3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Craftsman, Shooter/Hunter or..........??  (Read 568 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Craftsman, Shooter/Hunter or..........??
« on: July 30, 2012, 08:45:00 AM »
As I stumble along this traditional archery trail, I have met hundreds of folks.....all of them different.

I have met craftsmen...some are super talented bowyers, others are arrowsmiths who create a near perfect product. Amazing leather workers. Bowyers who apply science and engineering to thier craft. Most of these guys shoot thier gear well, and do it as a way to create gear to hunt with. Some of them build gear (especially bowyers) just for the sake of building a great product, and don't hunt or shoot very much.

Then there are the shooters/hunters. These guys live for the hunt (or the tournament, or both). Very often this group buys almost everything, makes very little. I'm in this group. I talk about making arrows....nonsense. Somebody else builds the shaft, spining and wieghing them so that I have a good starting point. Another person process's the feathers, builds the nock, and creates the points I will use. By time all the components are on my work bench, the process is somewhat simpler than a building a plastic model car. I couldn't build a bow to save my life. Thanks the Lord for custom bowyers. If I am ever selling a bow that is portrayed as a "custom design"....know that my input would have been something like "lets make it green". My interest is not in the mechanics and technical nature of what we do, but is out there in the woods.....why are deer on that trail? What is the wind doing? If I get stuck out here will I be ok overnight?How can I get to the end of this bloodtrail?

What truly AMAZES me, are you guys that are BOTH. I have met only a few. Guys that can make the bow (superbly), hang the deer, and do it all with ease. I have met a few guys who could probably go off the grid with a pocket knife and have a bow built and backstraps roasting within the day. Awesome.

So which are you? Craftsman? Hunter/shooter? Or the elusive All Around Traditional Archery Master?
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Craftsman, Shooter/Hunter or..........??
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
I'd like to think a bit of both, I make arrows, quivers, made a few bows, not a bad woodsman. I will say that I know I am a long way from a master of anything!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
Ron W.....your signature line says a lot for me in this regard....I try and spend a lot of time with "better" bow shooters, better woodsman. I am almost 50 and proud of my open "beginners mind". I like that....always be the beginner.

G. Fred Asbell

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 09:25:00 AM »
A little of both. Love to shoot 3-D and hunt. I make all of my arrows, wood, aluminum and carbon but crest and cap all of them because I like a little individuality in my arrows. I made most of my wood arrow making and maintenance tools, spine tester, broadhead spinner, arrow painting racks, etc. I made some of my hunting paraphenalia most buy these days like face mask, pull up rope, tree hooks, etc.

I wish I had the skill to make a bow but don't so shoot high tech stuff.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
I try to dabble all around, but do not profess to be a master in any line.  With out leaving my job, family and friends becoming a hermit and shunning the demands of modern society, I don't think I could find the time to master all.  I strive to keep learning and improving in all aspects of art and craft of woodsmanship and archery.  That is what keeps me so hooked, there is so much left to learn and master.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »
If you are involved in archery long enough, you tend to become the all around archer.  I've been at it more than 50 years.  Built a lot of glass laminated bows, sold a few.  Also built a few self-bows. Use (ed) them a lot, but I also buy bows built by other bowyers, more the latter now. Build my own quivers, arrows, including processing my own feathers, strings, etc., even sewed some of my own clothes using down from Canada geese I killed.  Have been building wood and canvas canoes for more than 25 years.  Often use one of those to get into hunting areas and/or get critters out.

I attend at least 20 3-D tournaments a year;  won a good share of them back in the day.  Retired now so am able to spend six-eight weeks or more bow hunting every year.  All my hunts, including out-of-state hunts, are DYI. Bow hunting is what I live for.  The rest is part of the experience.

Oops.  Forgot, did two Alaskan moose hunts that were outfitted.  (Jay Massey and Ernie Holland)  They provided rafts, food, tent. Flew us in and picked us up after a 14-day hunt on the river. Two of the best hunts ever.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »
Orion, you sound like one of the guys I shut up and listen to....  :thumbsup:

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
Roger:  We'd probably get along because I talk alot, most folks say too much.   :bigsmyl:

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
Roger, like you I depend on others to make my gear and am in awe of people like Greg who now has made me 3 different Shrews in 5 years (4 soon), or Brian Wessel who has made me two, or South Cox who has made me two, or Chad Holm who has made me two...ok you get the picture  :)  

I read Jay Massey's books recently and now want to make a self-bow to try and hunt with. I fool with arrows and such but truth be known, I got no skills   :scared:  I am a hunter first, but often wonder how much cooler it'd be standing over a dandy buck with gear that I have made. Someday maybe...until then, keep the new bows comin'!
Mike Davenport

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Seems like I modify every piece of equipment that I use until it suits me.

My equipment is geared towards one thing, hunting.

I hunt from mid September through mid January missing only a few days. Then I coyote hunt the rest of the year! I am a hunter and I am blessed to be able to hunt like I do.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
Heck I guess I'm the Jack of all trades but master of none, LOL.

I have made many arrows over the years, I mostly buy my good woodies from Bounty Hunter.

I have made a couple quivers, one that I'm proud of.

I have made several arm guards, there's a couple that I'm proud of.

I make my own 3 under tabs, and I prefer them to any that I've tried. The good news is Saunders is going to start making a 3 under tab next year so I will not be making them much longer.

I have made a couple bows, and I'm very proud of them. I have even took a file to a custom bow and the results were outstanding.

I shoot 3D and hunt and I love to do both.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »
Hunter/Shooter/hobbyist? I have made self bows and ordered mostly 'brown bows'. My woodies are 'assembled' by me. Roger you brought up some great thoughts...........and did you know that the biggest buyers of paintings are artists?

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
I can roll a half decent wood arrow, but after that I'm done. I feel that I am better than most in the woods.

Hap

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »
I'm a legend in my own mind.   :D  

Truth is I'm not that good at any of it but love it so much I keep coming back for more. Maybe I have an above average desire.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
I think most of us are very good at some part of it. I'm ok in the woods, I think I understand whitetails reasonably. I have no problem getting up early. I don't have much trouble shooting (I am lucky there...I had a bow put in my hands at a super young age, and I have stuck with it). One of the intangibles that is "in my head", is that I have a huge desire to put an arrow on a game animal, especially deer. Sometimes that works in reverse....I have shot a lot of does that a trophy hunter would have let walk, waiting for Mr Big. But dang it...when they are standing there, broadside with that foot kinda forward, and unaware....I HAVE TO see fletching blossom RIGHT THERE! I'm with you Rob W....huge desire to put game in the freezer.

G. Fred Asbell

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »
Roger,
For the most part...I am a dreamer.  I have fletched a few arrows, made a six longbows, killed a dozen or so Whitetails with trad equipment (mostly recurves) but am not a master at any of it.  

I absolutely love this stuff!!

That's all I have to say about that....  :p

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
I too am a dreamer.  Can barely get four fletching arrows down to a science. I was however fortunate enough to be brought up in rural northern Michigan and had what I consider a real childhood that flourished in hunting, fishing and trapping.  Made the progression(if you call it that) from trad to compound then back to trad.

I was raised a hunter for the freezer and still remain that.  I have worked for outfitters that cater to trophy hunters and that experience has only deepened my passion as a meat hunter.

A fine example of this would be when I passed on a large 50+ bull moose for the spike that was in the same meadow.  Plenty meat and less work...  :readit:  

Hunters that hold SCI recognition and can't even hike to 4,000 feet just astounds me...  I love the hunt, but making meat is what I do...

So if this is a poll of sorts that makes my vote a hunter that wishes he was a craftsman.

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 07:06:00 PM »
Hunter/shooter here! I could go on a hunt or to a big 3D shoot every day of my life if my finances (and my wife) could stand it.

I have built one bow and that was enough for me to know that bowyers should build bows and I should just buy the ones I like from them and help keep them in business.

Bisch

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »
Hunter / shooter,  camp cook
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
Hunter / shooter,  camp cook
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©