3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chigger help....Please  (Read 612 times)

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Chigger help....Please
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 11:37:00 PM »
WOw...all great suggestions.  Thanks for the input guys!  Looks like i'm about to invest in some permanone!  I'll check out some of the other suggestions too.  Hell I might even buy some pantyhose!!(knee socks) This itch is sure a P.I.the A!  I'll try the antibiotics first..then go for the bleach etc if it gets too bad.  

I do remember painting my legs with clear nail polish when I was in my teens and used to get eaten up.  Also remember a lot of the pink stuff.

Thanks again!  I really hope there are no seed ticks happening!  Had a few of the regular ticks a few weeks ago and those are no fun.
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline eminart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
It is a misconception that chiggers bury into the skin and stay there. So all the nail polish/alcohol type remedies aren't killing the chiggers. They may relieve some of the itching in some way, but it isn't by smothering or killing the chiggers.

Usually a good coating of regular old deep woods off works pretty well for me against chiggers. It's useless against ticks though, so the permethrin suggestions are probably a good bet. The only draw back is you shouldn't spray it directly on your skin, and I usually wear shorts in the summer - snakes, bugs, and briars be damned.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 10:07:00 AM »
Get some rynoskin. What can't reach your skin can't bite you. For stinging insects like moskitos wear a shannon bugtamer over it.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »
Permathrin before and long fingernails after.

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
My grandmother-inlaw told me to rub salted pork on them after. It works.LCH

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hoyt:
Permathrin before and long fingernails after.
:clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2012, 06:16:00 AM »
Ditto for the RhynoSkin.  In addition I also use the Perma thirin soak for outerwear.  For flies, no-seeums, and skeeters, I use a ThermaCell.  

This year, I have started to condition myelf with MSM.  It is in my Glucosamin and Chondroitin supplement.  It is a type of sulphur, which is supposed to permeate out from your skin after you've been taking it for 2-3 months.  It is supposed to repel all sorts of bugaboos.  I am on day 19, in preparation for the October 1st bow opener.  We shall see.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »
Test any spray before covering your skin or clothing to make sure you aren't allergic to it.  

One canoe trip, my brother noticed a few chiggers and sprayed himself from toes to neck.  I never seen anyone swell up like that, he had to pry one eye open to see his way down to the canoe. We were off to the hospital after I paddled that night to the next bridge.  

Put a little on your wrist for a day and see what happens.

Post bite... clear fingernail polish works better than any of the poor choices left to you.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »
I read or heard somewhere that a remedy for fire ants was to mix powder meat tenderizer with water to make a paste. Place it on the bites for 30 minutes. Wash off and repeat.

Can't remmeber where though. It might work for curing the ungodly itch of chigger bites.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
What is the best way to tell from the bite symptoms whether they are chigger bites or seed ticks?

Offline Ranger75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »
X2 on the clear fingernail polish, and X2 on the fact that they don't burrow under the skin.

Don't know why or how it works, but the nail polish immediately soothes the itch and lasts all day for me.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
Never seen a chigger and only two ticks in my life both were on my dogs. Live in central NY I know there are ticks to the east but don't seem to be where I hunt.  I think I am glad after reading this post.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
Years ago, I use to hunt the eastern shore of Maryland, the chigger capital of the world. One time, I had over 300 bites on one leg alone. I was lit up! That was the most misrible 2 weeks of my life! Evil, pure evil, those little suckers....

Like others have said, peranone your clothes and wear long pants tucked into rubber boots. It's a good combo that keeps them at bay. Best way to deal with them is to prepare for them in the first place. Pantyhose and nail polish are for the womenfolk. Rubber boots and peranone are your friends and you get to keep your man card....bonus!
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by pavan:
What is the best way to tell from the bite symptoms whether they are chigger bites or seed ticks?
Chiggers, if magnified, look like seed ticks. They emit emzymes which immediately kill skin cells and they then feed off the dead skin. Seed tick usually stay attached and suck blood. Seed ticks are about 10 times the size of chiggers. The chiggers around here make you look like you have specks of red dust on your skin as they crawl around. After feeding, they release from their host and lay eggs for the life cycle to continue.

I'd rather be bitten by seed ticks than chiggers.

If you have scattered red bumps that's more than likely chiggers. On me the bites swell up like a poison ivy pustule.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2012, 05:51:00 PM »
Post red bug bite I used the shampoo for head lice like a lotion, effective, let it sit a bit then shower off. No matter what treatment itch takes several days to dissipate for me.
Best is to avoid the little buggers. Permanone on my socks, snake boots, shirt and pants keeps all of those critters off me. We have a few on the coast of SC.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by maxwell:
Never seen a chigger and only two ticks in my life both were on my dogs. Live in central NY I know there are ticks to the east but don't seem to be where I hunt.  I think I am glad after reading this post.
You can't see chiggers....unless you have a microscope.

very informative link...

http://www.medicinenet.com/chiggers_bites/discussion-918.htm

It sounds like the nail polish, et all remedies that keep air from getting to the bite to relieve the itching.
"A man is best judged by what he does when nobody else is watching."

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
Maybe we have some big ones in bama  because on a sunny day barely see the little red specks moving around especially on white concrete or wood with a good growth of weeds on either side,but yes is possible to see them not easy though.
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
Listerine Is what a friend from south jersey swears buy poured on or dabbed on (minty fresh LOL)to releave the itch I was chicken any went to the DR and got a shot to prevent the itching from driving me crazy
(I beleave an anti-histamine )
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
Scarne..that ws a great link...if you click on the "back to chiggers" link it gives some great info.  Thanks!  Looks like about everything recommended here is on there!  Maybe not the dousing of ones body with SEVEN dust!!!!  Although the damn itching could lead one to try just about anything.  

Thanks everyone for the help.  Hope it helps others that find themselves infested!  

That article says they don't bite in weathere below 60 or above 99...I beg to differ.  It's been pretty darn hot here in OK and I definitely got more than a few bites!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
I never go in the swamps without spraying around ankles and waist line with bug spray.Deer spooking smell or not hunting ain`t fun if you are itching to death.RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©