3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Craftsman, Shooter/Hunter or..........??  (Read 566 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Craftsman, Shooter/Hunter or..........??
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
I'm a hunter/shooter minus the 3D shoots.  Truly love being out.  Been hunting for almost 35 years and have grown tired of the rat race that some view hunting to be.  It's not all about the kill, it is about being happy with your decisions and your performance.  I have a buddy who is ultra competitive during deer season.  I guess I once was also, but, now, I live by the view that I am the only person that has to be happy with the small buck I shoot, the yearling, the doe, the Jake, etc.
If I can live with my decision, then, to me at least, it was a good one.
As for craftsman.....I would love to.....LOL.....but I know just how untalented I am.
Ken
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 08:21:00 PM »
Personally, I do my best to be a Bit of All  3 !! I admit that I havent had a "Kill" yet,  CLOSE  but that doesnt count.
 I will Never  BUY  Another Arrow as long as I Live, thats just me. Working on a Bow now, have failed attempts several times.
  Love 3Ds and Punching Paper, but dont want a steady diet of either.
  So I dont know what "Type" or "Category" that puts me in, I just Know  ITS ALL GOOD!!!   :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
HUNTER- shooter - and can butcher wood enough to make my own bows and arrows.

And you are right, nothin like walkin up to a critter downed with something you made to use.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with being a meat Hunter Roger, in my mind. Meat Hunter here! I have found Big does to be nervous nellies, a challenge and mighty tasty. As far as Bows, arrows and the like, I depend on the masters of their art for me to use such fine tools.
...Mark

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
I'm a hunter..I'm either in the woods or thinking about my next trip to the woods. I can't make anything but a mess...but I have fun making that mess!   :wavey:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
I would consider myself a hunter/shooter. Ive made a couple self bows that turned out well enough, but realized that Ill leave bow building to the pros.I really enjoy crafting and hunting with my own wood shafts, as well as doing most of my own leather crafting, it seems to add to the overall experiance for me if you put a little bit of your skills into the hunt.
Ive found that some folks are more skilled than others in the crafts and we as trad. hunters and shooters are blessed to have some very fine craftsmen among us.

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
Hunter/shooter here, someday i would love to build my own bows, I assemble my own arrows now but like you said that doesnt really count. At this stage in my life with 3 kids a job and wife, i just dearly love quiet times. Its good for the soul.
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 09:40:00 PM »
Lets see, I have made a self bow, wood arrows and fletched and hafted them, tagged out that year with it,killing my oldest most mature buck and have been trad ever since. I make my own knives, and craft carbon arrows also. I have taken many a compound riser and machined it and made a very good shooting, forgiving bow, with aftermarket recurve limbs. I make my own flemish and endless loop strings. I process my own deer, and waste nothing. I  hunt mostly on the ground, in several natural blinds, but also use pop ups, and have had success with ghillies and nothing else between me and deer and turkeys. I could never take a turkey with a compound bow, but since going trad, have been lucky enough to take 13, along with several deer, due largely to the way I have changed my thinking and hunting with trad gear. I think I am  a good tracker, have tracked deer badly hit by friends for over 500yds and recovered them with a speck of blood now and then, and mostly learned insticnt as to which way a wounded animal will go, only time spent afield will teach you this. I mostly buy others bows, too many good bowyers out there that are much more profecient than me. I excel at building accurate bolt actions, for hunting or long range target, and have built some beautiful and deadly accurate trad muzzleloaders, that have helped me win local,  state and national championships, in other years. I make my own cast bullet/balls, and cast my own bullets for my centerfire pistol ammo, and load all my own centerfire rifle ammo, have never taken a deer with factory rifle ammo, all my home rolled. I have had a few magazine articles publised on the above, hunting, gunsmithing, and trad archery. I was blessed at a young age, to grow up around a old time blacksmith, and a retired Marine armorer, who shared their knowledge, patience, and a cold coke and well done from time to time, with a idiot kid who could not stop asking questions,and was over eager to do everything, and did not listen well enough. I work to pay this forward, by volunteer coaching 4H kids, now that mine are grown. As I type this, I realize how much I have been blessed and had the opportunity to do. As to being a master of trad archery, as a whole, I feel like I am just getting started after doing this off and on for over 35 years, still feel the excitement as I head across the yard to shoot, or thru the woods, still get the nimrod excitment and enthusiasm. I pray that never changes.Thanks for this thread, hope it doesnt sound like I am bragging, just reflecting a lot lately.
samuel koger

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
Dang boy, you're getting all philosophical on me.     ;)    I think we all have different levels that we participate on depending on means, time and 'what floats our boat'.  I want to someday make my own self bow, flint tip arrow with wrapped feathers and a self nock, ect., but for now I'm like you and buy bows and assemble arrows. I've still got growing daughters in the house that are involved in other things as well as archery. Hopefully they'll take up bow hunting this year or next, but that would just be icing on the cake of watching them shoot at animal targets with their lightweight recurves.  

I think 'experts' are really just well experienced individuals who are willing to share proven ideas with those who haven't traveled the same path of hard knocks they've traveled. However there's probably always an 'expert' that they can learn from as well, so never rest on your laurels.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
I'm a dreamer, I guess.  I fancy that at best I may be a little bit above average as a shooter, and tool around making things in my basement that I can use in the field.  I build and fletch my own aluminum arrows (not much to that), but buy my bows and knives and broadheads from people that know what they're doing.  I've no interest in building bows, but sure appreciate those that do.

I've never killed anything but lots of gophers and squirrels and rabbits with trad gear, and am working on my first deer this year... again.  The nice thing about traditional equipment is that the journey is so enjoyable, even when you aren't especially successful in your pursuits.  

Traditional bowhunting has proven to be a most excellent hobby for me.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
I like to shoot stuff with fur on it...feathers too. I have built a dozen or so bows. Most were butt ugly but functional and I have taken game with some of them. I also like to shoot 3d but have not in years. I take my vacation time with Family first then a week or so for a hunt. I am blessed to be able to walk from home and hunt and have thousands of acres of public land within 15 minutes. Most of all I have a Wife that loves me and does not mind if I hunt...or maybe she wants me out of the house more...either way we are both happy.RC

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2012, 11:06:00 PM »
I have three talents, one is I can shoot pretty good ( at least in my mind ) two is, I have a talent for hunting ( or i'm just lucky in that department ) , and three, I can boil an egg !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2012, 02:13:00 AM »
If'n I ever become a master I'll just quit.

In the mean time I'll keep making bows and arras and breaking rock and learning the skills, dreaming of a better time in an era long gone when you could step outside the tepe and concrete was non existant nor a power line to be seen. A feller had to know his skills to survive and feed his family.

He could go to the woods for days on end and never see another soul.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2012, 02:41:00 AM »
I can boil an egg,well maybe  :biglaugh:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »
I guess I'm more a hunter/tinkerer.  I've been doing traditional archery since 1980.  Started later in age at 34 but fell in love with longbows.  I seem to be like Pat B in I'll modify or make my gear to what feels right to me...even if that means re-grinding a custom bow, knife, etc.  

I love to hunt!  Hunting with items I make is just more enjoyable for me!  So again more a tinkerer than craftsman...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 08:24:00 AM »
Tippit, your knives are much more than those of a tinkerer, they are made by a craftsman!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline nybowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 09:09:00 AM »
I do it all. I've made my own arrows. Some primative and some from bought shafts. Also made my own Quiver and hunting knife. I'm always trying to learn how to make or better my gear.  I love to hunt and you can't get me out of the woods. I've got a 18 yd shot in the basement so I shoot all year. I just can't get enough Trad.
The morning first light ,In the stand, Griffin longbow in my hand >>>==========> PRICELESS

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
I'm the craftsman.  I can shoot and hunt, but those are mostly just things I do, but not really where my talent lies.  Plus I find making bows more enjoyable than hunting.  Hunting is hard work in reality.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
I'm a hunter first and foremost, but like to make my own stuff. Bows are about the only thing I've haven't tried. Do my own taxidermy, build my flintlocks, tie flies, reload,...etc. Maybe there's a selfbow and good knife in my future.

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
I am , I guess , a shooter/hunter. I have my arrows fletched now though I used to do it myself. I set my bows up myself to shoot where I look but buy most all of my stuff. Shoot 3-d and love to hunt. Shoot 4 to 5 days a week all year round.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©