine about a month ago.  After being in the military for 36 years, I thought I'd had every shot there was but not so.  I recommend this shot too but I sure got a lump at the injection point that slowed me down a little for about a week.  GET THE SHOT a lump on your arm will pass, shingles will lay you up for a while!

Arne
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
Got shingles in my mid-30's.  Absolutely no fun.  Wish they'd have had a vacc. back then.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
Maybe this picture will help push you to go get the vaccine!

John

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, 64 here and been meaning to get the shot. Got me a big ole note on the desk now:)

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
Sure hate it for you John... I got it two springs ago... I thought I'd gotten into poison ivy until my wife noticed the pattern of the rash... mine ran from my breastbone to my backbone under my left arm pit... holy cow... not sure I've ever experienced pain like that before... itch so bad you can't stand it... scratch it and then it feels like somebody just lit you up with a blowtorch...

Fellas if you experience any severe localized pain (mine was in my back), felt like someone sticking me with and ice pick... and see the start of a rash like John showed... get to the Dr.  I waited to late for any medication and just had to ride it out... fun! fun!

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
Of coarse the draw back is it is pretty expensive.
I had it early this year, not as severe as some.
A friend had it on his face and it looked like the photo above all over the right side of his face, eyes and forehead.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
The shot is a good idea, but you can still get shingle even if you get the vaccine....talk to your Doctor and get his advice!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline jmrsyrs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
That's some nasty looking stuff. Sure do hate shots but...... Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
Nasty for sure.  Ron is correct, the vaccine is not 100% but still gives you a chance of avoiding Shingles.  I got my shot 3 years ago courtesy of the VA - hope it works.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
Got mine at the VA a few months ago after being 'encouraged' by my wife. Nothing to the shot, and a lot better than the disease.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »
Thx for the reminder
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Harleywriter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 12:32:00 AM »
Was that vaccination really pricey? Doc here says $285
Schafer Silvertip; Mahaska longbow; Highwood Hunter; Bear Super Kodiak and way too many others

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 01:47:00 AM »
I had severe chest pains on the right side of my rib cage.  starting on a Wednesday evening this past March.  It felt like someone was periodically jabbing a sharp stick upward at the base of the rib cage.  Each jab of pain took my breath away.  Friday afternoon, it got so bad I could not get two sentences out at work.  I called my primary physician and was directed to go directly to the emergency room.

When I arrived, I was taken back to an exam room immediately since it was severe chest pain.  Blood work, EKG, chest Xray, ultrasound of my organs, and being poked and prodded by three nurses and two doctors found nothing that was causing my pain. The primary suspect was gall bladder.  I was sent home with a couple of prescriptions for pain medicine and told to come back if teh pain got worse.  Saturday was a little better on the chest pain but I now felt like I had a ruptured disc in my lower back.  I have two there already so I know what that feels like.

Sunday was somewhat better but a red rash had developed on my spine and around my right side to my stomach, right below the rib cage.  Shingles.

I was put on an antiviral immediately ($200 prescription).  The pain was mostly gone in about 3 to 4 weeks, and the blisters were mostly gone in 6 to 8 weeks.  I have scarring wherever I had blisters, which may or may not go away.  Wherever I had blisters, the skin was extremely sensitive to any touch.  I did not get more than a few hours sleep at night because I could not sleep on my right side, back, or stomach for almost a month until the sensitivity of the affected areas decreased substantially.

My medical bills were several thousand dollars, with about $2,200 out of pocket after insurance.

Since my episode, I have had several people tell me they have been diagnosed with a likely gall bladder problem until the blisters show up.

A vaccination is much cheaper and much more convenient.  I just turned 51.  The vaccine is now recommended for anyone over 50, barring medical conditions that would restrict you from receiving it.
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
There is no end of stuff that is just waiting to nail an 'over 60' guy.Personally I'm almost not 'over 60' anymore!    :laughing:    :laughing:  
I am in no way trivializing shingles or anything else for that matter, but advertisers are becoming really skilled at selling fear.  And statistically speaking there are more things that can get you even worse, and cost little or nothing to prevent. Take a few moments and you can make up your own list should you choose to do so.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 02:38:00 PM »
You got my attention...time to visit the Dr....
   :thumbsup:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
I think the vaccine is about $100, about 65% effective.
John

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 07:20:00 PM »
I had a severe case of shingles starting the evening of July 4, 2009 while at my son's summer home and drove home which is a two hour drive on my left hip because my wife was sound asleep in the passengers seat and I didn't know what was happening. I have never had such a burning pain starting in the middle of my spine and going to the middle of my right side chest and I hope I never have to experience it again. Please spend the money and get a vaccine rather than experience it for yourselves.
Regards,
Grouse

Offline hart2hart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
Check with your local health department!!
Think mine cost $10 approx.
After seeing my Mom suffer 5 years,you don't want it!
Docs thought it was bursitis til it was too late.
Also stress is a great instigator to bring it on..
don't sweat the small stuff if possible.
Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©