3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chigger help....Please  (Read 613 times)

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
Chigger help....Please
« on: July 30, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
I was out in the woods all weekend...scouting for Hog sign and looking at areas to "hopefully" get my first trad shot at a deer this season. I've been out of the area for quite a few years and forgot about those pesky little guys!   :help:   I was wearing long cotton cargo style pants and good boots. I am eaten up with chigger bites! Even below the boot line down to my ankles.  How does that happen?   :confused:  
Can anyone give advice on the right product to use to help with this or should I just "man up" if I'm going to be out in the woods during this time of year?    :dunno:  
  Also worried about the smell of standard bug sprays etc!

Thanks folk!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chigger help....Please
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
I use perminone. Spray my boots and clothes. Hadnt had a chigger in 20 years since starting to use it. Keeps most of the ticks off also.
Horesflys are another story. It slows them down a bit, but they ran me out of the woods this weekend.
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 02:43:00 PM »
The best system I have found (from spending a career that has me in the woods year around)is to purchase some nylon gaitors (I use Rocky Mountain Low Gaitors) or some of the stretchy leg cuffs commonly sold as tick gaitors.  Spray these down with permanone on a regular basis and you will not have any problems with chiggers beyond the rare bite or two.

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 02:52:00 PM »
Go to WalMart and buy some Permanon.  It will rid you of all your chigger problems.  That stuff works great.

Good Luck.
Moon

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
Went in the woods for an extended time this past Weds. I used permanone. No chiggers.

I went into the woods to check my mineral lick Thursday. Spent all of five minutes in the woods. Eaten up from chest to ankles and even some on my feet. (last count was around 50 bites)

Permanone is THE way.

You can buy a 6oz Permetherine concentrate for cattle and mix your own. You'll have years worth of coverage.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
Agree permanone is the way to go, once dry on your clothing no odor and lasts several weeks. Ticks and redugs/chiggers are bad this year.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
This will make you feel a little less manly unless you can get a female type friend to make the purchase for you, but I have combined an old Infantry trick involving "sock liners" (women's knee high panty hose) soaked in the afore mentioned permanone.  You then have a knee high skin tight layer of fantastic insecticide.  Add that to the regular treatment of your boots, socks, and pants and you should be golden.  You feel a little goofy at the dollar store buying ten or fifteen of the little plastic ball panty hose containers for $.99 each, but it's well worth it to avoid the parasite problems.
Silence is golden.

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
scouting ,rain suit bibs and duct tape cuffs to rubber boots and some round the waste ,if a fly spray that area..works for me

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 05:44:00 PM »
Skitch
Here in Oklahoma, the seed ticks hatch out in late july and are so small, they are hard to see.  I bet that's what you got into.  Perminone works best for them.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
If you got into them dadgum seed ticks the only thing you can do if they bit you is ride out.

I feel for you bud LOL them buggers are nasty.

The last time I forgot to use permanone and I found those little ticks on me I rushed home and dusted myself in seven dust waited about five minutes and took a hot shower.

Better to get the permanone and be ready to begin with
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 05:56:00 PM »
We always waited till after a VERY HARD frost before going to south jersey(chigger country around here) the itch that keeps on moving LOL
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
I will still bet it was chiggers.  The sandy parts of my property are full of them.  Went out in shorts a few weeks ago like an idiot. Had one 6 inch section of my leg with over 50 bites.  Permanone does wonders.  I have been spraying much more that a gator area, but that sounds pretty convenient.  Just won't help if you decide to sit, then you will gets bites at the waistline.

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 07:51:00 PM »
Get some Tea Tree Oil to put on the bites. That works wonders.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
I have always used "Clear Nail Polish" for the After Effects. Smothers the little Creatures!!  :thumbsup:   Gonna have to try Permanone, sounds like Good Stuff! I usually just use "Deep Woods Off", the Dry Kind is the Bomb! Especially for Wee Ones!  :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 08:28:00 PM »
Chiga-Rid the best out there. Permanone to prevent and Chiga-Rid if you forget the Permanone.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
The other pluses about using Permanone, Permathrin, etc. is that it is nearly odorless once dry.  It does not eat bow finishes, vehicle clearcoats, plastics, fly line, and watch faces like deet based repellants do.  It lasts about two weeks on your clothes, even through washings if applied correctly.
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »
best ways to get rid of them once gotten, clorox does the job fast feel the burn, kerosene about the same white vinegar no burn but will kill them , clorox hurts but no faster way do I know to rid yourself of the itch!!!!get em bad in Bama, thanks for tips on prevention like to hear a few more.
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 10:23:00 PM »
I spray Deep Woods Off on my bare skin from my knees to my toes, put on my socks, spray them with Off.  Then I put on my bibs and longsleeve shirt, both sprayed with permanone, or similar.  Anything that gets into my rubber boots gets to deal with permanone and/or deet.  After a frost or two, I just use permanone for the ticks.  A deer isn't going to smell my Off while upwind of me.  If it smells my Off, it's downwind and would smell me anyway.  I hate to itch!!!!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »
Everything mentioned so far is very good, but don't spray bug spray on your skin that is meant for your clothes, Badgers anti-bug spray is very good for a clothes spray and excellent for your skin, it's even O.K. for kids. Since I have been using this I never get any chiggers or ticks. I spray my socks, above the boot and even with shorts on I never get them, try it, you'll like it.

Now that you have them, use an antibiotic cream for a few days and that will get rid of them.

Hope you feel better.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »
have not had the pleasure of chigs this yr yet - I just do not even stress em anymore, wear knee high rubber boots with trousers tucked and no sprays and the such. Just suck up what ever I get.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©