3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for the spine pros  (Read 135 times)

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for the spine pros
« on: July 29, 2012, 07:47:00 PM »
I'm setting up my 70# ILF rig.  I bareshafted (sorta) a GT 75/95 at 29 1/2", 100 grain brass and 300 field point.  My draw is 28".  I can smoke a ten ring at 20 yards but I've got just short of perfect flight.  I haven't messed with nock height much yet cause I have a couple of new strings coming.  Haven't touched centershot yet either.  Is my spine way off or should I be able to get it perfect without touching the arrow at this point?
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for the spine pros
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »
If I were that close I'd check brace and nock height and make minor adjustments to see if you get improvement.

What is the arrow doing?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »
If you've got some new strings coming, I think I'd just wait to do the bareshafting until you get them.

If they are flying pretty good now, and as long as your new strings match your existing one, you're probably close enough with that arrow setup.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 06:54:00 AM »
Only reason I ask , is I've never used a spine calculator.  I'm a trial and error guy.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't too far off.  I raised the nick height a little and things got even better.  I'm shooting off the shelf but still have a plunged I can adjust.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
It depends on what you mean by 'sorta bareshafted' and 'short of
perfect flight'. The rest sounds good, and if you are 'smoking the 10 ring' with bare shafts you can't be too far off. Nothing wrong with being a 'trial and error' guy. Bareshafters are by definition just that!  :archer:

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
Showing slightly weak.  My strings are here (thanks Oliverstacy) and I'll set my nock height a little higher before I touch the plunger.

My 750 grain arrow chrono'd at 170 on three shots.  My anchor must be consistent.  I could still stand to lose 50 grains if point weight.  I think I'm on the right track.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©